Pretty neat find in the '66 tonight - Vintage Mustang Forums
 26Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Pretty neat find in the '66 tonight

So I'm snooping around the engine compartment this evening........why......just 'cause I suppose and I spotted something that I hadn't noticed before.

Just for reference - I've had this car for 17 years, have pulled and installed the motor no less than 3 times, change my own oil...etc. So I've spent quite a bit of time in there previously.

Anyhow - I was tracing some wires ended up really focusing under the battery tray (vicinity)......and saw a little magnetic box. Never saw it before...ever. Says Key Holder on the front of it. Inside of it of was a spare ignition key and trunk key wrapped in electrical tape (to keep them from rattling I guess). I know I never ever put that there. Guess it was something the PO had put there way back when. Wonder how long its been there?? Pretty neat surprise. Wonder what else is hiding out in the car.

Wish I would've found it a few years ago when I lost my keys (only had one set) and had to call a locksmith to make me some new ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0768.jpg (570.8 KB, 32 views)

----------------------------------------------------------------
John in SC
Formerly Studiopet_2005
1966 Coupe - 302 with some stuff on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
A good place for it...Under the Battery Tray... Not many would look there...

Nice find.. Do you still have those original locks in your car or did you change them out?!?? Just curious...

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post

Nice find.. Do you still have those original locks in your car or did you change them out?!?? Just curious...

)

Tony K.
I've never changed them from when I got the car. Had the locksmith guy craft me up a new set of keys so I'm unsure if they are original or not. I do know not much is original on it anymore.

John in SC
Formerly Studiopet_2005

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:19 PM

Did the locksmith just make new keys for the ignition/door, or did he change out the pins and springs and make new keys from the new configuration? If he just made the keys without changing anything else, those keys you found just might work.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Locksmith only made new keys. Didn’t change anything. They should work. Was going to try them out but decided to wait til tommorow. Feeling kinda lazy - travelled for work today
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
I guess you'll find out when you try the keys! Don't forget to report back whether they worked or not!

Thanks for the great story!

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:50 AM

The old hide a key box, I remember seems everyone had those things back in the day. Inner fender was a good spot and on pickups they were usually on top inside of the lower lip on the rear step bumper. Things have changed...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:05 AM

Garage
Being in the car business most my life, I've seen keys hidden all over. Boxes like yours used to be really common along frame rails, inner fenders, gas doors, etc. I've also seen spare keys zip-tied all over things like to wire harnesses, front suspension parts, and tow hitches. The ones that crack me up are when they're hidden under the hood area..... and you can't open the hood without unlocking the doors first! lol
Cool find- did you leave it there?
68Hildago likes this.

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Cool - key's work Definitely will "re-hide" them. Fun story!

John in SC
Formerly Studiopet_2005
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:59 AM

I've owned my Mustang so long when I started the restoration, I found stuff that I HAD PUT THERE and forgotten about...ha ha. No keys but I found a few repairs, emergency wrenches and extra points and condenser in a tool pouch suspended in rear wheel well, and I was impressed at the wiring job for the stereo speakers. I must have done some serious disassembly to have routed those wires to the back. Even once I found the stuff, I had to shake the cobwebs to remember having done it.
Trikk likes this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:34 AM

That is a cool find. I found a dime from 1966 under my carpet underlayment in my 66. I like to assume it was dropped there by an original assembly line worker at Ford.
Trikk likes this.

66 Convertible. Full restoration in the works
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguy View Post
That is a cool find. I found a dime from 1966 under my carpet underlayment in my 66. I like to assume it was dropped there by an original assembly line worker at Ford.
Kind of along this line: I like to leave notes as I'm reassembling things to future restorers. Something like a little detail on what/how a certain part was refurbished/replaced - dated and initialed. May be interesting for my son or a future owner to come across in another 30-40 years.

1966 Sprint 200
Mostly stockish
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:12 PM

I fund a penny in the drivers rocker extension. Actually the cutoff blade found it... It was an 80s coin so nothing special.

Then I found this big chunk of seam sealer in the rocker panel. Typical stuff done at the factory to cause clunks and noises. I have found containers in confined spots with notes in them like if you found this your'e good. The chisel is my spot weld cutter. The handle broke so that's a chunk of 6cyl front stab bar welded to it...

[IMG][/IMG]
John_in_SC likes this.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKoppa View Post
I like to leave notes as I'm reassembling things to future restorers. Something like a little detail on what/how a certain part was refurbished/replaced - dated and initialed.
Kind of like the prankster who left this message for whenever the next owner of the house replaces the carpet.

Seriously though, I never thought of doing that on my cars. I have done it on my houses... Written messages on bathroom walls behind the mirror detailing any wiring or plumbing changes that were made during a remodel.

69 Cutlass Convertible
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth66 View Post
Kind of like the prankster who left this message for whenever the next owner of the house replaces the carpet.

Seriously though, I never thought of doing that on my cars. I have done it on my houses... Written messages on bathroom walls behind the mirror detailing any wiring or plumbing changes that were made during a remodel.

I like that one. I write a few notes up above ceiling level or in and behind the elec panels in commercial jobs. Usually at least a name and a date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page