Cost for TMI upholstery install - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

I have a medical issue that would prevent me from doing the physical work required for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
"Doing it myself is not an option."

Why not?!?

)
Tony K.

My first Mustang, 1965 hardtop, 200ci C4

My second Mustang, 1966 hardtop, 200ci 3spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Ok... Well that makes sense!

There should be plenty of good Trim shops in Kansas.... Maybe someone else from Kansas can help out and post a few Kansas Trim Shops that provide good services.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:35 PM

In Oct. of 2014 a local upholstery shop charged $1468 to disassemble the bucket seats and rear folding seat, install the TMI kit and install the new door panels. I believe that he also installed the new ACC carpet set. I had visions of doing it myself until I watched a video on CJPP's website. Some things are better left to the professionals. Dave R.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:09 PM

I took my 69 Mach 1 seats, new buns and new covers to a small local shop "on the wrong side of the tracks" so to speak. They did a great job! I think I paid $150 or $175 for each of the front seats. I also took them a can of black spray paint and had them paint the seat frames before re-upholstering them.

One thing I've noticed, both with the Mach 1 seats as well as my Pantera seats (same shop and also TMI upholstery) was that the new seat buns are much taller than the originals. I found that in both cars I sit about 1-2" higher than I used to in the old seats. Maybe it's just because the old foam seat buns were broken down, but I used to sit "IN" the seat and the side bolsters were higher than the center section and provided a modicum of side support. Now I sit "ON" the seats and the side bolsters are no higher than the center section. If I were to do it over (and I might once everything else is done on the car) I'd shave at least half-inch to an inch of foam out of the center seat bun for the base of the seat.
vegasloki likes this.

69 Cutlass Convertible
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth66 View Post
One thing I've noticed, both with the Mach 1 seats as well as my Pantera seats (same shop and also TMI upholstery) was that the new seat buns are much taller than the originals. I found that in both cars I sit about 1-2" higher than I used to in the old seats. Maybe it's just because the old foam seat buns were broken down, but I used to sit "IN" the seat and the side bolsters were higher than the center section and provided a modicum of side support. Now I sit "ON" the seats and the side bolsters are no higher than the center section.
Same with me on the seats I did a couple months back. I used the economy package at NPD. My head nearly touches the roof. I kept the old foam to compare and while it's difficult to tell if the repros were taller than stock when it was new there was definitely 3-4" at least difference. I didn't think about shaving the foam but I wasn't expecting there to be that much of a difference. Sure feels a lot better now though. The bolsters are a bit taller than the seat but it took some wrangling with the inner wire assembly to get the cover tight enough.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:51 AM
Supporting Vendor

I cannot state this strongly enough... Even if you already have seat foam from a different vendor... Invest in American Cushion Industries (ACI) foam for your installation..

The economy stuff is cheaper, yes... And that's about all I can say for it.

Rick
NPD

P.S. to the O.P., you might want to call our MI Depot 1-800-521-6104 and ask for Jeff Fein, our manager. He is an auto trim professional (nights and weekends he does top-quality installs for many of our customers local to the Detroit area), and he can provide you with a good range of prices to expect (for a job well-done), and tips on questions to ask prospective installers to ensure they're doing a proper job with all the right materials..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page