No crank - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kenash

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

No crank

I just picked up a 66 mustang convertible 289 that hasn't run in an unknown amount of time. The engine turns over manually, but all I hear is a grinding when I try to start it. It sounds like the starter hitting the flywheel. So I took it down and replaced the starter, same issue. I did make sure it was a 2 hole (automatic) starter. Just a grinding noise when I try to start it. The flywheel moves freely when I turn the fan. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Mourning View Post
I just picked up a 66 mustang convertible 289 that hasn't run in an unknown amount of time. The engine turns over manually, but all I hear is a grinding when I try to start it. It sounds like the starter hitting the flywheel. So I took it down and replaced the starter, same issue. I did make sure it was a 2 hole (automatic) starter. Just a grinding noise when I try to start it. The flywheel moves freely when I turn the fan. Any ideas?
Ok, completely charge your battery and have it load tested, if it's suspect. Most all Auto stores will do this for free. A battery can show a 12V charge, however, it may not be making the rated AMPs. A load test will determine this. The AMPs is what get's the starter doing what it's designed to do.

Is it grinding or clicking, you are hearing? If grinding and you have a known good battery, pull the starter motor and check the Bendix drive. If it's clicking, I would suspect the battery. I

Another test, if you don't have a "Remote Starter Switch, use a 12 gauge jumper between the battery "+" and the "S" on the solenoid. This will energize turn over a know good engine very easily. These remote switches are a good tool for any automotive tool box. Good Luck and keep us posted.
2nd 66 likes this.

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:10 PM

Could simply be that the flywheel/flexplate is missing a couple teeth. You did mention you got the 'automatic' starter which, hopefully, will work with your transmission. Your spacer plate could also be 'off'?

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

I took the battery that I was using to get tested and it was a bad battery, although it works fine in my 75 Corvette. I'll have to get a new battery and try it again.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Mourning View Post
All 289 starters are "2 hole". What transmission is in the car? Auto or stick?

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

So it did turn out to simply be the battery. I was quite surprised considering the battery would turn over my other car, but it does crank now. It did not start up as I assumed it would not. It ended up not having spark, i checked the coil which tested ok. I then replaced the condenser in the distributor and got a new points set for a whopping $15 total, I now have spark. I want to empty out the tank before try to fire it up again, when i turn it over all the nasty old fuel comes out of the fuel filter (I disconnected the fuel line after the filter to not allow old gas in the carb). The tank drain plug is rusted out but im just going to crank the engine and bleed out all the old fuel threw the line. Ill keep you all updated with my progress. Its hard to find time with a 9 month old at home to spend any real time working on it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:14 PM

Garage
To save your battery power, disconnect the fuel line at the incoming side of the pump and let gravity drain the tank. You might crack open the fuel filler, so as, to equalize the pressure.

How fuel do you think is in the tank?

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

It doesn't sound like much is in there. I'll take a look at how to disconnect it instead of cranking the engine. I would like to get a new fuel tank but the trunk is pretty rusted out and I'm scared I won't be able to get a new one in without completely replacing the pan
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

So I got it to fire up!! God only how long it's been since it last ran last. I got it to run on starter fluid, not gas. I emptied out most of the fuel tank but I'm not going to put new fuel in it quite yet before I can get a better idea of the condition. I disconnected the intake side of the fuel pump and hooked up a fuel hose to a gas can. I don't think it's sucking any fuel up threw it though. When I first started cranking it, all of the old fuel was spilling out past the fuel filter so I think the pump works. Any tricks to get it to suck up fuel from the gas can?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Here are a few pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40DEFEE2-E67A-4C4A-BE07-1C02205023CD_1564002722246.jpg (396.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 067B8E35-C789-4AA5-82CE-FC5EAF722DB9_1564002740411.jpg (425.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg C12E10CB-2B4C-4178-9BA7-3AAC2D212EDB_1564002754639.jpg (435.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 0ACFD6FE-897A-4AE3-A8AC-27C105563052_1564002769989.jpg (350.0 KB, 3 views)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Got it to run off of an auxiliary tank, and it actually runs very well minus a leaky carb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page