Where to run radio wires? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Where to run radio wires?

So I spent the afternoon fishing wires, measuring length, and planning the layout of my stereo system. I got a package deal from Retrsound with head unit, dual voice coil premium dash speaker, kick panels with premium speakers, and Quadraphonic 4 channel amp. The Amp is going in the trunk A few questions:

1) I read that running your speaker wire and a power source is OK, I also read it will cause interference. I already ran the speaker wire from the trunk along the PS rocker well along with an 18 G wire that goes to a switched source and taped them all together. Will I have an issue? I can pull the power wire out and re-run it but I've already wrapped the wires with loom tape.

2) I also have to run a power feed from the amp directly to the battery. This wire (supplied from Retrosound) has a built in 15 amp fuse. Should I drill a hole in the firewall and run this, or since I have a new wiring loom with modern fuse box, I can tap into a spare constant power wire that has a 15 AMP fuse? Retrosound says to have the fuse within 18" from the battery. Running it directly to the battery isn't an issue, just where do I run it? The PS rocker well has speaker wire in it and I don't have enough cable to go down the DS rocker well. What about running both power lines down the center of the car, under the carpet and the console?

3) The kick panel for the PS side wont fit next to the fresh air vent. Has anyone put a kick panel with speakers that fit in a 66? If so where did you get it?

66 Convertible, GT clone. 289 4V, C4. Springtime yellow with black top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:34 PM

Garage
I ran my power wire to the battery thru an existing hole in the firewall way back when. Don't remember which hole it was, but I pushed it thru something that was already there. Shouldn't need to drill another hole.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:29 PM

The spike on the back of the ignition switch is an accessory switched direct connection to the battery, and was used by Ford for radios, AC, tape players, etc.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:18 PM

Garage
Radio wiring

[QUOTE=ophthos;10199048]So I spent the afternoon fishing wires, measuring length, and planning the layout of my stereo system. I got a package deal from Retrsound with head unit, dual voice coil premium dash speaker, kick panels with premium speakers, and Quadraphonic 4 channel amp. The Amp is going in the trunk A few questions:

1) I read that running your speaker wire and a power source is OK, I also read it will cause interference. I already ran the speaker wire from the trunk along the PS rocker well along with an 18 G wire that goes to a switched source and taped them all together. Will I have an issue? I can pull the power wire out and re-run it but I've already wrapped the wires with loom tape.

I ran the speaker wires down the passenger side and the power to the amp in the trunk down the driver's side.

2) I also have to run a power feed from the amp directly to the battery. This wire (supplied from Retrosound) has a built in 15 amp fuse. Should I drill a hole in the firewall and run this, or since I have a new wiring loom with modern fuse box, I can tap into a spare constant power wire that has a 15 AMP fuse? Retrosound says to have the fuse within 18" from the battery. Running it directly to the battery isn't an issue, just where do I run it? The PS rocker well has speaker wire in it and I don't have enough cable to go down the DS rocker well. What about running both power lines down the center of the car, under the carpet and the console?

I drilled a hole in the firewall toward the center and up from the steering column. Don't forget to place the grommet in the hole prior to running the wire to protect the wire from fraying. Then I ran the power wire to the battery along with the other wires on the passenger side under the export brace.

I wouldn't run the wires down the middle of the car. If you need to access them, much harder. (ask me how I know!)

Allen
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
The spike on the back of the ignition switch is an accessory switched direct connection to the battery, and was used by Ford for radios, AC, tape players, etc.
I hooked up my electric choke to that. I was thinking about using it for the radio but my new underdash wiring harness has fused switched and non switched spares that I'm going to use. Easier access plus its fused.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVett View Post
I drilled a hole in the firewall toward the center and up from the steering column. Don't forget to place the grommet in the hole prior to running the wire to protect the wire from fraying. Then I ran the power wire to the battery along with the other wires on the passenger side under the export brace.

I wouldn't run the wires down the middle of the car. If you need to access them, much harder. (ask me how I know!)

Allen
So I ran the non switched wire today and it isn't long enough to reach the battery from the trunk. It will reach my fuse panel. So I'm gonna tap into a fused non switched power wire there.

Anyone know why Retrosound would want a fuse within 18" of the battery? Whats wrong with using a fused power source from my circuit panel?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:56 AM

Garage
Radio wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophthos View Post
So I ran the non switched wire today and it isn't long enough to reach the battery from the trunk. It will reach my fuse panel. So I'm gonna tap into a fused non switched power wire there.

Anyone know why Retrosound would want a fuse within 18" of the battery? Whats wrong with using a fused power source from my circuit panel?
https://www.lifewire.com/do-i-need-a...mp-fuse-534588
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Well that makes sense. I guess I'll have to solder in and extension to get it to the battery.

Thanks for the info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page