Lock cylinder. - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By NEFaurora
  • 1 Post By 4ocious

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Lock cylinder.

I have watched everything on YouTube and other websites. There has to be a trick to get the lock cylinder back in the ignition switch. Anybody want to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:57 PM

Sure. The switch itself needs to be mounted in the dash. Next, take a screwdriver and turn the switch (where the key part installs) fully COUNTERCLOCKWISE. Now get the key cylinder, key and a paper clip. Put the key in the cylinder, hold the housing, and turn the key counterclockwise. See that little hole in the in the face of the assembly, take the paper clip, insert it in that small hole and push, you can now turn the key even further counterclockwise. Once done, put the key in the switch, should go all the way now, and just turn it to the right. Installed.

If you do this without the switch installed in the dash you will be removing the key and doing it again........

That's for years 64.5 to 69. 1970 and on require more work.

69 Mach One, 428CJ, 5 Speed, 3.91's.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. I finally got it. I wasn’t holding my mouth right.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 02:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Adtrivett, Please also fill in your town and location in your profile.

Thanks!

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

I think i filled everything out. Let me know if there is something else.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I spent half a day today doing the same thing. I am replacing the ignition and both door cylinders with a cheap kit I got from &*%&* I finally figured out you have to turn the new cylinder counter clock wise like was described earlier. However when I do that with this new cylinder it fits into the switch housing OK but will not turn back clockwise. What I see is that little spring-loaded pin behind the ring goes into a cup shaped divot on the back side of the ring. That cup is supposed to have enough of a slant that when you rotate the cylinder clockwise it causes the pin to push back in until it goes over the spot where the little hole lines up with it and into another divot. This new cylinder does not have a sufficient enough slant to the edge of the divot so the pin will not push in. Once I figured out how to do it I was able to get the old cylinder to go back in just fine. So now I have a dilemma. If I get another matching kit I will have to replace the door locks again and that was no cake walk either. Or maybe I can have a lock smith re-key my old ignition cylinder to match the new door locks. I guess the old adage you get what you pay for applies here.

I am neither a fast mechanic nor a slow mechanic. I am a half-fast mechanic.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 04:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
It still shocks me even today with how many people have this problem...but I guess if you don't know...then you don't know...

Here's a video for any "newbies"...

)

Tony K.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 06:09 AM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I spent half a day today doing the same thing. I am replacing the ignition and both door cylinders with a cheap kit I got from &*%&*. What I see is that little spring-loaded pin behind the ring goes into a cup shaped divot on the back side of the ring. That cup is supposed to have enough of a slant that when you rotate the cylinder clockwise it causes the pin to push back in until it goes over the spot where the little hole lines up with it and into another divot. This new cylinder does not have a sufficient enough slant to the edge of the divot so the pin will not push in.
Finally. I've mentioned this here at VMF at least twice before but it fell on deaf ears and I'm sure other members thought I just didn't know the correct procedure. Some of these repop ignition cylinders being sold (by multiple vendors) have a manufacturing defect just as you described. The one's I first noticed this on were branded from Scott Drake. I said this then and I'll say it now; You can install them and they will work just fine and you will never know there's a problem until you try to take them back out at some point. Repop ignition key cylinders should be checked to be sure the release mechanism works before installing them.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

Last edited by 4ocious; Today at 06:19 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 07:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch View Post
Or maybe I can have a lock smith re-key my old ignition cylinder to match the new door locks. I guess the old adage you get what you pay for applies here.
If you're careful with it you can rekey your old ignition cylinder yourself. There's not that much to it.

Look at the cylinder and you'll see a metal cover crimped down on one side. Under that is a few holes containing different lengths of little rods and a spring. You just need to take those out of the new cylinder an put them in the old one.

You do need to be careful with it though. Make sure you keep them in the same order they came out and in the same position they were in. Put them in the old cylinder, crimp that metal top back on and you should be good to go.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 08:46 AM

I'm leary of doing anything with the old cylinder as it still works. What I am going to try today is to see if I can grind down the edge of that divot on the new one so the pin will push back in on it's own. If so then I can use the new one and all locks will match.

I am neither a fast mechanic nor a slow mechanic. I am a half-fast mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in