Have a couple grand to spend - more hp? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 38Likes

post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Have a couple grand to spend - more hp?

As title states I have a couple grand I can spend. This is probably a very broad questions and just looking for ideas. Maybe my best bet is to scan the forum thread topics but to be honest quite a few threads I don't understand pros/cons of what people are doing. So here's some info listed below. Brainstorming. I also would prefer not to add things that can be "finicky" and cause me problems. For the most part this car runs really well and I don't have any major issues. Fires up and runs without hiccup every time. I'm not interested in discussing body work and paint. Mostly I just hot rod around in 1st 2nd and a little bit of 3rd. I don't corner and I don't drive fast. I like to hear it rumble and I like to spin the tires. So what are some thoughts and options I can research?

My primary thought is more power because I like power but the problem is I bought this car built the way it is and the guy I bought it from was the owner after the build and he didn't get the specs. I also don't know the overall condition. It was built in 2005. I have done compression testing that turned out well but other than that I'm not sure. It runs very strong and my "gearhead" buddy called it a torque monster when he rode with me the other weekend.

*1965 Coupe
*351W - ~400 Engine hp
*Edelbrock Performer RPM Top End Kit - I'm not 100% on this one. Was told by PO it has top end kit with ported/polished heads. Intake is Performer RPM.
*Holley 670 Street Avenger - tuned well
*Bored .30 over
*Hooker Headers
*2 1/4" exhaust
*MSD Box/Distributor
*4 Speed Toploader - Not really interested in a 5 speed just to get overdrive. I like my toploader
*3.55 Detroit TrueTrac - gear swap to feel like I have more hp/torque? Rarely am I on the roads doing more than 55 mph.
*Car has old school traction bars and no issues with wheel hop
*Flex fan - never had any overheating problems even in 95 degree weather. Flex fan can be annoying though.
*Front disc - brakes manual - I'm fine with it
*Manual steering - I'm fine with it
*No vibrations

After typing this mess out I'm hesitant to do anything major with the motor because I don't truly know what makes it up or its condition. Is it a complete tear down to figure this out?
Would a leak down test give me everything I need to know on condition? Suggestions?

I'm thinking maybe a gear swap would give me the illusion I'm searching for. ??

1965 Coupe
351W - ~400 Engine hp
Edelbrock Performer RPM Top End Kit
Holley 670 Street Avenger
Bored .30 over
Hooker Headers
MSD Box/Distributor
4 Speed Toploader
3.55 Limited Slip Detroit TrueTrac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:19 AM

MAybe have it dyno'd to verify HP numbers and from there you could retune or see what power adders you could do. 400 hp seems pretty good though...a gear swap might get you the seat in the pants feel of more power- but I am not sure if you went higher (gear) with 400hp if you would be able to "hook" up or just spin all the way down the road (but you said you like to spin tires) How about a line lock for the brakes so you can really spin?
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:20 AM

Wow. It sounds like you have a great thing going AND leftover cash to boot. Both are good problems to have.

1966 Coupe "The Blue Falcon"

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:24 AM

Garage
If it was me, I would focus on fine tuning the carb and ignition. Having these dialed in real good can help a lot. An air/fuel ratio meter would help dialing the carb. Ideal ignition advance can yield nice power gains.
Rebel Racing likes this.

'67 coupe, 390, 4spd.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:26 AM

I wouldn't use the money on the engine as long as its running well...I would upgrade the suspension for the car to be able to handle better myself...but considering you have traction bars, it seems you may not be interested in the twisties anyway....
2nd 66 and BlakeTX like this.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzhoser View Post
Wow. It sounds like you have a great thing going AND leftover cash to boot. Both are good problems to have.
That what it sounds like to me. Sounds like someone has 2K to put towards their next project car
dzhoser and Mr.E like this.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:07 AM

In addition to that mentioned, I would verify what camshaft you have. You can get a rough idea with a dial indicator at the valve. I see they offer 2 versions of their RPM kit now, 400 HP and 451 HP, with the main difference being CNC ported heads, camshaft, and an Air Gap intake. I'm not sure how you could determine CR, but you could pull the intake to see if the heads are ported. 1 3/4" headers and a 2 1/2" exhaust with free-flowing mufflers MAY help a bit also.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:12 AM

No brainer: Pay down the mortgage. If the mortgage is paid, pay into your 401k or IRA.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
No brainer: Pay down the mortgage. If the mortgage is paid, pay into your 401k or IRA.
Boring
W211_RYDA and vegasloki like this.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrowles View Post

*1965 Coupe
*351W - ~400 Engine hp
*Edelbrock Performer RPM Top End Kit - I'm not 100% on this one. Was told by PO it has top end kit with ported/polished heads. Intake is Performer RPM.
*Holley 670 Street Avenger - tuned well
*Bored .30 over
*Hooker Headers
*2 1/4" exhaust
*MSD Box/Distributor
*4 Speed Toploader - Not really interested in a 5 speed just to get overdrive. I like my toploader
*3.55 Detroit TrueTrac - gear swap to feel like I have more hp/torque? Rarely am I on the roads doing more than 55 mph.
*Car has old school traction bars and no issues with wheel hop
*Flex fan - never had any overheating problems even in 95 degree weather. Flex fan can be annoying though.
*Front disc - brakes manual - I'm fine with it
*Manual steering - I'm fine with it
*No vibrations
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzahm View Post
MAybe have it dyno'd to verify HP numbers and from there you could retune or see what power adders you could do. 400 hp seems pretty good though...a gear swap might get you the seat in the pants feel of more power- but I am not sure if you went higher (gear) with 400hp if you would be able to "hook" up or just spin all the way down the road (but you said you like to spin tires) How about a line lock for the brakes so you can really spin?
The first thing I thought of was higher gear, but had to re-read to see the 3.55 TrueTrac. I know you're looking for suggestions, but it sounds like the car is doing EXACTLY what you want it to do. Maybe a safety feature or two, like upgraded belts, etc...

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:26 AM

Garage
From your description, your car's performance already does what you want. What exactly are you trying to "fix" with your $2K?
Israel likes this.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:48 AM

Sounds like you at your max for hp/torque for your current configuration. Time to sell and move to a new project. Nice problem to have. Seems like your car is humming along nicely.

Got my hands on the wheel, foot to the pedal, gonna drive this car till the tires turn to metal - gonna sleep when I'm dead and laugh at the devil..
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:52 AM

Garage
For a true performance upgrade, paint your calipers red. Instantly adds 20% braking power!

Sorry, this area isn't my strong point. Others have and will pitch in with good suggestions
Huntingky and dzhoser like this.

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:02 PM

Use the money for new tires?

$2k won't get you a supercharger, but if you want huge growly tire-shredding power, that'd be 'next' I guess. I wouldn't mess with the gears. Despite you almost never going 55, steeper gears would make it miserable if you ever had to get on the interstate, and would make your first gear become less useful. Your toploader's an awesome transmission, even with no overdrive.

Another fun option might be to add some kind of ram air? Either a shaker hood scoop or just a regular one. They usually add a *little* power but they're more about looks than anything.
mexicruiser likes this.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:03 PM

Sounds like you may want to buy $2k worth of rear tires to have on hand. I don't know, it sounds like you have a pretty good set up...supercharger?
Grimbrand likes this.

Early 65
1998 5.0, fitech efi, holley in tank returnless pump
4R70W transmission with USShift quick 2 controller
3.00:1 8" open rear end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page