Pricing Guidance - 1965 GT A-Code Coupe - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:48 AM

To expound, even further, disc brakes was a stand alone option on all V8 Mustangs in '65 & '66, not just GT equipped.

'66 Sprint 200 deluxe interior hardtop ( not a coupe ), owned since '84 as first car
'66 factory GT A code 4 speed ( now T5 ) fastback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

All, thank you so much for your replies. Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Where are most people posting their Mustangs for sale nowadays, Craiglist, Ebay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
If you are going to sell the car as a GT, assuming it is...be sure to take pictures of all items that document it as a legitimate GT and/or provide paperwork proving itís prominence.
Patrick, thank you. I actually started taking photos of some of the items that factory GT's came with to help either refute or confirm it is a GT. For example, the GT exhaust hanger is one of these items I have taken pictures of. See the attached photo as an example. I have checked other items, such as the frame rail reinforcement in the trunk, which it has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang656man View Post
I would treat the floor pans with ospho after scraping the loose rust and let dry and then paint with rustoleum and make it look a lot better with min effort. Then advertise on ebay with min price of 15k and see where it goes. Wes
Mustang656man, I agree with you 100%. I actually coated the floor with rust inhibitor immediately after taking those photos. I wanted to show the floors as I found them in order to represent the car as honestly as possible. They look so much better with the coat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang GT Exhaust Hanger Interior 2.jpg (512.5 KB, 3 views)
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:51 AM

Just look at the metal dash for the dip where the 140 speedo rests. Since it’s not a deluxe interior car, if there’s a dip in the dash, it must be a GT. (In ‘65)

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
You didnt mention the cowl, thats a high dollar repair if needed.

When looking for the value of a specific model such as your A-code GT with a 4 speed, much of the value over or under a typical car of the same year and condition will be how much of it is original and what factory options are on the car.

Is the engine and all associated parts original to the car, including the transmission?

What options are on the car? Are the disc brakes factory or aftermarket?

One thing for sure on a vintage Mustang in any condition, if the price is right it sells overnight.
I took the a photo of the brakes and they appear to be the stock Kelsey Hayes and the transmission is a 4 speed, top loader, coded as a 16:1, shaft 41 7.8, and model year 65/66. The engine build assembly date code is "6F17L" which I think means June 17, 1966.

As for the cowl, I did a water test this afternoon and the interior stayed dry, I put down towels and had no water. That made my day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driver side brake.jpg (346.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Top Loader Model and serial.jpg (401.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by monk302; 08-04-2019 at 04:04 PM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
Just look at the metal dash for the dip where the 140 speedo rests. Since itís not a deluxe interior car, if thereís a dip in the dash, it must be a GT. (In Ď65)

Took a picture, it had the dip as you mentioned. Glad I found that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GT Dash Round Cut.jpg (59.6 KB, 4 views)
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:18 AM

Why sell it? Is it hurting you to keep it? My car sat for 20 years before I fired it back up again and now I drive it sometimes and love it. Your time might free up soon and maybe you can make the car a family thing. Just some things to think about if you haven't already.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Also his area needs to be looked at. Selling in the NY,NJ,CT Area commands a premium. Being a real GT-A Code 4speed.. I think that he is looking at 17K-20K all day long in his area in its current condition. 25K would be a stretch, but is possible with the right buyer.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treozen View Post

3 - Brakes - You mention disk brakes, but that master cylinder does not look like a disk / drum master. It looks like the stock single reservoir drum/drum unit with a single line out. This is where my lack of mustang knowledge will be an issue, because for all I know, Mustangs with disks in '65 used the same master as the Drum/Drum system, but I've never seen that on any car, ever. If its supposed to be that way, ok. BUT, if its not, and indeed that is the stock single reservoir unit for drum / drum brakes, then 2 things are a problem 1) The disks are not stock, they are aftermarket, so the question becomes - which kit, who did the work, do you have receipts...and 2) They are not installed correctly - might even be dangerous, frankly. If I were the buyer, and if that master truly is the drum/drum version, that would be an issue....- $1000
The master cylinder looks correct. 65-66 discs used a single reservoir master cylinder, but it was a larger than those used on drum/drum.

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:34 PM

Late to the party, 66coupe289
We already know it's a factory GT and pretty much all the right stuff is present.....

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:47 PM

Garage
Nice car. It does indeed look to be a factory GT, especially considering the dash. However, the floor pans definitely needs to be addressed so with current market values I'd guess anywhere from 14-15k. With the floors fixed, the price could be 18-20k.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65stang3 View Post
Why sell it? Is it hurting you to keep it? My car sat for 20 years before I fired it back up again and now I drive it sometimes and love it. Your time might free up soon and maybe you can make the car a family thing. Just some things to think about if you haven't already.
A combination of reasons, but mostly due to only having one garage space and no time with my children now. While I love driving it, itís so infrequent now that I would like to pass the car onto to someone who will enjoy it more than me.

If anyone on the forum is interested, please let me know. I would like to keep track of it and see what the next owner does to it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page