Kick Panel Speakers Should Not Be This Hard! - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Kick Panel Speakers Should Not Be This Hard!

Bare with me I need to vent. I call Retrosound a few weeks ago and spoke with a very lovely lady on the phone. Very helpful. Told her what I was doing with my 66 convertible and she set me up with a system. Radio with Bluetooth, USB, dual voice front speaker, kick panel speakers and amp.

I got the kick panels specifically for the convertible along with the upgraded speakers and sound deadening. Well, the kick panels don't fit. The speaker enclosure is too far back and the panel won't slip past the fresh air vent. So I called customer support and they seemed confused as to why they didn't fit. That's ok but I told him I'd like to return the kick panels and keep the speakers. Can't do that since I bought them as a kit. Soooo, I order the same speakers, they are on their way, and packed up the other stuff to go back.

Called NPD and spoke to them about their kick panels, was told they fit fine. I got them and they fit really well. Just slight trimming on the top. Only issue I have now is the speaker opening is too small for the Retrosound speakers. The ones I order also have to go back.

So now I have to find a speaker that fits the NPD panels. I know, I should have ordered them with speakers. Can't send them back since I trimmed them. I went to a local, very good, car audio place and they ordered Hertz DCX 170.3's. Nice speakers but when I got home and looked at the specs, they are also too big. I brought my kick panel with me to the store and they still ordered speaker too big!!

At this point I see two options. I can keep my Retrosound speakers and order a surface mounted enclosure and mount them to my original panels and eat the cost of the NPD panels ($60). Or, does anyone know what speaker will fit into an NPD kick panel for a 1966 convertible?

66 Convertible, GT clone. 289 4V, C4. Springtime yellow with black top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:16 PM

What is the size of the hole? Go to Crutchfield, look up the size. With the kick panel installed put a tape measure in the speaker hole. Find the depth. Find a speaker with the correct size and depth.

...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. CI Aliminum Head, Holley 350,
Schneider 264/274 cam, Headers, Recurved DSII, MSD 6A, and a whole lotta other stuff!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65coupei6_2 View Post
What is the size of the hole? Go to Crutchfield, look up the size. With the kick panel installed put a tape measure in the speaker hole. Find the depth. Find a speaker with the correct size and depth.
I did that and came up with a Pioneer speaker that I can get at BestBuy. I THOUGHT if I brought the panel to a local expert, they would be able to do the same with a much better speaker. It will get done. I just can't manage to do things the easy way.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:18 PM

Well looking at the NPD site it says they are 6 1/2" Kenwood speakers. The ones in one of the pics look similar to these. https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KFC-1...ronics&sr=1-10

I'm going to need those for my 66 when the time comes hence why I am watching the thread.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:23 PM

Garage
I used the NPD panels with Alpine Type-R 6 1/2's. Added a 1/2" spacer and off we went.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcam84 View Post
Well looking at the NPD site it says they are 6 1/2" Kenwood speakers. The ones in one of the pics look similar to these. https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KFC-1...ronics&sr=1-10

I'm going to need those for my 66 when the time comes hence why I am watching the thread.
Both NPD and CJ's sell this kick panel and both say they hold 6 1/2" speakers so I should be able to find some. Just need to watch the depth of the speakers. I'll definitely keep the thread up to date with what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser012001 View Post
I used the NPD panels with Alpine Type-R 6 1/2's. Added a 1/2" spacer and off we went.
I'll check them out. Where did you get the spacer?

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:45 PM

I bought the kick panels with the speakers they came with, used them for a couple of years and just thought it had too much treble. I switched them out to some Kickers CSC65 and I like them. Pretty sure there are dozens and dozens of other speakers that would work well too and I am no audiophile. Good Luck.

1967 Mustang Convertible, 289-4v, C4, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Mild Cam.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:18 PM
Supporting Member

ophthos Hertz is a nice product for sure. So did the sound shop try the Hertz DCX 165.3 or the 160.3? Or was depth an issue? A simple spacer would be the solution.

1969 Mach 1 S code...2nd owner
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonr View Post
ophthos Hertz is a nice product for sure. So did the sound shop try the Hertz DCX 165.3 or the 160.3? Or was depth an issue? A simple spacer would be the solution.
They picked the 170.3's due to the depth. I'll ask about the others with a spacer when they come in.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ophthos View Post
I'll check them out. Where did you get the spacer?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a preference to the Type-R speakers but you can math out the install depth of any speaker and get a corresponding spacer to correct the depth. After that, it's sourcing the appropriately sized screws to mount it.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser012001 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a preference to the Type-R speakers but you can math out the install depth of any speaker and get a corresponding spacer to correct the depth. After that, it's sourcing the appropriately sized screws to mount it.
Do you have any issue with the speakers/spacers interfering with your left foot when working the clutch pedal? Can you still get to the high beam switch ok?

Any pics of the finished install?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophthos View Post
Bare with me ...
Only if I can keep my clothes on. . . A pretty young secretary sent me a note that started like that at work many years ago. Thank goodness I didn't respond with the first thing that came into my mind. . .
JSHarvey, DrHawkeye and ophthos like this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:37 AM
Dez

I went with the Pioneer BestBuy special as well. My entire stereo system cost about $110. Serviceable but still not es good as the system in my old MGB which was a Bose Mini Soundlink and my iPhone. At least the pioneer system is less attractive to thieves and it left me with more money to spend on different nonsense.

1967 Coupe, 289, AOD with Hurst V-Matic II shifter, Vintage Venom front disc brakes, Unisteer power rack and pinion, Full AAW wiring harness, Fitech fuel injection with in tank Holley returnless fuel pump, 1" lowering springs front and rear, Northern aluminum 24" radiator with clutch fan, Mid-80's Mustang SVO seats with Mach 1 style TMI covers.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reevescajr View Post
Only if I can keep my clothes on. . . A pretty young secretary sent me a note that started like that at work many years ago. Thank goodness I didn't respond with the first thing that came into my mind. . .
Well, many years ago you could have gotten away with it.

Dave
'68 GTCS
8R01J
C4/PS/PB/AC
2/8/1968
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin View Post
Do you have any issue with the speakers/spacers interfering with your left foot when working the clutch pedal? Can you still get to the high beam switch ok?

Any pics of the finished install?
Plenty of room for the clutch. I have the dimmer switch mounted kind of high but you can see that there's plenty of clearance regardless. The spacer looks a little 'donut-ish' but it does the job. I've never been too concerned about it since it's under the dash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page