Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Need Advice on 66 Mustang - Keep stock?

7K views 62 replies 30 participants last post by  craigsa 
#1 ·
I found a really good deal on a 66 coupe that I couldn’t pass up. I bought it on craigslist a couple of states away and just brought it home recently. After checking further into the VIN and door plate info, I am realizing this car is pretty much stock. It is a 3 speed manual with the 200 inline 6 cyl. Still has original red interior. Still has the stock wheels/hubcaps. Hell I think the floor mats are even original (yes it’s all old and has a good musty smell :)

Here is the info from the door plate:

Body - 65A (coupe w/ standard interior)
Color - T (candy apple red)
Trim - 25 (dark red w/ red trim)
Date - 08M (8th day of December)
DSO - 71 (Los Angeles)
Axle - 3 (3.20:1 standard differential) - an upgraded gear ratio that come with manual transmissions
Trans - 1 (3 speed manual)

Everything from that door plate still aligns exactly to what this stang currently is and has.

So now my dilemma is I’m afraid to do anything to it! The paint is already good and it passes the 10 foot rule. Had plans to upgrade wheels and tires and put in a new interior. Was thinking about a new front suspension upgrade for disc brakes and power steering. But now I’m not sure if I should even change a thing!

I know there are some pure stock enthusiasts out there and values may perhaps be higher by not changing anything. But I also know others say just do whatever you want to it to put a smile on your face. I would love some feedback here.

I’m guessing some interior upgrades (carpet, upholstery, headliner, dash pad, door panels, chrome trim, etc) can’t hurt and doesn’t affect “stock value.....or does it? What about wheels? Front suspension upgrades?

My understanding is that to keep stock you don’t want to change anything with original motor and tranny. Does it hurt to change anything else? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback and advice. I’m just not sure how to move forward!

See less See more
#3 ·
IMHO I think the only reason to keep it Stock is if the 67 Coupe with the 200ci has documented low miles, ie 30k or less. Other reasons of course if its a rare Mustang like a Shelby or some other notable rarity. But if its like most of our cars with over 100k miles then I see no reason to not modify it. There where over 500k of these cars produced.

#4 ·
well- yes and no- you could change it- will it affect value- not really-

Its a 6 cyl coupe- thats the limiting factor- all stock but no special history makes it worth somewhere from 3500 to 11K (around here and IMHO) so from pretty rough to super nice- its not a great deal of difference. Hence why so many coupes get converted-
Now changing a 6 to an 8 isn't cheap either but done right- you can get 10 to 15 ish depending on quality of work- so you don't hurt it much

A v 8 car is more like 5 to 15- but are usually in slightly worse shape- dollar for dollar-

All values are relative and to my area (NC) and are more to give you the idea of value- so you can convert or not

Now if it was a FB or Vert or K code - those I really would be very careful (or at least tasteful) with your mods- lest you get devalued-

#14 ·
well- yes and no- you could change it- will it affect value- not really-

Its a 6 cyl coupe- thats the limiting factor- all stock but no special history makes it worth somewhere from 3500 to 11K (around here and IMHO) so from pretty rough to super nice- its not a great deal of difference. Hence why so many coupes get converted-

Now changing a 6 to an 8 isn't cheap either but done right- you can get 10 to 15 ish depending on quality of work- so you don't hurt it much

A v 8 car is more like 5 to 15- but are usually in slightly worse shape- dollar for dollar-

All values are relative and to my area (NC) and are more to give you the idea of value- so you can convert or not

Now if it was a FB or Vert or K code - those I really would be very careful (or at least tasteful) with your mods- lest you get devalued-

Really good feedback, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Just a few random thoughts in no particular order...

* Don't fall for the "well, if you are going to DRIVE it, then you need to do this, that, and this, and that, and...". The cars drive just dandy bone-stock, assuming that everything is still put together properly and not cobbled up or shagged out.

* Which brings me to the second point... How well do you think it drives right now?? I've got an extremely low-mile (1,300 original) T-code 3-speed coupe, and I find it to be a total kick to drive. Very "elemental", and the little 200 has just enough torque to make you laugh.

* That said, there's nothing really hurt or devalued in modding this car.. You can do as you please, as you see fit...

* I like things that are reversible, and I like to keep original parts. But with a T-code, it's not mission-critical.

The real question here is, do you enjoy the car the way it is?? Does it drive nice and tight and rattle-free? Don't fall into the trap that you've gotta upgrade everything "just because"... Only do it if you're seeking to improve or change some aspect that you're not satisfied with. And aesthetically, if there's a bunch of original stuff there, but it's umm... Seen better days.... Then I wouldn't hesitate freshening things up. For me, originality is only a concern when the original stuff is still quite nice. Once it's turned the corner, I'm not that romantic.

Congratulations!!

#15 ·
Just a few random thoughts in no particular order...

* Don't fall for the "well, if you are going to DRIVE it, then you need to do this, that, and this, and that, and...". The cars drive just dandy bone-stock, assuming that everything is still put together properly and not cobbled up or shagged out.

* Which brings me to the second point... How well do you think it drives right now?? I've got an extremely low-mile (1,300 original) T-code 3-speed coupe, and I find it to be a total kick to drive. Very "elemental", and the little 200 has just enough torque to make you laugh.

* That said, there's nothing really hurt or devalued in modding this car.. You can do as you please, as you see fit...

* I like things that are reversible, and I like to keep original parts. But with a T-code, it's not mission-critical.

The real question here is, do you enjoy the car the way it is?? Does it drive nice and tight and rattle-free? Don't fall into the trap that you've gotta upgrade everything "just because"... Only do it if you're seeking to improve or change some aspect that you're not satisfied with. And aesthetically, if there's a bunch of original stuff there, but it's umm... Seen better days.... Then I wouldn't hesitate freshening things up. For me, originality is only a concern when the original stuff is still quite nice. Once it's turned the corner, I'm not that romantic.

Congratulations!!

Thanks for the feedback. Good advice!

#6 ·
It would be nice to hear where and how much(ballpark) so we can all keep up with what is a deal or not.:)
Great colors for value at least.
You're about to get the flood of "it's just an I6 so it doesnt matter what you do."
Unless its to the shabby stage of distraction then doing nothing might be the best bet. Once you start putting new stuff on it might stick out like a diamond in a goats butt and might not really add a dollar in the next guys eyes. Same with suspension and brakes- the most value might be in perfecting what it should be yet once stuff needs replacing some upgrades are all around value and drive ability pluses.
But ya, if the seams are coming apart or otherwise threadbare then new stuff won't hurt. Toss he dash with any cracks. Carpet can be spray dyed for a refresh as good as replacement. The trim and such once removed and polished, maybe fresh black paint in the right spots will look better and more appropriate than new stuff.
Then again on a lower value car "the story" might add 25% to it and they are only original once. its can be a fine line between well worn patina and ratty.

#16 ·
It would be nice to hear where and how much(ballpark) so we can all keep up with what is a deal or not.:)

Great colors for value at least.

You're about to get the flood of "it's just an I6 so it doesnt matter what you do."

Unless its to the shabby stage of distraction then doing nothing might be the best bet. Once you start putting new stuff on it might stick out like a diamond in a goats butt and might not really add a dollar in the next guys eyes. Same with suspension and brakes- the most value might be in perfecting what it should be yet once stuff needs replacing some upgrades are all around value and drive ability pluses.

But ya, if the seams are coming apart or otherwise threadbare then new stuff won't hurt. Toss he dash with any cracks. Carpet can be spray dyed for a refresh as good as replacement. The trim and such once removed and polished, maybe fresh black paint in the right spots will look better and more appropriate than new stuff.

Then again on a lower value car "the story" might add 25% to it and they are only original once. its can be a fine line between well worn patina and ratty.

Found it in MN and paid 6k. Thanks for the feedback!

#7 ·
Need some pics of the car to make a determination! Please Post!

:eek:)

Tony K.

#8 ·
Ask yourself why did you buy it? Since you were already considering new wheels my guess is you had plans to modify it a bit anyway. Go for it, it is yours and making into what you want is the most important factor.

(And to play to the stereotypes/predictions above - it is a 6 cylinder three speed coupe, on the mustang value chain that car is at the very bottom of the totem pole, any upgrade you do is unlikely to hurt its value.)

Reactions: MTMustangGuy
#9 ·
While some have appreciation for 6cyl Mustangs, the fact is they made a boat load of them (a really big boat load). There are plenty of good examples out there. Unless yours was the first or last one built in 1966, I say do with it what you want.

My car was born a Tahoe Turquoise i6. It had a 289 in it when I bought it in 1983. I completed the V8 conversion and have never looked back. I am happy to have a car that I do not worry myself modifying to my desires.

#11 ·
Congratulations with your purchase. As other mentioned, photos will provide a better context. Unless the vehicle is in mint condition or has some special place in history or assembly line number, I'd say do what makes you happy. It's a T code coupe, make the mods that put a smile on your face and enjoy it on the road.

#19 ·
We can’t answer this for you. There’s no rarity or specialness about the car you have described, which means there’s really no practical/value reason not to modify it.

I’ve owned a bone stock 65 6cyl that I loved, and my highly modified 66 V8.

If I we’re in your shoes now, I would upgrade brakes and suspension, because safety and because suspension makes such a difference in driving enjoyment.

I’m sure I would eventually throw an Explorer engine and T5 at it, but I would have fun as a six for a while. Maybe.

#20 ·
Whoa!

Sweet Ride!! Sweet Deal!!

Don't change a thing!!! Timecapsule on wheels!

Congrats!

Tony K.

Attachments

#21 ·
Fix the stock stuff first (brakes, suspension, steering) if needed (worn, loose, etc.) If you want to dip a toe in slowly, Arning drop, roller perches and roller idler arm. Those make some quick seat of the pants improvements that don't really change anything should you want to go back to stock.....except 4 extra holes in the shock towers. Then it's up to you from there. I started with a 65 six back in 1974 and remember getting upper 20s mpg going to Myrtle Beach for the summer. Let us know and keep the pictures coming....

#24 ·
Nice looking car.

Some things to consider: It looks like the radio opening has already been compromised. Seat covers look new. Door sills look like the exterior was painted. Bottom line, it looks like a nice partially restored Mustang. If you want a nice looking grocery getter leave it as is. If you want a car to give you a performance car thrill with a vintage look, it looks like a nice platform for that as well. I don't think you can make a wrong decision. The car will work for whatever you want to do without much impact to value.

#25 ·
The 200 is a fine engine.

I would put correct carpet in it.

Check to make sure the carb matches the distributor. Frequently one was changed with an incorrect and incompatible unit.

65-67 six cylinder Mustangs had a spark control valve on the carb and a load-o-matic distributor. If you have one, you have to have the other.

If you dont know the difference, google is your friend.

#26 ·
The 200 is a fine engine.

I would put correct carpet in it.

Check to make sure the carb matches the distributor. Frequently one was changed with an incorrect and incompatible unit.

65-67 six cylinder Mustangs had a spark control valve on the carb and a load-o-matic distributor. If you have one, you have to have the other.

If you dont know the difference, google is your friend.

Thanks for the info. Yea I don’t like this carpet either. I’ll update that. He had the driver seat reupholstered as well but the others are original (and pretty worn)

#27 ·
Beautiful car! I'd just detail it and drive it! Presents well as a "survivor."

Then again, if you've always wanted a restomod classic Mustang, there's nothing inherently special about it that would cause you to devalue it by improving safety and performance elements. Actually, you might even increase it's value; not that you'd get back what you put into it, but you definitely have a solid foundation to start from.

#28 ·
Beautiful car! I'd just detail it and drive it! Presents well as a "survivor."

Then again, if you've always wanted a restomod classic Mustang, there's nothing inherently special about it that would cause you to devalue it by improving safety and performance elements. Actually, you might even increase it's value; not that you'd get back what you put into it, but you definitely have a solid foundation to start from.

Thanks for the kind words and feedback!

#31 ·
I found my '66 coupe pretty unmolested, I put in a new clutch, redid all the drum brakes and added a dual bowl master cylinder for safety reasons. I got some aftermarket wheels and tires I'm out there driving it, I'm not even gonna take out the AM radio because all the wiring under the dash seems untouched.

Yours looks great, I'd drive it and enjoy!

roog

#33 ·
I found my '66 coupe pretty unmolested, I put in a new clutch, redid all the drum brakes and added a dual bowl master cylinder for safety reasons. I got some aftermarket wheels and tires I'm out there driving it, I'm not even gonna take out the AM radio because all the wiring under the dash seems untouched.

Yours looks great, I'd drive it and enjoy!

roog

Sounds awesome with some good and smart updates! Thanks for the kind words!

#34 ·
My thoughts,......
Don't rush to judgement or mods. Just enjoy it, drive it, don't replace just because it's old. There is a "bunch" to be said for a "survivor". It's so refreshing to see these examples at cruise or show. That is, a Mustang that's original in many many ways.
Make it safe, check the steering, the brakes, the tires. Check the maintenance, lubricate and grease all of the vital areas, change the oil and keep records.

#35 ·
If you do change anything on the car, I would put back the Original carpeting..with some new 1966 Red ACC Carpeting from NPD...but that's all...Easy project....and well worth while.. You'll be the envy of local car shows when done..

You have one sweet stock ride there sir. The Original Radio Portal has been slightly enlarged but tastefully done. No harm done on this ride. I think the radio is from same period or Early 70's Volkswagen Beetle?!?? It looks damn familiar. Need a close-up pic of the radio...

All rest of the car looks 100% 1966 Stock. Nice Time Capsule.

Curious, What items are still in the trunk?!?? I'm wondering what items are still in there... Show us some pics of the trunk and what's in there and pics of the engine compartment... Thanks!

Tony K.

#36 ·
1. I like it, for whatever that's worth...

2. It's only "original" once and, except for the carpet, it would seem a shame to change anything.

3. If I wanted a "restomod" Mustang I'd pick something a little further from "original" to start with.

4. If I lived in a climate where I could drive it year round it would be my daily driver!

#39 ·
I agree with others, looks like you got a good deal on a clean little car...

Yes, that carpet needs swapped-out, and I'd invest in a new pair of sill plates and fasteners while I was at it (the ones on the car are BEAT).

It appears that, at a minimum (because it's the only seat I can see), your drivers seat upholstery has been replaced. So that's not original, just FYI..

And looking at your door jamb, she's been repainted.

So it's not as if you've got some sort of virgin time capsule on your hands that you'd be "defying the car gods" if you fiddled with it. BUT.. It does appear that you got a clean, and mostly stock, little coupe for a great price.

Enjoy!!

#43 ·
I agree with others, looks like you got a good deal on a clean little car...

Yes, that carpet needs swapped-out, and I'd invest in a new pair of sill plates and fasteners while I was at it (the ones on the car are BEAT).

It appears that, at a minimum (because it's the only seat I can see), your drivers seat upholstery has been replaced. So that's not original, just FYI..

And looking at your door jamb, she's been repainted.

So it's not as if you've got some sort of virgin time capsule on your hands that you'd be "defying the car gods" if you fiddled with it. BUT.. It does appear that you got a clean, and mostly stock, little coupe for a great price.

Enjoy!!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes that’s why I said it’s “pretty much stock” as it has been repainted and that driver seat was reupholstered. That’s why I was asking what a guy can do to the car without taking away from originality. I’d like to do the whole interior (keep it in the original red) but I wasn’t sure if that’s going against stock rules

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.