Jump in Revs / engine question - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Jump in Revs / engine question

Hi guys,

So im working through a few things with my 69 and the drive train has been a little - interesting - to say the least. there are a few things i need to work on;

first being the fact that it smells a lot like fuel, more than I'd expect. I'm pretty sure there arent any major leaks anywhere. Is it possible that one or more cylinders aren't firing properly? also could it be a lack of compression? its a fairly powerful 351w with (what should be) 9.1:1 compression.

Next, when i put my foot a bit more on the gas (at around 20-30 mph) there is sometimes a sudden jump in revs until i release and then give it more gas. I think this could be the gear slipping (C4 auto transmission) but I have noticed quite a bit of wheel spin at times. Is there any easy fix for wheel spin? I intend on getting the gearbox looked at in a few weeks.

thanks! all suggestions / comments welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:54 PM

If it smells like fuel, triple check that you have no leaks.
If no leaks, then carb is probably running rich and needs some tuning. Or it’s flooding and needs a float level adjustment.

The jump in revs could be a slipping trans or something with the torque converter. Impossible for me to know for sure without driving it.

Loss of traction is tires. Or you just need to be easy on the throttle.

1970 Mustang coupe
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 03:06 PM

The jump in revs could be the trans dropping down into the lower gear, normal. Called "passing gear."
Check and make sure your fluid is up, clean reddish and doesn't smell burnt anyway.

Verbose Vocabularian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page