So I picked up a pair of v8 spindles... - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

So I picked up a pair of v8 spindles...

Well, I went and got a few parts last night from a gentleman near me parting out a 67 v8 coupe(the rust wasn't bad...but the PO repairs to repair previous rust on the thing were pretty awful so he decided to part it). I have a 66 T-code coupe so there are a limited amount of things I could use...I got the 8" rear end since I plan on using 05 v6 wheels anyway(and the 8" is a better choice for my application than the 8.8" or 9"), along with the rear seat, some wheel adapters and...a set of 67 v8 spindles. I have heard that these can be used on a 66 if you change the tie rods...I have also heard the geometry is incorrect regardless of the tie rods. I was wondering if anyone could clarify this. I am hoping to use these parts to convert to 5 lug and 4 wheel disc...but if the front spindles wont work, I suppose I can add them to my trade bin and continue the search for some 65-66 spindles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:41 AM
Supporting Member

Call this guy. He knows his stuff and can lead you in the right direction. Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
Well, I went and got a few parts last night from a gentleman near me parting out a 67 v8 coupe(the rust wasn't bad...but the PO repairs to repair previous rust on the thing were pretty awful so he decided to part it). I have a 66 T-code coupe so there are a limited amount of things I could use...I got the 8" rear end since I plan on using 05 v6 wheels anyway(and the 8" is a better choice for my application than the 8.8" or 9"), along with the rear seat, some wheel adapters and...a set of 67 v8 spindles. I have heard that these can be used on a 66 if you change the tie rods...I have also heard the geometry is incorrect regardless of the tie rods. I was wondering if anyone could clarify this. I am hoping to use these parts to convert to 5 lug and 4 wheel disc...but if the front spindles wont work, I suppose I can add them to my trade bin and continue the search for some 65-66 spindles.
The only factory spindles that are "right" are the 65/66 pieces. (unless you find
a set of the replaced by C9ZZ-C spindles..... the passenger side of which being
the rarer of the two and the pair themselves are pretty much unobtainium)

Pretty much anything will need to be bump-steer adjusted because even a stock
65/66 is bumpsteer-challenged...... if you do more than merely driving on the
street.

Not looking at my notes, but I want to say the '67 spindles have a issue with the
height or length of the steering arms.

I think the '67 axle length is wider than the 65/66. (It's 67/68 and 69/70 that have
the same axle housing length)

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

Last edited by GT289; 07-18-2019 at 10:51 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:54 AM

^^^ Yes, rear axle housing width is wider for 67/68 vs 65/66, been there, done that. I am not sure if the back spacing on 05 v6 wheels will help or hurt the wider rear end.

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

yes...the 67 axle is presumably 2 inches wider than the 66...which is fine...instead of using 1.5" adapter to fit the 05 wheels I should be able to just use a 1/2" spacer instead(I got 2 1" adapters with the rear end...will test fit it with those, and if need be I can mill them down to 1/2" and use them as a spacer instead)
Huntingky likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:02 PM

Yes. the geometry of the '67 and later spindles is different than the '65/'66 geometry. The spindles will fit but Bump Steer can become an issue. The '67 spindles are set up to mount the 4 piston, fixed, KH caliper. The '68 and later spindles are set up to mount a single piston, floating caliper. The '70 spindles have a larger diameter pin that the bearings mount on. The C9ZZ spindles that GT289 referenced are replacement '65/'66 spindles with the larger diameter pin.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:11 PM

Dobrostang hit on the important topics. Even stock 66 spindles are going to have bumpsteer issues. It starts to show up as you lower the suspension along with other modifications. My 66 has a full Street or Track suspension along with a camber kit and lowered not to mention 72 spindles. Yes the geometry is different from 67 and up. The 67 and later spindles have the same geometry as the Granada spindles as well. The 67 and later spindles differ in this way. The dog leg or horizontal offset is 1/2" less. The arms are about 7/16" shorter and are angled in 3/8" more. Basically what all this does is to shorten the tie rod assembly and wants to swing in a tighter arc then the lower control arm which causes the bumpsteer. It's not the end of the world. Adding caster and playing with toe settings will help a lot. You can also add a bumpsteer kit. I have my 66 driving with hardly any noticable bumpsteer if at all.

The big culprits are a soft suspension along with a lot of suspension travel. A little stiffer spring and shock will help a lot as well.
2nd 66 likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Dobrostang hit on the important topics. Even stock 66 spindles are going to have bumpsteer issues. It starts to show up as you lower the suspension along with other modifications. My 66 has a full Street or Track suspension along with a camber kit and lowered not to mention 72 spindles. Yes the geometry is different from 67 and up. The 67 and later spindles have the same geometry as the Granada spindles as well. The 67 and later spindles differ in this way. The dog leg or horizontal offset is 1/2" less. The arms are about 7/16" shorter and are angled in 3/8" more. Basically what all this does is to shorten the tie rod assembly and wants to swing in a tighter arc then the lower control arm which causes the bumpsteer. It's not the end of the world. Adding caster and playing with toe settings will help a lot. You can also add a bumpsteer kit. I have my 66 driving with hardly any noticable bumpsteer if at all.

The big culprits are a soft suspension along with a lot of suspension travel. A little stiffer spring and shock will help a lot as well.
So essentially...since I am going to lower the car anyway...I will just have slightly more bumpsteer with the 67 spindles? Bumpsteer I would have to correct anyway when lowering? If that is the case I may as well use them and just deal with the issue when it rears its ugly head. If I choose to do this...what tie rods will I need? I do have a local contact with a set of 65 spindles, so if I cant get them off of him at a decent price, I may just use these.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:14 PM

CSRP offers a reproduction of the C9ZZ spindle.
Huskinhano likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by degins View Post
CSRP offers a reproduction of the C9ZZ spindle.
Any plans to offer a drop spindle for lowered applications?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
We offer a 1.4" drop version of this spindle as well.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:48 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Quote:
Damn I wish I hadn't seen this post. .... Oh well it's just money right. 😂🤣

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:54 PM

I had a set of 67 spindles on a 64 1/2 convertible for 20+ years. I did not know about it for the first 15+, until I had to change a tie rod.

I never had a bump steer issue, but then again, I seldom drove the car hard in tight corners over 105 miles per hour.

[email protected] ed ay +3112

Richardson TX

1968 GT500 Arrest Me Red (The Big Boy Toy)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:47 PM

Garage
I can't comment on 67 spindles per say .but I have 76 ish Granada spindles on my 66 no bump steer issues but I have + 4 ish caster and 620 coils with a half loop cut off and the UCA drop
. Does the OP have power or manual steering? I have manual when I did the Granada swap I used Granada outer tie rods and adjusting sleeves .I would assume doing the same with 67 spindles should work . I use wheel adapters with no issue but would avoid spacers
Huskinhano likes this.

Brad

Last edited by 2nd 66; 07-18-2019 at 07:50 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You do? That makes it much more appealing...I am sold on it. I will use the 67 spindles for now just so I can get wheels and brakes worked out...then when I get ready to do the real suspension modification I will buy a set to go with the arning drop, tubular UCAs and LCAs, and adjustable strut rods

I do have manual steering(plan to keep it that way too)...so all I really need then is(for the moment) is 76 Granada outer tie rods and adjusting sleeves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page