Coil overs vs Shelby Drop front Suspension - Vintage Mustang Forums
 24Likes

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Coil overs vs Shelby Drop front Suspension

Thinking in the future which set up is trebly better and why and hopefully from direct experience:

1967 fastback

1. Bilstein font coil over (or similar)

Vs

2. Shelby drop 1 inch lowering springs, bilstein shocks, and with upgraded uppers Lower(no rubber bushings) and struts rods with no rubber bushings.

So my last 67fb I had option 2. I thought it was a pretty nice ride. Of course everyone says coil overs are the best and a much better street ride. But is it really that much noticeable and worth the extra 1200$ ish?

Anyone have direct experience with the above?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:26 PM

Everyone has been wrong at least once so don't believe everything they say.
What is a coil-over if not a spring over the shock with an adjustable rate and height?

Verbose Vocabularian
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:42 PM

A year ago was running just the Arning drop with lowering springs and poly SD spring perches. This past winter I installed the SoT Bilstein coil over system. I consider it a good investment since I dabble in auto cross and it made an incredible difference in the car at events. Even on a street only car I think you would notice better ride quality.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Nailbender,

So obviously you have direct experience which is awesome and I appreciate your comment. With the coil over what is the main difference while driving.

Example: at highway speeds 70mph does we it feel more planted and stable?

Also Did you have any oversteer or bump steer issues?

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:32 PM

If you're talking coil over mounted on the lower control arm, I personally felt a night and day difference when I went from the stock suspension with 1" lowering GT springs and arning drop to the Street or Track suspension. The simplest way to describe the lower control arm coil over is that the ride feels more like a modern car. I know that's vague and it'll never be a modern car but all of the harshness over uneven road surfaces virtually disappeared. It was immediately noticeable on the first drive with eyeballed alignment and was even better after a proper alignment.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Lightning,

Did you have this setup?

1ofAMillion+ likes this.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm2380 View Post
Nailbender,

So obviously you have direct experience which is awesome and I appreciate your comment. With the coil over what is the main difference while driving.

Example: at highway speeds 70mph does we it feel more planted and stable?

Also Did you have any oversteer or bump steer issues?
The coilover setup did eliminate an anal pucker moment from one of my favorite back roads and I have no bump steer that I know of.

You certainly don't have to go full gonzo to have a nice handling Mustang. I wanted to give the rice burners a run for their money at autocross events. More experienced drivers are able to do that while driving my car while I'm slowly catching on.

If your starting from total worn out stock I don't see how the coil overs are going to be that much more $'s wise when all is said and done.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:32 PM

For track competition, I can understand wanting to go with a coilover suspension. FWIW, my '70 Mustang has:

- Arning drop
- Scott Drake street performance coil springs
- Roller Spring perches
- Bilstein shocks
- 1-1/8" front anti-sway bar
- Factory rear anti-sway bar
- Export brace.
- (I have a Monte Carlo bar, but it won't fit with the factory shaker.)

I've had the car up to 100 MPH and it tracks straight as the string. The front end does not float or drift. Bumps in the road get soaked up nicely. (My car is a Mach 1 and it has a factory style front spoiler. Not sure if that actually does anything.)

Just today I went on a cruise with my Mustang club. I was following a brand new 2019 Bullitt edition Mustang with "magna-ride" suspension. We were moving pretty good on a windy, mountain road. When we stopped, the Bullitt owner expressed how surprised he was that my "old Mustang" was able to keep up with his new Mustang so well. He was quite impressed.

Of course, on a track, I'm sure that Bullitt Mustang would be able to do things my car can't do. That's OK. I didn't really build my car for track competition. I have done autocross one and I plan to do it more. It's just for fun. I'm not intending to win any championships. But currently, my Mustang is much more capable than I am as a driver.
Harryburroughs likes this.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:36 PM

This is a pic of my car in the rear view mirror of the Bullitt. Just wanted to throw this in there because, hey, everyone likes pictures, right? This was before we hit the winding, mountain road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July_Cruise.jpg (68.2 KB, 42 views)

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Thinking in the future which set up is trebly better and why and hopefully from direct experience:

1967 fastback

1. Bilstein font coil over (or similar)

Vs

2. Shelby drop 1 inch lowering springs, bilstein shocks, and with upgraded uppers Lower(no rubber bushings) and struts rods with no rubber bushings.

So my last 67fb I had option 2. I thought it was a pretty nice ride. Of course everyone says coil overs are the best and a much better street ride. But is it really that much noticeable and worth the extra 1200$ ish?

Anyone have direct experience with the above?

You'd have to have serious, serious dollars in a factory front end to even come close to the performance of an
aftermarket coil-over. And no matter what you did, you couldn't get close to the compliant ride of a CO.

I've got no dog in the fight but I've been tuning suspensions for 20+ years.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wh-DSC_0687x_zpsacc4b3d7.jpg (85.9 KB, 32 views)
Huskinhano and Grabber70Mach like this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:08 AM

I have your option #2. Sort of.
Shelby drop, opentracker boxed lowers, adjustable strut rods and RideTech Coilovers.

So, it is not a true coilover like the SoT . The only reason I went with this is because my uppers were new and I already had Global West strut rods installed a long time ago.

I like the ride. My friend thinks it is a little stiff. Hitting potholes still kind of jars you. But going over the same potholes in my Fusion is pretty similar. San Francisco has horrible streets.

After saying all that. If I were to do it again. SoT Coilovers for sure. I have learned you might as well stay with the best and not look back.

...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. CI Aliminum Head, Holley 350,
Schneider 264/274 cam, Headers, Recurved DSII, MSD 6A, and a whole lotta other stuff!
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:43 AM

There are coil overs and then there are coil overs. There are some coil over kits that basically replace the stock package and then there are kits like Street or Track that designed a proper coil over. The ones that replace the stock spring are IMO for marketing. A kit like Street or Track are making direct improvement. With the Street or Track by moving the spring and shock to the lower arm allow for a longer spring and a bigger shock that can hold more fluid for better cooling. With a longer spring you allow for more finite adjustment and control. A major reason though is by moving the spring closer to the wheel you improve the motion ratio which means you can do more with less spring rate for a better ride and more control.

My hind sight 20/20 as a suspension newbie. Part of a suspension upgrade is for better handling and part is for better feel. I run a full non coil over Street or Track suspension. Besides the better geometry which makes the car handle better is getting rid of rubber bushings. My suspension is all bearing. By eliminating a flexing bushing with something that doesn’t, dramatically improves the feel and response in every day driving. It adds to the modern feel. Better geometry and alignment settings are the other part of the equation.

I spent a couple years learning about suspensions both by reading and picking the minds of people who know what they are doing like @289GT. I’ve learned a lot and I’m still learning a lot. I highly recommend taking time to learn about suspensions and the faults of the Mustang suspension before you dig in.

Self serving photo for glory and attention

2nd 66 and vegasloki like this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

Last edited by Huskinhano; 07-14-2019 at 12:46 AM.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
This is a pic of my car in the rear view mirror of the Bullitt. Just wanted to throw this in there because, hey, everyone likes pictures, right? This was before we hit the winding, mountain road.
Kinda reminds me of the scene from Bullitt.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9” rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Lightning,

Did you have this setup?

Yes that is the suspension Im running. I have the street valved shocks and feel it was money well spent.
Huskinhano likes this.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757

Last edited by Lightning; 07-14-2019 at 03:14 AM.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver66 View Post
Kinda reminds me of the scene from Bullitt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
My wife and older son in the Emberglo following my younger son and me on a little pleasure drive...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190506_175940.jpg (397.5 KB, 27 views)
rpm2380 and Quicksilver66 like this.

'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories
...my first car

'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Power Steering
•Dealer Air Conditioning •Console

'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory Air Conditioning •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page