Sway Bar Questions - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 8Likes

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Klutch,

Any thoughts on any of those manufacturers and the bushing linked to?

The Raybestos are in a closeout status which if I remember correctly the poly bushings and mounting brackets were something like sub $3. Total was $7 with shipping.

I know Raybestos is a good brake company and that's all I have experience with prior.

1965 Fastback Mustang
Rangoon Red
289ci V8, 4-speed Toploader

Last edited by ricer333; 07-18-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

I just decided to go with the Raybestos 1" bushings & new brackets from RockAuto. Figured it met the needs of what I was looking for. They'll be in mid-week next week and I'll try to get them installed the weekend they arrive. When I do, I'll take some follow-up pictures and post here as a comparison.

1965 Fastback Mustang
Rangoon Red
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:46 PM

One more thing to check... Are the bolts for your shock tower tops (and shocks) tight? If not, you will hear similar noises going in and out of the driveway.

69 Cutlass Convertible

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth66 View Post
One more thing to check... Are the bolts for your shock tower tops (and shocks) tight? If not, you will hear similar noises going in and out of the driveway.
Garth66, can you or anyone else for that matter provide reference points (visually) for me to know where these bolts are to check?

Do the bolts have a specific ft lbs to torque to?

Should the car be under load, as in, should the car be on the ground so that the suspension is under load to check?

Sounds simple enough to validate given I know which bolts I'm looking for.

Thanks!
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:20 AM

Garage
I think he's refering to the shock absorber upper mounting bracket. The shock bolts to it and then it bolts to the shock tower.

Per the 67 shop manual the shock absorber to the bracket should be 10-15ft-lbs and the bracket to body should be 8-16ft-lbs.

Here's a picture from the shop manual of removing the bracket and shock to show what it looks like:
67-shock-bracket.jpg
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Did I mark the diagram correctly?

Did I mark the areas correctly?

Are these the suggested bolts & torque's that I should be checking against?

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 67-shock-bracket_edited.jpg (52.4 KB, 116 views)

1965 Fastback Mustang
Rangoon Red
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
The upper ball joints are the "load bearing" joints...the lowers are sort of "just along for the ride". Agree with Klutch about popping noises usually associated with a worn ball joint(s). Sway bar bushings typically squeak and your photos look good. I'd check the upper ball joints for play... remember, you want to jack the car by the SUBFRAME, not the lower control arm, to take the weight off the suspension. Do this for greasing the joint(s), too.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:48 AM

Yup, these are the points I was referring to!

69 Cutlass Convertible
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
The upper ball joints are the "load bearing" joints...the lowers are sort of "just along for the ride". Agree with Klutch about popping noises usually associated with a worn ball joint(s). Sway bar bushings typically squeak and your photos look good. I'd check the upper ball joints for play... remember, you want to jack the car by the SUBFRAME, not the lower control arm, to take the weight off the suspension. Do this for greasing the joint(s), too.
what is a good test for the upper ball joints? the car is already jacked up and supported by the sub-frame. I know the pictures may not show it well but it is.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:48 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricer333 View Post
what is a good test for the upper ball joints? the car is already jacked up and supported by the sub-frame. I know the pictures may not show it well but it is.
Raise the wheel about 4-6 inches off the ground and place a large pry bar under the tire. Pry up and observe movement at the joint. Horizontal movement must not exceed .25" as measured using a ball joint checking tool.
vegasloki likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:06 PM

Little late, but I used open end wrenches to determine the diameter of my sway bar. The correct size will fit snug with no rattle.

66 Mustang Convertible
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
Raise the wheel about 4-6 inches off the ground and place a large pry bar under the tire. Pry up and observe movement at the joint. Horizontal movement must not exceed .25" as measured using a ball joint checking tool.
Been awhile since I've seen that spec.
1/16 caused us to consider a conversation with the customer. 1/8 was too much no matter what (in our world)....
it was universal automatic replacement time. 1/4" would have been considered component failure. That's a big number.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
Been awhile since I've seen that spec.
1/16 caused us to consider a conversation with the customer. 1/8 was too much no matter what (in our world)....
it was universal automatic replacement time. 1/4" would have been considered component failure. That's a big number.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
So I just looked back at my records, when the mechanic did the shelby 1" drop he replaced the upper ball joints as well as replacing the lower control arms that have the lower ball joints part of that assembly.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
I think he's refering to the shock absorber upper mounting bracket. The shock bolts to it and then it bolts to the shock tower.

Per the 67 shop manual the shock absorber to the bracket should be 10-15ft-lbs and the bracket to body should be 8-16ft-lbs.

Here's a picture from the shop manual of removing the bracket and shock to show what it looks like:
Attachment 715844
I have a Newton Meter torque wrench. I set it to 14.7 NM which by the conversion is 10.84 ft-lbs. Three of the four strut to bracket bolts seem to tighten up but one on the driver's side just spins (the back one towards the firewall). As for the bolts that hold the bracket to the shock tower, two of those on the same driver's side won't tighten up.

The car is up on jack stands with the tires off the ground. Should this be done when the suspension is under load?

If not, sounds like I need to look into replacing (at a minimum) the driver's side strut bracket and bolts

1965 Fastback Mustang
Rangoon Red

Last edited by ricer333; 07-21-2019 at 08:59 AM.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:08 AM

Usually bad ball joints show themselves when you hit potholes, you get a clunk. Looks like you need sway bar mounts, Also, if you set the right socket on the ledge under the upper control arm and lift the car just enough to unload the spring but just before tire lifts of the ground you can wiggle the tire and feel the ball joint. They all look new to me, I would focus on the sway bar mounts.

You can try loading the suspension to see if it seats the bolts that spin but its likely they need replacement. Sometimes you can wedge a screwdriver under the bold and pry upwards to hold the bolt while you tighten the nut.

Good luck,

M

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page