• 1 Post By bmcgc
  • 1 Post By bmcgc
  • 1 Post By bmcgc
  • 1 Post By Nailbender
  • 1 Post By bmcgc
  • 1 Post By bmcgc

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

My PS Saga

Starting a new thread to ease following my saga.

Im creeping closer to having the parts onhand to install PS on my 65 289 with AC.

I still need a 65/66 AC clutch, the fixed idler for the AC, mine doesnt have it and to figure out how the adjusting idler moves out from the 2nd crank groove to the 3rd crank groove. As far as I can tell, Ford only offered one adjusting idler, with or without PS.

Heres my parts list so far:

AC is currently on the car and working, with R12, no less.

AC COMPRESSOR C3AA 2875 G YORK
AC BRACKET C5AA 2888 D
DOG LEG BRACKET C5AA 2882 G
AC IDLER C5AA 8A619 B

Parts I bought from MustangerDan:

PS PUMP BRACKET C5AZ 3A732 B
PS PUMP PULLEY AA
PS PUMP THOMPSON PUMP W/AC - Bought from Rock Auto

WP PULLEY C6AE 8509 A

CRANK PULLEY C5OE A

Im planning on an entire weekend once I gather all the parts:

Repaint engine/valve covers/air cleaner
Replace WP/thermostat/hoses/flush
Replace Carb
Install PS bracket/pulleys/pump. Once I see everything lines up, remove pump until I buy Chockos bottom end.

I see a few challenges: Supporting the AC compressor without losing my R12 and it looks like the fuel line is in the way of the PS bracket.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:29 AM

I still need a 65/66 AC clutch, the fixed idler for the AC, mine doesn't have it
The 65-66 fixed idler was a dealer fix for customers who complained about belt vibration. It is widely available in reproduction.

and to figure out how the adjusting idler moves out from the 2nd crank groove to the 3rd crank groove.
The AC belt was never in the second groove. The adjustable 65-66 idler replaces the triangular upper alternator bracket.

As far as I can tell, Ford only offered one adjusting idler, with or without PS.
There was no adjustable idler on non-AC cars. The alternator itself did the adjusting on the alternator belt, and the power steering pump did the adjusting on PS cars.

Heres my parts list so far:

AC is currently on the car and working, with R12, no less.
So is mine.

I see a few challenges: Supporting the AC compressor without losing my R12
Bolt a chain from the compressor to the top shock bolts.

and it looks like the fuel line is in the way of the PS bracket.
The oddly-bent factory fuel line actually snakes between the fuel pump, timing cover, and the AC bracket.

Maybe we need to see a photo of your engine.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.

Last edited by 22GT; 07-20-2019 at 11:32 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

The AC belt is in the second groove when you dont have PS. AC only is a 2 groove crank pulley and one groove WP pulley.

I bought a SD WP bolt set, it comes with a bunch of spacers and poor instructions.

MustangerDan tells me I have a 67 AC clutch, the 65/66 clutch moves the belt out to the third crank pulley. So, I need to locate a 65/66 AC clutch, and I want to add the 2nd idler to reduce the AC belt slap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pulleys1.jpg (261.3 KB, 6 views)
myfirstcar66 likes this.

2017 Mustang EB Premium

Last edited by bmcgc; 07-20-2019 at 03:25 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Circle the wagons!

I picked up the last of the parts I think I need today.

Bob sent me a fixed idler and a 65 AC clutch.

CJ Pony sent me some odds and ends.

I picked up a Summit 500 cfm carb, Weiand manifold, and some odds and ends.

After much thought and debate I bought a Borgeson 999023 kit. I think this is the PS kit I need

My car is factory manual steering. On the engine side I have all ford with a TRW pump. So all I need from Borgeson is the box, shaft and hoses. I emailed Borgeson and explained my setup and received a lame generic answer from some guy that was probably selling shoes or pizzas last week. He recommended the full kit with their pump. Zero help on the customer service.

Any chance I will get the factory steering box and shaft out in one piece? My exhaust is welded so its not coming off.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

I started the tear down this afternoon.

I have a $2500 pile of parts on the garage floor and no idea what Im really doing.

This PS install has my head spinning. I have read and reread everything I can find on the subject so Im at the point of just doing it. It will work or it will not work.

The alt, intake, carb, valve covers and air cleaner install is pretty straight foreword. Im sure that I will find that Im missing a few odds and ends, but thats nothing new.

Wish me luck.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:47 PM

I went from a Eaton setup from who knows what to manual to the Ford pump setup. I have an 1/8" spacer glued to the back of my WP pulley along with various washers to gain pulley alignment. Enjoy your learning experience and share with others!
myfirstcar66 likes this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

End of day one, so far so good.

What a PITA getting the thermostat housing off with the manifold on the engine.

All brackets that attach to the WP are off, alt is off, WP pulley is off, all three hoses off.

All bolts are soaking in Evaporust, new alt is detailed with a new harness installed. I swapped my original fan and spacer to the new alt, but kept the new pulley. My old pulley was 2.75 dia, the new one is 2.6, I hope that cures my alt light at idle.

Im on the fence on changing out the WP. Its just sitting there, mocking me....................
myfirstcar66 likes this.

2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Come on Summit Racing!

You dont have Felpro SBF intake manifold gaskets in stock?

Expected ship date for MS901031 29 Aug.

You have to be kidding.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:16 PM

Yes! The whole online super mega seller thing is changing. Summit, my absolute number one all things fast online retailer for the last 5 years has been sending me used stuff in not so new condition lately.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Ran into some problems today:

The 3 groove crank pulley and two groove WP pulley are installed. The two inside grooves line up, so those pulleys are matched.

The 65 AC clutch is installed, it needs a rebuild, so its just there to confirm pulley alignment. It lines up with the crank pulley.

The new WP is installed without the gasket. The gasket looks like it will push the WP about 1/32 away from the engine.

The PS pump bracket I got from MustangerBob is bent, the pump will not install in the bracket, I think I can fix it. I didnt install it on the engine, I was mocking up the pump when I discovered it was a no-go.

The AMK WP bolt kit is not going to work. I installed the adjustable idler as it was originally installed and measured how far it will need to come out to meet the AC belt. It looks like adding the 3rd pulley pushed everything out 1/2in. The spacers in the kit are 3/16 thick, Im 5/16 short. I should be able to find a 1/2 or 15/32 bushing somewhere. I will also need one for the alt.

Made progress today,, but much left to do.

2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:40 AM

Just some comments from my similar changes...

I switched to a sanden AC compressor. My car had the additional idler pulley to help with belt slap when it had the factory compressor. Removed it when I went to the sanden. Worked just fine without it. The sanden doesn't need the dog leg bracket, nor the intake brace.

I also swapped to the borgeson setup from my factory power steering. I tried the Ford pump, but it wasn't very happy and its huge! On went the Saginaw pump and bracket from Borgeson. Mounted easily. Although the hoses were too short in the kit. Ugh. I then noticed after a while of driving that it had deformed the rag joint from pressure of the spring at the steering wheel. I'd HIGHLY suggest mustang steves bearing and retainer kit. It also makes the install a bit easier as you're not fighting the steering shaft and spring.

I had the motor out when I took the original box out, but supposedly you CAN get it with the motor in, it's just a hassle. Some people undo the motor mount and lift the drivers side of the engine up to clear it a bit more. Some say thats not necessary. Some cut the factory shaft too.

To run AC, and PS you've got the pulleys figured out. It needs a 2 row water pump pulley and the three row crank pulley. I've got the original, a junk wobbly stamped piece CJ's sent me AND a nice billet one from CVF racing all sitting on my floor. Ive now got CVF's serpentine setup ready to go on.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

As practical as possible without spending a small or large fortune, I want it to look 1965 under the hood.

Im sticking with the Ford pump, Ive got $500+ in the engine side of things as it is.

I have the Borgeson setup in the garage, but Im returning it and buying the 6 cyl version, Im told the hoes are longer.

I also have the fixed idler, but it installs with the PS pump bracket, Im not that far along yet.

My car doesnt have the intake brace, but Im looking for one.

2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Today, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Went out and loosely installed the PS pump bracket. Took a bit of finesse but it went on, then realized that I should have installed the new fuel line first.

The bracket was bent and I put it in a press to straighten it back up, so I needed to see if everything was in alignment. It is!

Live and learn.

Still need the adjustable idler, havent had time to run one down.

Water pump still not installed.

Im wondering if I need to install the bracket and pump as an assembly, Im not sure I can squeeze the pump in the bracket around the AC lines.

2017 Mustang EB Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page