Trying to dissasemble my seat rails for restoration - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tallguy

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Trying to dissasemble my seat rails for restoration

I am trying to disassemble my seat rails to restore them but seem to be unable to seperate the sliders from the tracks. Google says you bend the tabs at the end of the tracks down...but that does nothing since they dont even reach the tabs before stopping. I thought maybe it was just one bent up rail...but all of them stop before reaching the tabs...am I missing something here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 08:34 AM

Probably just need to release the latch, pretty simple mechanism not much to go wrong.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 09:14 AM

Not sure bending the tabs on a hardened steel track is a good idea. If you carefully work the nylon guides out, the track will come apart without bending.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Les View Post
Probably just need to release the latch, pretty simple mechanism not much to go wrong.
Any pictures? Not the seat position latch obviously? since the rails are off the seat with all springs disconnected, I dont see anything else that could be considered a latch. I cant work out the nylon spacers with the sliders in the tracks...they have a tab holding them in from what I understand
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 10:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Don't take them apart!....If you bend that tab, There's a 90% chance of it will just breaking off....and then it's garbage. I used to restore these for years...finally, I stopped trying to bend the tabs and just injected new grease into them from the ends after I painted them... You can re-bend the tab maybe once or twice, and it might work, but most times about 90%... they just break off, Once that happens, The part is junk.

Today when I work on old Seat Rails, I just make sure that everything is sound like the mounting bolts...and replace any Seat Rack Bolts that need replacement. Then, I clean/strip them off as best I can, Re-prime, then re-paint....then before I install the seat tracks, I impregnate them at the ends with some brown bearing grease. Done. That's about all you can do.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; Today at 10:56 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 11:49 AM

Just like 22GT said, you can get them apart and back together without bending the tab. It is a bit of a puzzle to put it back together if you don't pay close attention. I have not touched mine in 2 years so I can't remember the exact process. Mine needed to come part to de-rustify, paint and modify for seat track extrensions
awhtx likes this.

66 Convertible. Full restoration in the works
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 11:54 AM

I rebuilt mine about 5 years ago and like Tallguy I don't remember how I got them apart and back together but I did.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Don't take them apart!....If you bend that tab, There's a 90% chance of it will just breaking off....and then it's garbage. I used to restore these for years...finally, I stopped trying to bend the tabs and just injected new grease into them from the ends after I painted them... You can re-bend the tab maybe once or twice, and it might work, but most times about 90%... they just break off, Once that happens, The part is junk.

Today when I work on old Seat Rails, I just make sure that everything is sound like the mounting bolts...and replace any Seat Rack Bolts that need replacement. Then, I clean/strip them off as best I can, Re-prime, then re-paint....then before I install the seat tracks, I impregnate them at the ends with some brown bearing grease. Done. That's about all you can do.

)

Tony K.
Doesn't matter...the part is metal and I have a welder(several welders, MIG, TIG, and Arc)...a tack weld works just as well in place of the tab(or I can weld a new tab on, whatever). In any case, its not the tabs holding them and never was...what else am I missing? They have to come apart to get rid of the rust and be painted...these seats have probably been sitting in barn for 30 years...who knows...a lot of surface rust on these rails.

Last edited by wicked93gs; Today at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page