No cranking - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodchuck

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

No cranking

I'm confused. -66 289/302 won't crank. I mean not a click, nada. I have replaced the battery cables and the ground strap, and the starter. I had the battery checked just today, and it states good. If I bypass everything and just put the positive cable straight from the battery to the starter and the ground from the battery to the block, it sparks like it's drawing tons of power, but there's not an inkling of cranking. The engine turns by hand with a wrench on the crank. What am I missing?

Thanks,

TGV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:05 PM

Sounds like a bad starter.

1966 Mustang Ive had for 20 years. Mild built 289, 4-speed coupe. Runs strong but the rest of the car needs help!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, that's what I thought, but the old starter did the exact same thing, which is why I replaced it. I guess it could be that I got a bad replacement?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Pretty simple to test....

1. Got a test light? Great. Connect the ground lead to the NEGATIVE battery TERMINAL, not the post, and probe the POSITIVE battery TERMINAL, not the post. Lights right up proceed to #2. Doesn't light up: Fix connection problem.

2. Leave the ground lead connected to the NEGATIVE battery terminal and probe the LARGE POST on the starter solenoid facing the battery. Lights right up proceed to #3. Doesn't light up: Fix connection problem or bad cable.

3. Disconnect STARTER CABLE from starter solenoid. Attach probe to LARGE POST on the starter solenoid facing the rear. Have someone turn the ignition key to "START". Solenoid clacks and test light comes on proceed to #4. Doesn't light up: Proceed to #3a.

3a. Attach probe to small nut at the bottom of the starter solenoid "S" post (front-most small post) and have someone turn the ignition key to "START". Lights up but no "Clack" from the solenoid, check solenoid ground. If okay, replace solenoid. Doesn't light, check continuity of circuit from solenoid back to ignition switch "S" post, including Neutral Safety Switch, if automatic transmission or jumper wire in NSS harness if manual transmission. Assuming everything is fine here, use test light to probe ignition switch "S" post when key turned to "START". If test light comes on but solenoid doesn't "Clack" you still have an open circuit between the ignition switch and the solenoid. If the test light DOESN'T come on, probe the ignition switch "B" post. If no juice there, check continuity from there back to the LARGE LUG at the front of the solenoid.

4. Reconnect starter cable to starter solenoid. Turn key to "START" position. If starter doesn't crank, probe the large lug on the starter motor when key turned to the "START" position. If light DOES NOT come on, replace starter cable. If light comes on, check ground between starter housing and bellhousing separator plate/bellhousing. If ground is okay, replace the starter.

Phew...
bigstar likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page