How to: 3 point shoulder belts in 65-68 fastback - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By 1965GTFB
  • 1 Post By JeffTepper

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

How to: 3 point shoulder belts in 65-68 fastback

This is how I installed 3 point shoulder belts in my 65 fastback (also did it this way in my son's 67 Fastback).
** Warning: This is how I installed them. It is up to you how you install them in your car. I am not responsible for the decision of any one else of how they choose to install 3 point shoulder belts in their car even if they install them in a manner exactly like I describe here or any manner similar in any way to what I describe here. **

This is how I installed them to be the most comfortable, look as clean as possible, not be too high on the neck, not flap in the wind with the window down. Take this for what it's worth and don't waste posting replies about " too low, blah blah". Location is higher then the factory location on a Fox convertible.

When building cars I'm a "No new holes and no zip ties" guy. So the decision to cut the rear quarter trim panels was not taken lightly. Which by BTW is a cut it in the right spot the first time proposition. The hard one was the first one I cut on the son's 67 which got this install first. Made a template to use on the other side then used it on my 65. I'm the 2nd owner and have had the car as my daily driver for over 25 years and decided to switch from lap belts during the interior resto and the 6,000 mile road trip my wife and I just finished.

Parts
- Belts used are Retro Belt with aviation style buckles.
- Mounting bracket for pivot point is from a Mustang Fox body convertible and are modified. A bracket like this could be fabricated. Welded on a piece of flat bar as an extra brace that can be seen in the background of one of the pics.
- Bezel is a part for a 911 Porsche(Pelican Parts) and is modified and painted to match(they come black).

The pic are pretty self explanatory but here are some descriptions to go with them. Some of the pics will also be from the 67 install, black brackets are the 65. Both cars use brackets modified the same.
- Retro Belts are inertia reel so can be mounted in various positions unlike those that use a weight system.
- Plastic cover is felt off the pivot point loop.
- Factory location is used for mounting the front end on the inner rocker panel with original 65 hardware.
- The chrome loop at the pivot point comes with the belts and is mounted into the factory threaded lug on the Fox bracket.
- The 2 locations on the inner quarter metal with blobs of black paint are hardware mounting points.
- 2 bolts hold the upper brackets, 1 factory Fox Torx bolt and a grade 5 bolt. The bracket is wrapped around the back side
- Retractor box is mounted with plate with stud(Retro Belt hardware) plus 2 other bolts, through the body pinch weld area.
- Retractor box mounting plate was ground down a little on outboard side to clear outside bolt head to allow exact vertical mounting.
- Receptacle side of belt system mounts in factory location on driveshaft tunnel with original 65 hardware.
- There is 1 pic that shows a measurement for the location of the upper bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4803.jpg (383.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4835.jpg (382.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4930.jpg (276.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4926.jpg (350.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01264.jpg (318.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01265.jpg (393.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01335.jpg (422.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5411.jpg (375.7 KB, 25 views)
Huntingky and capemustang like this.

'68 J code coupe back in H.S.1st car. Now 65 GTFB
Daughter & I built her a '66 coupe feature car in 8/04 MM & '05 Meguiar's winner see it @ Meguiars.com Made matching pedal car for her daughters.
Built a '68 j code coupe with oldest son. Made matching pedal car for his sons.
Built a '67 FB with youngest son. Yes I'll be making a matching pedal car when he has kids.
Future '74 TR6 Project for Wife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:11 PM

Garage
Cool write up!

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:16 PM

That looks nice and clean. I don't think there's enough room to do that on a coupe ?

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:27 PM

Nicely done. Not too different from what Shelby did in the convertibles

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_wilson View Post
I don't think there's enough room to do that on a coupe ?
Here is how I installed them in my older son's 68 coupe. Also works the same on 65-66 coupes.
Just clears the window crank. Threaded plate attached to inner rocker and also tapped the inner rocker.
I have a detailed write up on it that is too large to post here.

Same disclaimer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2469.jpg (376.0 KB, 16 views)

Daughter & I built her a '66 coupe feature car in 8/04 MM & '05 Meguiar's winner see it @ Meguiars.com Made matching pedal car for her daughters.
Built a '67 FB with youngest son. Yes I'll be making a matching pedal car when he has kids.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:32 PM
Dimples

Garage
The mounting bracket is a really smooth solution. Nice job there.

The anvil of reality.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965GTFB View Post
Here is how I installed them in my older son's 68 coupe. Also works the same on 65-66 coupes.
Just clears the window crank. Threaded plate attached to inner rocker and also tapped the inner rocker.
I have a detailed write up on it that is too large to post here.

Same disclaimer.
So both the 2+2 and hardtop installs are awesome! I've been looking to go 3 point in my 65 hardtop that I autoX. My dumb question is, the tensioner is only to take up the belt slack when the belts are not in use and has nothing to do with holding tension while braking? I'm 99.9% sure the tensioner is just to keep from having a sloppy loose belt mess when not in use but the websites are vague. I'll be doing whatever is necessary to mount the shoulder pivot at the roof.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
My dumb question is, the tensioner is only to take up the belt slack when the belts are not in use and has nothing to do with holding tension while braking? I'm 99.9% sure the tensioner is just to keep from having a sloppy loose belt mess when not in use but the websites are vague.
If you mean the black plastic clip(for lack of a better thing to call it) that is in the coupe pic at the top at the pivot point, then I think the answer to your question is yes.
In this case is used to make sure there is enough slack so that rear seat passengers do not trip on the front belt when entering and exiting the rear seat.

Included another pic of the front belts.
Also, that car also has 3 point belts in the rear. Using Fox vert rear belts and bracket fabricated to mount in trunk. Pics below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0678.jpg (479.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2473.jpg (397.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2476.jpg (475.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2480.jpg (358.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2475.jpg (392.6 KB, 10 views)

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:43 AM

Very nice, much cleaner appearance than mine, mounted outside the fastback trim panel....add those brackets to my "junk yard crawl" items to be on the lookout for. Plus maybe a used set of f/b trim panels that someone already put speaker holes in, for a reasonable price, lol, define reasonable. After having mounted mine externally as most of us have done... I like your way better...sigh...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:36 AM

Garage
Ted:

Very clean install on the fastback. I did something similar mounting the retractor reel inside the quarter trim panel on a '69 Mach 1 but I used the plastic escutcheon from a '70's Corvette !

Regards, Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hidden seat bel retractor.jpg (113.0 KB, 4 views)
Grabber70Mach likes this.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Jeff,
Thant's a nice clean look on the 69. I like it.
Ted

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to c6fastback
Something else to consider while my 66 fastback interior is out of the car . Thanks.

68 302-4V w/1.84",1.54" ported , Comp XE268H , 2200 rpm Hughes converter, 3.25 9" w/10x2.5" shoes , MSD box/distrib , RPM intake , 670 Holley , cross flow aluminum radiator , Granada discs......

Michael S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page