Thermostat - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes
  • 4 Post By New2me
  • 5 Post By GypsyR
  • 3 Post By Woodchuck

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Confused Thermostat

How do I determine what temperature thermostat would be best for my 69 Mach 1 351 w with A/C?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:16 PM

just get the most popular one. I have a 69 with a 351 and use what i think is a 180 degree mr gasket thermostat. I have a good radiator, good fan but it still runs a little hot so i'll get an oil cooler as well. Problem with the bigger fan is now there's no space for a shroud. The old V8s are notorious for a reason. No matter what you get at some point you'll find yourself chilling on the side of the road while shes cooling down but its all part of the fun! right?...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:45 PM

195 degree. Just make sure it's a good one like a super stant or if you prefer one of the high flow Robert Shaw ones. Even at that, I'd still drop it in a pan of water on the stove with a thermometer to make sure that it opens when it should.
Joe, DonP, Mustang4SF and 1 others like this.

Early 65
1998 5.0, fitech efi, holley in tank returnless pump
4R70W transmission with USShift quick 2 controller
3.00:1 8" open rear end

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:31 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
The engineers at Ford Motor Company claim we should be using 192-195 degree thermostats. And so does every single other person I've judged reasonably qualified to offer an opinion, so that's what I use.
My personal experience with thermostats from the parts stores has been bad enough that now I will make a special trip (if necessary) to the Ford dealership to get a Motorcraft branded one. Not that they are perfect but odds are very good that I won't have to be replacing it a couple of months later. Other folks don't seem to have issues using just whatever random ones but I'm not the only forum member to experience the opposite.
I see Mr.Gasket mentioned. Could be just me, but I have sworn I will never again buy anything with their name on it. I've had some very bad luck with their products over the years and I really hate doing repair jobs over again.
66conv6, Joe, Klutch and 2 others like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:48 PM

I tried the MrGasket thermostat.
Failed, stuck closed after 10 days of use.

Most will say to use a 195 thermostat. I prefer the 180.
160 would be too low.

1970 Mustang coupe
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:59 PM

I recently switched from a 195 degree to a 180 degree. Seems to be running much cooler than before. But if I'm stuck in traffic amd barely moving along, then my needle starts to creep up and that's when I start getting a little nervous. But for the most part she running right where I like it to with the 180.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibcnul8r View Post
I recently switched from a 195 degree to a 180 degree. Seems to be running much cooler than before. But if I'm stuck in traffic amd barely moving along, then my needle starts to creep up and that's when I start getting a little nervous. But for the most part she running right where I like it to with the 180.
How do you know it's running cooler? Do you have a quality temp gauge that has a graduated scale?

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 03:24 PM

Garage
Another vote for getting the "most popular" one. It's popular for a reason

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymetal69 View Post
How do I determine what temperature thermostat would be best for my 69 Mach 1 351 w with A/C?
Thanks!
Stant 45359 195* Superstat

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...32670&jsn=2361

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibcnul8r View Post

Well, it will run cooler during normal operating/driving conditions, since the thermostat opens at 180 instead of 195. But it will not help you with overheating in traffic. Above let's say 205+ both are fully open and temperature depends on your cooling system.

Keeping the temperature constantly (too) low is not a good thing for your engine. Engines are designed for a certain operation temperature, this is why they have a thermostat.

1966 Convertible (Plant: San Jose, CA)
289 2V, PS, AC
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Lots of people seem to get scared out of their wits that their motors are going to blow up if coolant temperature goes over 200*F. Well, unless somebody messed up the installation, it won't. A temperature of 200-212*F is "Normal Operating Temperature" for the SBF. Below that coolant temperature the oil will not get hot enough to properly lubricate and purge itself of contaminants. Even temps of 220-230*F for extended periods, like climbing a long, long grade are okay... it's when coolant temps exceed 240*F that you can start experiencing localized steam pockets as the coolant around the top of the cylinder and combustion chamber starts to boil... from there things start to go downhill so it's time to pull over to the side of the road and run the engine at fast idle until the temps start to go down. This is, of course, not the procedure if something is wrong, like a broken fan belt, bad water pump, coolant loss or issue other than an extended heavy load has caused the heating.
subpar63, DonP and vegasloki like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1965 View Post
Another vote for getting the "most popular" one. It's popular for a reason
The reason that particular part is popular is because people don't fully understand the concepts behind a pressurized automotive cooling system. An example would be the previous poster saying he had a 180* and thought it ran cool but had an issue when idling. The posts by @Woodchuck, @Mustang4SF and @GypsyR explain the engineering without using the math.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:25 PM

180 fail-safe. If it fails, it’ll fail open Figure out how to make a shroud work; they work very well.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:18 AM

To answer your question, there is a table in the Specs section at the end of one of the chapters (either the Engine or the Cooling chapters) of the original factory manual. That table will tell you exactly what thermostat Ford called for for your car with the engine you have.

But if you want to skip looking for the table, it's probably a Ford (Motorcraft) 192-195*F thermostat

I currently have a Motorcraft 192*F thermostat in my car that has been with me for many, many miles. I have had three Stant thermostats fail on me in a few years flat prior to swapping to the Motorcraft. So if you were looking for a brand recommendation, I'd put in a Motorcraft.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://mapandamustang.blogspot.com/
Over 50,000 miles of North American roads driven on road trips since 2014. More always in the works - stay tuned!

When I show up at a car show and my car is covered in mud, it's probably because I drove 2000 miles to get there
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:19 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Another way to go is to simply Google "the optimum operating temperature of a gasoline engine" and look at the first result. If you have a basic understanding of what a thermostat does then you don't have to be a mathematician to figure out you are probably not going to achieve that with an incorrect 180F thermostat. Personally, I LIKE optimum performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page