Vintage Mustang Forums banner

For you do it yourselfers out there!

3K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  GT350HR 
#1 ·
I can relate sometimes! Just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm with ya. In the process of restoring a 1953 International truck. I for the life of me could not get any of the lug nuts loose on 2 wheels. Was really frustrating. Ended up pulling the hub and all off attached to the wheel and took to the shop. Studs were left hand thread.

Reactions: myfirstcar66
#3 ·
Yea, I have had those moments too. Usually happens at the end of a long day or when you are deep into a difficult project. It's true that it's usually good to step away for a while and come back to it with a clear head.

I think this guy just needs a bigger puller :wink:

#6 ·
My wife was one of those gifted kids. She even had a shirt with this comic on it. To give you an idea of just how smart, she won Jeopardy in 2006. But I see her do crap like this everyday. She amazes me all the time with her ability to not see something happening 6" away from her. (Like the dog drinking out of her glass while we sit on the couch.) I love her to death, but man, her focus could use a little help. However, just hope she isn't at your bar on trivia night!

#25 ·
If the criteria is less than 159 than almost every person on the planet is a member. It think the cutoff for "DENSA" (the bottom 2%) is about 70 or so.

#13 ·
My son in the military called me up a week or so ago all excited. A while ago I'd showed him a Youtube of some hot looking woman putting a quart of oil in her BMW's engine compartment. Not the engine -- the compartment. My son laughed and that was that.
Well he called me a week or so ago all excited, he was driving back to base, about an hour or so out still and filling up at a gas station. "Dad, you're not gonna believe it but the woman in front of me did it!! She came out of the store with a litre of oil, opened it and poured oil all over her engine like she was sprinkling spice or something, she shut the hood and drove off." He said he wanted to film her and put it up but thought it would be impolite or whatever. But, it proves that it they do indeed live among us.

Reactions: myfirstcar66
#14 ·
Pictures like that make me glad in a way that I grew up minus social media. I have no doubt I did many a similar doofus but I was forced to figure it out myself. Bright side is that everyone on the planet didn't point at me and and laugh. Downside is there were many a time I would have loved to have someone tell me "You're holding it upside down, just flip it over and it will go right on." Eventually I came up with my personal mantra: "Stop trying to make it go the way you think it ought to and figure out how it actually does."

A parts guy buddy recalls a lady who came in and bought a quart of oil. Came in and got another. Then another. At quart number four he went outside with her. She was actually putting oil into the correct orifice. But she apparently hadn't heard of dipsticks and had an idea you poured it in until you could see it through the cap like coolant.

Reactions: JSHarvey
#17 ·
It was a joke, a meme, something silly.....

It wasn’t a question or a how to.
The guy depicted in the picture is a knucklehead, cause he is using the absolutely wrong way to get it off.

The puller is the PREVENTING the hub from coming off.

ITS the problem.

Sorry for those heads it went over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 ·
It was a joke, a meme, something silly.....
It wasn’t a question or a how to.
The guy depicted in the picture is a knucklehead, cause he is using the absolutely wrong way to get it off.

The puller is the PREVENTING the hub from coming off.

ITS the problem.

Sorry for those heads it went over.
I can see the guy standing over the back thinking "Man the front drums came off so easy like this. These must be really rusty..."

#20 ·
This is a great post. Reminds me of working on my then-girlfriend, now wife's Honda Civic trying to change her clutch plate. I spent 20 minutes muscling and trying to figure out how to get enough torque to remove a bolt close to having the transmission detached. Turned out (after looking a lot closer) I was trying to remove a nut that was welded to the frame. The actual bolt was on the other side slightly hidden from view and removable with a basic 1/2" wrench. Everyone's an idiot at some point. Just watch out for those who can't laugh at themselves.

#26 ·
I'll add another story to the list. My wife is VERY book smart. She graduated the top of her class in Pharmacy at the Medical College of Virginia, but sometimes common sense gets the better of her.

When we were still dating she called me complaining that her windshield wiper on the driver side stopped working and it was beginning to rain. I told her the nut at the bottom of the wiper arm had probably come loose and all she needed to do was tighten it. I asked if she had any tools in the car, and of course she didn't. This is before we had cell phones so I knew she was calling from a LAN line somewhere, so I asked where she was. She said she had stopped in front of a service station to call me. I said "that's great, just ask the service station to tighten the nut for you". As serious as can be and with as much surprise in her voice as possible she said "They do that?!"

For some odd reason, I still LOVE telling that story 23 years later. And yes, we're still married.

#31 ·
Probably broke the puller and had to go find a bigger one , here's your sign.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.