Just when things were going good...... - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Just when things were going good......

I managed to complete the installations of the pulley, brackets, etc for the AC on the 65 Fastback I am working on.

Started it up and it ran perfect, all the belts straight spinning nicely everything looked great!

So I revved it up and BANG,!! Clank clank clank...

Ouch.....the fan started to wobble .....shut it down quick. And sure enough the fan moves back & forth..

Well crap. Tear it all down again......

The early 65 Aluminum water pump cracked letting the front bearings wobble. Dang thing was only 15 months old and just out of warrantee. Well at least they are inexpensive, and apparently cheaply made.

So skip a week and Iím putting it all together. Well crap again. The bottom two bolts are stripped.

They are the two at the bottom of the pump that screw into the aluminum timing chain cover. They are unique to the aluminum pumps.

They go through all the way through the timing chain cover. So can I try a longer bolt? How far can I go into the timing cover without worry about hitting the timing chain?

The other option is to pull out the radiator, condenser, etc, and put in helicoils......

Any thought??

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:41 PM

Garage
Ok, If I understand it all, since you're going to be replacing the water pump, can you not install Helicoils (or similar) in those bottom stripped holes, at that point?
Are the pumps these days that cheaply made, the snout is subject to break? Could the belt(s) have been too tight? BTW, are you using a torque wrench?

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:31 PM

Iíd go with helicoils. I had to repair a stripped threaded hole in one aluminium cylinder head where the P/S pump mounts. Itís a permanent fix.

I double stacked the helicoils to ensure correct thread depth.

If there are concerns about the drilling depth, cut a piece of tube a length that only allows the required drill depth, slip it over the drill bit and use it to prevent going too deep.
Huskinhano and Huntingky like this.

1967 289 Coupe - AOD, Edelbrock heads, Victor Jr, EZ-Efi, roller front suspension, S197 front brakes, 3.55 gears

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:23 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
When I built my race engine this winter, I had one tapped hole in the timing chain cover that was stripped. So I had the machine install helicoils in all of the tapped holes. No more worries.

Regards,
Patrick
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately I didnít find out the threads were stripped until every other blots was installed I was going around with the torque wrench and these were the last too to tighten

Rather than rip it all apart a plain, I tired 1/4Ē longer bolts. I was able to tighten them to 15ft lbs so I thiní I am good. I donít think they will protrude into the timing chain area too much.

Since mid 65 all of the Windsor blocks used cast iron water pumps. In early 65 Ford used an aluminum pump. Itís likely I over-tightened the alternator belt, but I never would have expected it to split like it did. Apparently the aluminum is pretty thin there.

Flade
66 200 coupe Blue

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Well crap times 2!

All our together, looks great, idles well, fan spins belts run straight, a little more belt slap that I like, when I really rev it, but didnít want to over tighten the belts this time...

10 mins later I rev it for a few seconds......it starts squealing.. I track it down....

You guessed it the front of the water Pump! WTF

I shut it down, and the fan wobbles again! Up and down this time, not side to side so it wasnít the alternator pulling too hard. It was just this crappy water pump design.

So has anyone recently used a 65 aluminum pump recently? Where did you get it? The first was from OíReillys, the second from Autozone, but they were identical from what I could tell.

NPD sells one, I wonder what brand it is.......

Other option move to the later cast Iron pump. Requires changing out the timing cover to the new style. What I donít know is if all the accessory mount the same

Flade
66 200 coupe Blue

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
WTF?!?? That's why the later Cast Iron ones are better...Not only that but they cool better too.

To me, I think maybe your belts were to tight and on an angle and putting too much pressure on the waterpump..

That really sucks!

I would go to SUMMIT and buy the best aftermarket aluminum pump that you can find.. then re-adjust all the belts... They don't need to be mother tight..

)

Tony K.
kenash likes this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:22 PM

Does your 65 FB have PS?

Im struggling with PS install on a 65 AC car.

My early Aug 64 (65 not 64.5) build 289 coupe has a cast iron WP, although I suspect it has a 66 block, at least the intake manifold is a C6.

Pics of your AC setup would be nice for reference.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flade View Post

So has anyone recently used a 65 aluminum pump recently? Where did you get it? The first was from OíReillys, the second from Autozone, but they were identical from what I could tell.
I'm using a flowkooler aluminum water pump and so far so good. It's a bit pricey, but considering the problems you're having, I'd have to say it's worth it.

Early 65
1998 5.0, fitech efi, holley in tank returnless pump
4R70W transmission with USShift quick 2 controller
3.00:1 8" open rear end
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

No power steering on this car. I added the A/C but used original brackets and hardware

Tony I think you are right, it was too tight the first time. But not the second. Seems to be these foreign made parts canít handle the drag and weight of the heavier clutch fan.

Thinking I have t go with the late 65 style iron pump and timing cover.

Flade
66 200 coupe Blue

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2me View Post
I'm using a flowkooler aluminum water pump and so far so good. It's a bit pricey, but considering the problems you're having, I'd have to say it's worth it.
Does you car have the early style timing cover made for the aluminum pump or the later style timing cover for cast iron pumps

Flade
66 200 coupe Blue

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:17 PM

It has the early style, same as on the original D code 289.

Early 65
1998 5.0, fitech efi, holley in tank returnless pump
4R70W transmission with USShift quick 2 controller
3.00:1 8" open rear end
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:22 PM

Couple of things come to mind. First, do you have a double belt on the waterpump that connects to a double down below. I actually run double belts with only an alternator. That way I can run the belts loose and save my expensive Edelbrock water pump.
I know you have AC what about power steering, could one of the accessories or alternator could have a bearing going creating too much drag e.g. bad pump or compressor.
Are any of the other pulleys out of round, could the rubber on your vibration damper have slipped?

You sure your belts are good, don't have any stiff parts or defects?
Unless your waterpump was defective, you have a problem that needs to be addressed.

Are you tightening your belts too much. Run them loose so they squeal a little then tighten them slightly.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
Couple of things come to mind. First, do you have a double belt on the waterpump that connects to a double down below. I actually run double belts with only an alternator. That way I can run the belts loose and save my expensive Edelbrock water pump.
I know you have AC what about power steering, could one of the accessories or alternator could have a bearing going creating too much drag e.g. bad pump or compressor.
Are any of the other pulleys out of round, could the rubber on your vibration damper have slipped?

You sure your belts are good, don't have any stiff parts or defects?
Unless your waterpump was defective, you have a problem that needs to be addressed.

Are you tightening your belts too much. Run them loose so they squeal a little then tighten them slightly.
Per the original Ford design, I switched to double belts for the alternator. The belts are brand new from NPD. All the pulleys are new. I hadnít thought about the balancer, but the timing reads good, and I donít see any vibration from it.

No power steering.

Flade
66 200 coupe Blue

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:56 PM

Garage
Oh gosh... that looks a lot like the one I just got. Now you have me worried Best of luck with your rebuild.

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page