My car didn't come with seats - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

My car didn't come with seats

The 66 convertible project I bought didn't come with any seats. I've managed to track down the rear seat, but a pair of reasonably priced front seats is hard to find. I mean, if the asking price for a pair that needs new foam and covers is $750, I might as well spend the money for brand new frames and tracks, right? Anyway, my question is: I assume 64 and 65 will work for a 66, but what about later years? The 67 looks like it might take 66 covers. I just figure if I can look at a wider range of years, I might be able to find a better deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:07 PM

Garage
A convertible would be awesome with a bench seat!(As I think any 66 looks cool with-read, wish I had one!) Not sure about year interchange, sorry, but I'm sure they can be made to fit without too much trouble. Good luck!
Mike the old grump likes this.

It's just a little rust...

1966 secretary special originally 6cyl 3 spd coupe.(Goes to work twice a week)
5.0 SEFI complete from 1988 Mustang GT, world class T-5, 9 inch with 3.50 Trac Lok and Shelby style traction bars. Old Air A/C system.
Build thread:https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...5-0-resto.html

1969 Mach 1: 1000 miles (almost) to get it....in progress(slow)
https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...long-term.html
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 665spd View Post
A convertible would be awesome with a bench seat!(As I think any 66 looks cool with-read, wish I had one!) Not sure about year interchange, sorry, but I'm sure they can be made to fit without too much trouble. Good luck!

Growing up, a friends father had a 66 GT vert with a bench seat and AC. Always have wondered what happened to that car. It was a neat combination of options.

(thinking about it a little more, I think I know where it is, or was for a time)
665spd likes this.

'68 Chevy plastic car
'69 Mustang ( The coupes are the fastest!)
'28 Roadster in boxes.

Last edited by Mike the old grump; 07-14-2019 at 11:29 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadacates View Post
The 66 convertible project I bought didn't come with any seats. I've managed to track down the rear seat, but a pair of reasonably priced front seats is hard to find. I mean, if the asking price for a pair that needs new foam and covers is $750, I might as well spend the money for brand new frames and tracks, right? Anyway, my question is: I assume 64 and 65 will work for a 66, but what about later years? The 67 looks like it might take 66 covers. I just figure if I can look at a wider range of years, I might be able to find a better deal.

Don't know what your plans are for the car but I believe some of the Fox body seats will work. If I recall correctly it's just swapping the rails around. I'm sure someone can fill in the details.

Pretty sure there are covers that make them look more appropriate and you would have a better seat.

'68 Chevy plastic car
'69 Mustang ( The coupes are the fastest!)
'28 Roadster in boxes.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:32 AM

Check ebay for half of a used seat. You can normally get them significantly cheaper than the full seat. They're still costly, but not $750 costly. More like $50 per half (so $200 for both front seats). Since these used seats are likely shot, you're still looking at new foam for the fronts. The rear seat you tracked down probably needs new foam (or batting, if you're going original) too. And then you still might want to cover them with new vinyl so they match. There are also a few Mustang graveyard places that you can buy from. My experience with those are better than ebay since you're dealing with someone who has a lot more inventory and will cut you a deal because you need multiple pieces. Plus someone who's spending their time taking apart old Mustangs is probably at least a little happy that the part is going into a car that will be on the road. Good luck, and congratulations on the project.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:55 AM

Maybe take a look at a NPD catalog. Or check their website. See what they have to offer
They have everything for Mustangs.

Just a thought. If nothing else, it might give you some ideas.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:06 AM

Craigslist is your friend...you can normally find a pair of front seats for about $200..the trick is that they may not be in your area. Searchtempest.com(or is it search-tempest? I forget) is a nationwide craigslist search based on distance from your zip.

Also....65-67 seats are identical except for seat covers..and 68 seats differ in the fact they have a locking seat back...which probably limits covers(or may require modification for earlier covers to fit)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:45 AM

Here are a few options for you - I am not sure where you are located, but these are in Washington /Oregon and may be willing to ship if asked:

This guy claims to have 70-odd mustang seats, prices look far more reasonable than $750 - does not say if he will ship

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...933448450.html

These look like really nice seats out of a '66, but the add says must pick up.....still, offer enough to ship and who knows:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/p...931072652.html

Out of Portland, good looking seats and tracks...price is nice at $200 - you could double that to ship and still be better off:
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...931240578.html

Also out of Portland, but a later year (69)
https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/...931511077.html

Seat frames and foams - looks about the right year, but pictures are not ideal
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...929829370.html

None of these specifically say they will ship, but only one said specifically to pick up, and if you throw some extra $$$, who knows
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:42 AM

$750 for a pair of "plain jane" '65-'67 seats is hiway robbery. All '65-'70 seats will bolt right in to your pedestals- maybe even '71-'73 seats. If you're not interested in concours seats you have lots of bolt-in options.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:34 AM

I sold 3 sets of 1965 - 1967 bucket seats this weekend ranging from $160 to $210 a pair plus $70 for shipping. $750 should be rebuilt with new foam and deluxe covers, and even that is high.

Contact me if you need a pair of fronts.

[email protected] ed ay +3112

Richardson TX

1968 GT500 Arrest Me Red (The Big Boy Toy)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:36 AM

Garage
I've got several sets here in Eastern Iowa..... where are you located?

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

I'm in St. Pete, FL. It sounds like 64-67 frames would allow me to use 66 upholstery. This will be a driver, so I don't need everything to be correct, I just want it to look original. Functional tracks and good foam would be a bonus. The bench seat is an intriguing idea. Will it bolt directly into the existing seat risers? I really don't want to "make" things fit, I already have to learn to upholster and my melon only holds so much knowledge. Every time I learn something new, I have to forget something to make room for it, which is why I thought buying a mostly disassembled car was a good idea.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

I pulled the trigger on a pair of 66 pony buckets with tracks and usable foam. $320 for folks that are curious. The beauty is I can use these seats until I'm ready to recover them. Thanks for the input.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:14 AM

I hope you realize that convrt rear seats are not the same as coupe. Wes
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:48 AM

Sorry about the hijack but I'm doing a 70 fastback and looking for the rear seat !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page