USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post
Use the money for new tires?

$2k won't get you a supercharger, but if you want huge growly tire-shredding power, that'd be 'next' I guess. I wouldn't mess with the gears. Despite you almost never going 55, steeper gears would make it miserable if you ever had to get on the interstate, and would make your first gear become less useful. Your toploader's an awesome transmission, even with no overdrive.

Another fun option might be to add some kind of ram air? Either a shaker hood scoop or just a regular one. They usually add a *little* power but they're more about looks than anything.
I could have sworn that I read an article a few years ago about someone adding a 5th overdrive gear to an existing toploader's 4 gears....a five speed toploader would be the ideal.
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:18 PM

Gear Vendors overdrive (or better yet, Hone-O-Drive) is a possibility, but they're both expensive. Well over 2k. From what I remember, they don't like being engaged when you put your car in reverse, either.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln

post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzahm View Post
MAybe have it dyno'd to verify HP numbers and from there you could retune or see what power adders you could do. 400 hp seems pretty good though...a gear swap might get you the seat in the pants feel of more power- but I am not sure if you went higher (gear) with 400hp if you would be able to "hook" up or just spin all the way down the road (but you said you like to spin tires) How about a line lock for the brakes so you can really spin?
Thought about doing a dyno. Nowhere real local to me to do it. I've seen at events I go to they will do 3 pulls for $70. Might try to find one of these. Doesn't seem like the gears idea if favorable based on the other responses here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladezo View Post
If it was me, I would focus on fine tuning the carb and ignition. Having these dialed in real good can help a lot. An air/fuel ratio meter would help dialing the carb. Ideal ignition advance can yield nice power gains.
I do have the carb tuned well and have put the timing light to it but you may be correct. A true professional may be able to dial it in better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
I wouldn't use the money on the engine as long as its running well...I would upgrade the suspension for the car to be able to handle better myself...but considering you have traction bars, it seems you may not be interested in the twisties anyway....
For what I do the handling is fine with me. Don't do corners. Not sure what you mean by twisties....corners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Pony View Post
That what it sounds like to me. Sounds like someone has 2K to put towards their next project car
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzhoser View Post
Wow. It sounds like you have a great thing going AND leftover cash to boot. Both are good problems to have.
If I had room I would start another project. My wife thinks I'm nuts because I already have more room outside than what our house has. If it came down to it we'd probably be getting a car for her. She keeps hinting at it. I only have a couple grand though, not $10k+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_wilson View Post
In addition to that mentioned, I would verify what camshaft you have. You can get a rough idea with a dial indicator at the valve. I see they offer 2 versions of their RPM kit now, 400 HP and 451 HP, with the main difference being CNC ported heads, camshaft, and an Air Gap intake. I'm not sure how you could determine CR, but you could pull the intake to see if the heads are ported. 1 3/4" headers and a 2 1/2" exhaust with free-flowing mufflers MAY help a bit also.
I really would like to know what camshaft I have. Good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
No brainer: Pay down the mortgage. If the mortgage is paid, pay into your 401k or IRA.
You ain't no fun. My mortgage gets paid and I have plenty in my 401k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
The first thing I thought of was higher gear, but had to re-read to see the 3.55 TrueTrac. I know you're looking for suggestions, but it sounds like the car is doing EXACTLY what you want it to do. Maybe a safety feature or two, like upgraded belts, etc...

Allen
You very well may be right that it does what I want. I don't know any more than what I have. Just looking for thoughts and suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTepper View Post
From your description, your car's performance already does what you want. What exactly are you trying to "fix" with your $2K?
I'm not trying to fix anything. Seems to me there could always be room for improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69RR View Post
Sounds like you at your max for hp/torque for your current configuration. Time to sell and move to a new project. Nice problem to have. Seems like your car is humming along nicely.
I hate to sell and move to something else because it works so well and I've put a lot of time into this car the last couple years. I believe I'm attached to it even though I'm in Chevy country and get ragged on.

Quote:
Use the money for new tires?

$2k won't get you a supercharger, but if you want huge growly tire-shredding power, that'd be 'next' I guess. I wouldn't mess with the gears. Despite you almost never going 55, steeper gears would make it miserable if you ever had to get on the interstate, and would make your first gear become less useful. Your toploader's an awesome transmission, even with no overdrive.

Another fun option might be to add some kind of ram air? Either a shaker hood scoop or just a regular one. They usually add a *little* power but they're more about looks than anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2me View Post
Sounds like you may want to buy $2k worth of rear tires to have on hand. I don't know, it sounds like you have a pretty good set up...supercharger?
I've looked into the supercharger but again I don't want to spend that much if I don't know the condition of the motor and I read your motor has to be spec'd a certain way to take a supercharger. As far as a hood scoop, I assume you are referring to something different than what I have in my profile pic. I don't like the looks of the scoops that the opening faces the front of the car.

1965 Coupe
351W - ~400 Engine hp
Edelbrock Performer RPM Top End Kit
Holley 670 Street Avenger
Bored .30 over
Hooker Headers
MSD Box/Distributor
4 Speed Toploader
3.55 Limited Slip Detroit TrueTrac
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
Sounds like youíre pretty good as is!
You could be right.

Quote:
I could have sworn that I read an article a few years ago about someone adding a 5th overdrive gear to an existing toploader's 4 gears....a five speed toploader would be the ideal.
Quote:
Gear Vendors overdrive (or better yet, Hone-O-Drive) is a possibility, but they're both expensive. Well over 2k. From what I remember, they don't like being engaged when you put your car in reverse, either.
Don't feel the need for 5th gear. Extremely rare to get on the highway. When I was swapping my close ratio for wide ratio I believe the member Dennis111 on here said not to put the OD gear in the toploader. He may have done it and broke it or something.

1965 Coupe
351W - ~400 Engine hp
Bored .30 over
Hooker Headers
MSD Box/Distributor
4 Speed Toploader
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2me View Post
Sounds like you may want to buy $2k worth of rear tires to have on hand. I don't know, it sounds like you have a pretty good set up...supercharger?
The way my BF's wear they will last forever. I've done plenty of burnouts this year and doesn't even look like they've worn down. Hard tire.

1965 Coupe
351W - ~400 Engine hp
Bored .30 over
Hooker Headers
MSD Box/Distributor
4 Speed Toploader
post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrowles View Post
Thought about doing a dyno. Nowhere real local to me to do it. I've seen at events I go to they will do 3 pulls for $70. Might try to find one of these. Doesn't seem like the gears idea if favorable based on the other responses here.

I do have the carb tuned well and have put the timing light to it but you may be correct. A true professional may be able to dial it in better.

For what I do the handling is fine with me. Don't do corners. Not sure what you mean by twisties....corners?

If I had room I would start another project. My wife thinks I'm nuts because I already have more room outside than what our house has. If it came down to it we'd probably be getting a car for her. She keeps hinting at it. I only have a couple grand though, not $10k+.

I really would like to know what camshaft I have. Good info.

You ain't no fun. My mortgage gets paid and I have plenty in my 401k.

You very well may be right that it does what I want. I don't know any more than what I have. Just looking for thoughts and suggestions.

I'm not trying to fix anything. Seems to me there could always be room for improvements.

I hate to sell and move to something else because it works so well and I've put a lot of time into this car the last couple years. I believe I'm attached to it even though I'm in Chevy country and get ragged on.

I've looked into the supercharger but again I don't want to spend that much if I don't know the condition of the motor and I read your motor has to be spec'd a certain way to take a supercharger. As far as a hood scoop, I assume you are referring to something different than what I have in my profile pic. I don't like the looks of the scoops that the opening faces the front of the car.

You are making it hard to find something...what about comfort? AC, different seats? Or refining what you have...$2000(actually $1200) would buy you a top of the line Megasquirt 3 EFI standalone(though you would still have to find/modify a manifold for injectors and the remainder could complete the rest of the fuel system with a bit of judicious shopping) and let you add things like traction control(allowing you to get rid of the traction bars), nitrous control(if you were interested in any such thing) along with EFI(obviously).

Another suggestion is the upgrade the rear suspension...traction bars are a bandaid and dont address the real problem that is actually causing wheelhop, they just treat the symptom...not the cause.
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:31 PM

If it ain't broke ... besides maybe the dyno to check AFR there doesn't appear to be any need to change anything. Nevertheless, here are some ideas (we all like spending other's money):
safety ... 3 pt belts and head rests
comfort ... new seats or padding
brake pads ... Porterfield shoes and pads (even bigger brakes?)
shocks ... Bilstein
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
I wouldn't use the money on the engine as long as its running well...I would upgrade the suspension for the car to be able to handle better myself...but considering you have traction bars, it seems you may not be interested in the twisties anyway....
I autox with old school Lakewood slappers. Why ? Because I can

Brad
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You are making it hard to find something...what about comfort? AC, different seats? Or refining what you have...$2000(actually $1200) would buy you a top of the line Megasquirt 3 EFI standalone(though you would still have to find/modify a manifold for injectors and the remainder could complete the rest of the fuel system with a bit of judicious shopping) and let you add things like traction control(allowing you to get rid of the traction bars), nitrous control(if you were interested in any such thing) along with EFI(obviously).

Another suggestion is the upgrade the rear suspension...traction bars are a bandaid and dont address the real problem that is actually causing wheelhop, they just treat the symptom...not the cause.
LOL. Yeah I'm like that. Maybe like others have said, there's not much else to do without getting "out there" and that's the reassurance I need. I literally don't know anybody else with a car similar to mine that drives it like I drive mine so I don't have anything to compare.

I will have to check out that Megasquirt. At quick glance that looks chinese to me.

One thing I've been wanting to do is determine if my suspension is original or aftermarket. I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Ultimately more seat of the pants when in the pedal is what I'd like. I didn't think my car was really that crazy but maybe it is for a vintage street car. The supercharger like mentioned is something had looked into about a year ago but thought you had to know what components make up your engine to do.

1965 Coupe
351W - ~400 Engine hp
Bored .30 over
Hooker Headers
MSD Box/Distributor
4 Speed Toploader
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:39 PM

Simply said, you have a setup that impresses other people, is reliable, and works well for you. If you change one thing, you may find that your well-planned combination requires changes to other things to bring it all back into balance and make it 'fun' again.

Aside from things you don't care much about (like suspension) there really isn't a lot of improvement you could realistically make for 2k.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrowles View Post
LOL. Yeah I'm like that. Maybe like others have said, there's not much else to do without getting "out there" and that's the reassurance I need. I literally don't know anybody else with a car similar to mine that drives it like I drive mine so I don't have anything to compare.

I will have to check out that Megasquirt. At quick glance that looks chinese to me.

One thing I've been wanting to do is determine if my suspension is original or aftermarket. I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Ultimately more seat of the pants when in the pedal is what I'd like. I didn't think my car was really that crazy but maybe it is for a vintage street car. The supercharger like mentioned is something had looked into about a year ago but thought you had to know what components make up your engine to do.
Haha...Megasquirt isn't Chinese....it is however more of a grassroots EFI system than the big name expensive ones...more for those who dont mind a little DIY. I have assembled 3 Megasquirt units now myself(one MS1 unit I still have sitting on a shelf from a previous project car and 2 MS3 units)...but assembly isn't for everyone...some like the pre-assembled units(which adds cost of course) or the plug and play units(which also adds cost...obviously only available for those vehicles that came with EFI from the factory...think there is a plug and play unit that uses a fox mustang harness though so it could be easily adapted to a classic mustang). I prefer to build my own and wire them up myself...its not difficult really and allows control over anything you could want(as an example, I am using one output on a MS3 unit to control a Holset HE351 VE turbocharger by opening and closing the VGT vanes depending on engine load, turbo shaft RPM, and vacuum/boost levels). Also included is things like fan control, boost control etc...think of Megasquirt as being an infinitely customizable standalone EFI system...the cost of that is that it has a steeper learning curve than something like a Holley sniper EFI...EFI would likely gain you some HP once properly tuned...but is more about refining your engine to just run smoother and get better gas mileage...can even do away with the distributor if you want and do things like run LS1 coils which will also gain you a few HP

Last edited by wicked93gs; 07-19-2019 at 01:58 PM.
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Haha...Megasquirt isn't Chinese....it is however more of a grassroots EFI system than the big name expensive ones...more for those who dont mind a little DIY. I have assembled 3 Megasquirt units now myself(one MS1 unit I still have sitting on a shelf from a previous project car and 2 MS3 units)...but assembly isn't for everyone...some like the pre-assembled units(which adds cost of course) or the plug and play units(which also adds cost...obviously only available for those vehicles that came with EFI from the factory...think there is a plug and play unit that uses a fox mustang harness though so it could be easily adapted to a classic mustang). I prefer to build my own and wire them up myself...its not difficult really and allows control over anything you could want(as an example, I am using one output on a MS3 unit to control a Holset HE351 VE turbocharger by opening and closing the VGT vanes depending on engine load, turbo shaft RPM, and vacuum/boost levels). Also included is things like fan control, boost control etc...think of Megasquirt as being an infinitely customizable standalone EFI system...the cost of that is that it has a steeper learning curve than something like a Holley sniper EFI...EFI would likely gain you some HP once properly tuned...but is more about refining your engine to just run smoother and get better gas mileage...can even do away with the distributor if you want and do things like run LS1 coils which will also gain you a few HP
By Chinese I meant I don't quite understand it on the surface. Seems neat but elaborate. I will have to look into though. And gas mileage.....what's that? Getting about 8-10 right now.

1965 Coupe
351W - ~400 Engine hp
Bored .30 over
Hooker Headers
MSD Box/Distributor
4 Speed Toploader
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Guns and ammo for the coming apocalypse.
Huntingky and DonP like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
Guns and ammo for the coming apocalypse.
I got ya. Cut a moon roof in with the saws all and mount the 50 bmg up there.
DrHawkeye likes this.

1965 Coupe
351W - ~400 Engine hp
Bored .30 over
Hooker Headers
MSD Box/Distributor
4 Speed Toploader
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page