Heater Box Removal - Vintage Mustang Forums
 15Likes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Heater Box Removal

I will be installing A/C in my '66 coupe that is a non A/C car. I thought that I would go ahead before that and remove the heater box to put new seals, clean up, etc. before covering it up with the Evaporator.

In reading instructions and looking at my heater box, I've got a couple of questions on the attached photos.

First, are the hoses correct? I believe that they were replacements and not original factory.

Second, is that some factory sealer around the portion of the unit that protrudes into the engine compartment and how do I properly dislodge it? and what is it so I can put it back they it's suppose to go. (Well 3 questions I guess)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7635.jpg (327.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7634.jpg (391.3 KB, 17 views)

You never know until you ask.

2nd owner 1966 Mustang Coupe V8.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:09 PM

That's undercoating. It could have been put on by the dealer when sold new or any time after that. Just use a putty knife or what ever to clean it up enough to remove. Yes those are replacement hoses. Install new ones with the heater box. They should be replaced periodically.

I'd suggest while you have everything apart do yourself a favor and service the fan motor. You will need a Allen wrench set to remove the fan. On the other end IIRC a 11/32 socket to remove the end Bell on the motor. Don't worry nothing is going to pop out. It's just a shell held on by the two nuts. Oil both ends of the motor bearings. It makes a difference.
DonP, 66ryan, P-51 and 1 others like this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:23 PM

In addition to @Huskinhano 's good advice (as normal), I'd suggest replacing the heater core unless that's been done recently. Nothing worse that ruining a perfectly good carpet because the core decided it was finished with this life. Also check on the heater and cowl seals and replace them if you deem it necessary. It's such a pain to drop that heater box that basic restoration is a good idea anytime you do it. It's not fancy and it doesn't show, but the peace of mind having done that work is worth it in my opinion.

As for your questions: completely agree that the hoses should just be replaced. I'm a little suspect of that substance on the firewall. It does look like undercoating, but it's not evenly coating the firewall. I'm wondering if that was laid down to cover something up. Once again I agree with Tom that you should scrape it off. I'm hoping a previous owner used it to seal the heater and hoses (which isn't a good way to do that, but whatever). If you get down to bare metal make sure you treat the metal with new primer / paint so it doesn't rust.
Huskinhano, P-51 and myfirstcar66 like this.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:32 AM

Garage
Best heater box rebuild kit is the one made by Daniel Carpenter Reproductions and is available from NPD and some other suppliers. Use quality Motorcraft, Gates, or Dayco hoses for frequently driven cars and maybe the original type ribbed, or white or yellow stripe reproduction hose for the restored ride. Use top quality worm type stainless band clamps for the inside hose application and clock them so they could be removed easily from underneath if needed in the future without having to take the whole box out.

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

Last edited by myfirstcar66; 08-10-2019 at 01:13 AM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:55 AM

Recommend you remove the glove box prior to the heater. It’s the best way to get to the hard to reach top mount on the heater box.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:29 AM

Some videos that helped me when I replaced my heater core and refurbished my heater box on a 1968 coupe w/factory AC.

68Ghost and ophthos like this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:42 AM

Unless your plan is to install an oem style under dash A/C system the heater box will get removed and replaced with new stuff. Just one guys opinion here but unless the original look of the factory A/C is important to you, I feel the more modern underdash A/C systems are far better.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:20 AM

That's undercoating. It could have been put on by the dealer when sold new or any time after that. Just use a putty knife or what ever to clean it up enough to remove. Yes those are replacement hoses.

agree on the hoses. but that is factory applied sealer not undercoating. all cars received a healthy dose on the firewall. some more than others. all items protruding thru firewall were supposed to get sealed. undercoating is a product applied at the dealer or aftermarket level usually on the underside only. spray can 3M can be used for replacement.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
The Original Undercoating breaks/cracks easily....You just have to push on it....

"First, are the hoses correct?"

No they are not. Not even close.

Correctly, ALL "Factory" A/C equipped Mustangs 1964.5 thru 1968 had either One hose Black with a White Stripe, and the other hose was Black with a Yellow Stripe.....Or Both 2 Hoses were Black with Yellow Stripes. You'd have to check Year, Plant and time Period for correctness on the colors.

ALL NON-A/C cars from 1964.5 thru 1968 had both hoses Black with White Stripes.

To buy the correct hoses, You can buy them from Kevin Marti's website "Marti Autoworks", or you can buy them thru NPD which also carries them as well. While you are there buying the hoses, Buy the correct WITTEK Factory correct hose clamps as well. They sell them in kits. Both Marti and NPD carry those as well.

)

Tony K.
markb0729 likes this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; 08-03-2019 at 11:03 AM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:18 AM

When I rebuilt my heater box I took out the passenger seat. The extra room to work was a godsend. Also if you desire, when buttoning up the installation, put some black 3M strip caulk around the heater hoses where they enter the firewall to seal it up. This was done at the factory.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to c6fastback
Don't forget to reach up into the cowl and clean out whatever pine needles or
stuff that made its way in over the years .
66ryan likes this.

68 302-4V w/1.84",1.54" ported , Comp XE268H , 2200 rpm Hughes converter, 3.25 9" w/10x2.5" shoes , MSD box/distrib , RPM intake , 670 Holley , cross flow aluminum radiator , Granada discs......

Michael S.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for passing on some knowledge. Now I'm going to replace everything in the box as well as the heater core. But having decided all of this ahead of pulling the box, I was doing some scraping under the hood on the firewall and then some more looking. And then it hit me as I was looking at the heater hoses. They aren't hooked up and there is a hose looped. So I am assuming that the heater core definitely needs replacing as I'm assuming that it leaks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7639.jpg (496.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7641.jpg (475.7 KB, 9 views)

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:38 PM

While you are there ordering a new Daniel Carpenter Heater Box "Re-Seal" Kit. Don't to forget order the Heater Box Heater Core "End Caps". Everyone always forgets them...(100 People right now are going...What End Caps?!??) and they are an essential part!! They keep your Heater core from banging around!..while you drive around!

See below:

1965-1968 without Factory A/C:

65-68 HEATER CORE FOAM END CAPS SET OF 2

1967-1968 with Factory A/C:

67-68 HEATER CORE FOAM END CAPS SET 0F 2 - USE WITH FACTORY AC

)

Tony K.
markb0729 likes this.

Tony Kovar

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
MCA#70001

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:47 AM

"So I am assuming that the heater core definitely needs replacing as I'm assuming that it leaks. "

I'd say that's a fair assumption!

Here is a Heater Hose Routing "Flow" chart to help everyone out....so there's no confusion.....

)

Tony K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6567Hoserouting.jpg (91.5 KB, 16 views)
myfirstcar66 likes this.

Tony Kovar

MCA#70001

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
"So I am assuming that the heater core definitely needs replacing as I'm assuming that it leaks. "

I'd say that's a fair assumption!

Here is a Heater Hose Routing "Flow" chart to help everyone out....so there's no confusion.....

)

Tony K.
Thanks for the diagram, that helps a lot when trying to learn.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page