Need Advice on 66 Mustang - Keep stock? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 49Likes

post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Need Advice on 66 Mustang - Keep stock?

I found a really good deal on a 66 coupe that I couldnít pass up. I bought it on craigslist a couple of states away and just brought it home recently. After checking further into the VIN and door plate info, I am realizing this car is pretty much stock. It is a 3 speed manual with the 200 inline 6 cyl. Still has original red interior. Still has the stock wheels/hubcaps. Hell I think the floor mats are even original (yes itís all old and has a good musty smell

Here is the info from the door plate:

Body - 65A (coupe w/ standard interior)
Color - T (candy apple red)
Trim - 25 (dark red w/ red trim)
Date - 08M (8th day of December)
DSO - 71 (Los Angeles)
Axle - 3 (3.20:1 standard differential) - an upgraded gear ratio that come with manual transmissions
Trans - 1 (3 speed manual)

Everything from that door plate still aligns exactly to what this stang currently is and has.

So now my dilemma is Iím afraid to do anything to it! The paint is already good and it passes the 10 foot rule. Had plans to upgrade wheels and tires and put in a new interior. Was thinking about a new front suspension upgrade for disc brakes and power steering. But now Iím not sure if I should even change a thing!

I know there are some pure stock enthusiasts out there and values may perhaps be higher by not changing anything. But I also know others say just do whatever you want to it to put a smile on your face. I would love some feedback here.

Iím guessing some interior upgrades (carpet, upholstery, headliner, dash pad, door panels, chrome trim, etc) canít hurt and doesnít affect ďstock value.....or does it? What about wheels? Front suspension upgrades?

My understanding is that to keep stock you donít want to change anything with original motor and tranny. Does it hurt to change anything else? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback and advice. Iím just not sure how to move forward!
95CobraR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:46 PM

Pictures would help...

Driving a stock Mustang is like driving a sofa. I'm Real Good at driving sofas!
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:50 PM

IMHO I think the only reason to keep it Stock is if the 67 Coupe with the 200ci has documented low miles, ie 30k or less. Other reasons of course if its a rare Mustang like a Shelby or some other notable rarity. But if its like most of our cars with over 100k miles then I see no reason to not modify it. There where over 500k of these cars produced.
Huskinhano and MTMustangGuy like this.

1967 Mustang Convertible, 289-4v, C4, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Mild Cam.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:51 PM

well- yes and no- you could change it- will it affect value- not really-

Its a 6 cyl coupe- thats the limiting factor- all stock but no special history makes it worth somewhere from 3500 to 11K (around here and IMHO) so from pretty rough to super nice- its not a great deal of difference. Hence why so many coupes get converted-
Now changing a 6 to an 8 isn't cheap either but done right- you can get 10 to 15 ish depending on quality of work- so you don't hurt it much

A v 8 car is more like 5 to 15- but are usually in slightly worse shape- dollar for dollar-

All values are relative and to my area (NC) and are more to give you the idea of value- so you can convert or not

Now if it was a FB or Vert or K code - those I really would be very careful (or at least tasteful) with your mods- lest you get devalued-
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:52 PM
Supporting Vendor

Just a few random thoughts in no particular order...

* Don't fall for the "well, if you are going to DRIVE it, then you need to do this, that, and this, and that, and...". The cars drive just dandy bone-stock, assuming that everything is still put together properly and not cobbled up or shagged out.

* Which brings me to the second point... How well do you think it drives right now?? I've got an extremely low-mile (1,300 original) T-code 3-speed coupe, and I find it to be a total kick to drive. Very "elemental", and the little 200 has just enough torque to make you laugh.

* That said, there's nothing really hurt or devalued in modding this car.. You can do as you please, as you see fit...

* I like things that are reversible, and I like to keep original parts. But with a T-code, it's not mission-critical.

The real question here is, do you enjoy the car the way it is?? Does it drive nice and tight and rattle-free? Don't fall into the trap that you've gotta upgrade everything "just because"... Only do it if you're seeking to improve or change some aspect that you're not satisfied with. And aesthetically, if there's a bunch of original stuff there, but it's umm... Seen better days.... Then I wouldn't hesitate freshening things up. For me, originality is only a concern when the original stuff is still quite nice. Once it's turned the corner, I'm not that romantic.

Congratulations!!
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:55 PM

It would be nice to hear where and how much(ballpark) so we can all keep up with what is a deal or not.
Great colors for value at least.
You're about to get the flood of "it's just an I6 so it doesnt matter what you do."
Unless its to the shabby stage of distraction then doing nothing might be the best bet. Once you start putting new stuff on it might stick out like a diamond in a goats butt and might not really add a dollar in the next guys eyes. Same with suspension and brakes- the most value might be in perfecting what it should be yet once stuff needs replacing some upgrades are all around value and drive ability pluses.
But ya, if the seams are coming apart or otherwise threadbare then new stuff won't hurt. Toss he dash with any cracks. Carpet can be spray dyed for a refresh as good as replacement. The trim and such once removed and polished, maybe fresh black paint in the right spots will look better and more appropriate than new stuff.
Then again on a lower value car "the story" might add 25% to it and they are only original once. its can be a fine line between well worn patina and ratty.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Need some pics of the car to make a determination! Please Post!

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:21 PM

Garage
Ask yourself why did you buy it? Since you were already considering new wheels my guess is you had plans to modify it a bit anyway. Go for it, it is yours and making into what you want is the most important factor.

(And to play to the stereotypes/predictions above - it is a 6 cylinder three speed coupe, on the mustang value chain that car is at the very bottom of the totem pole, any upgrade you do is unlikely to hurt its value.)
MTMustangGuy likes this.

5R08A, "298"(+.060, 6,000+ rpm), Dual Ex, T-10, FITech FI, Crane XR-i Ignition, Front Discs, Heim Jointed Struts, Spherical Bearing LCAs, Roller Perches, Arning Drop, 1" & 3/4" Anti-Sway Bars, Export & Monte Carlo, and GW Subframes.
Victory Red, Hood Scoop, Eagle 192 Wheels, Power Antenna, Factory Style Luggage Rack, Glass Rear Window, White Int. w/ Black trim, Right & *Left* Turn Indicators, Rally Pac Style Voltmeter & Tachometer, Cruise Control.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:25 PM

While some have appreciation for 6cyl Mustangs, the fact is they made a boat load of them (a really big boat load). There are plenty of good examples out there. Unless yours was the first or last one built in 1966, I say do with it what you want.

My car was born a Tahoe Turquoise i6. It had a 289 in it when I bought it in 1983. I completed the V8 conversion and have never looked back. I am happy to have a car that I do not worry myself modifying to my desires.
MTMustangGuy likes this.

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel

post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Welcome to the board
MTMustangGuy likes this.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:35 PM

Garage
Congratulations with your purchase. As other mentioned, photos will provide a better context. Unless the vehicle is in mint condition or has some special place in history or assembly line number, I'd say do what makes you happy. It's a T code coupe, make the mods that put a smile on your face and enjoy it on the road.
MTMustangGuy likes this.
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66conv6 View Post
Pictures would help...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Need some pics of the car to make a determination! Please Post!

)

Tony K.

post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzahm View Post
well- yes and no- you could change it- will it affect value- not really-

Its a 6 cyl coupe- thats the limiting factor- all stock but no special history makes it worth somewhere from 3500 to 11K (around here and IMHO) so from pretty rough to super nice- its not a great deal of difference. Hence why so many coupes get converted-

Now changing a 6 to an 8 isn't cheap either but done right- you can get 10 to 15 ish depending on quality of work- so you don't hurt it much

A v 8 car is more like 5 to 15- but are usually in slightly worse shape- dollar for dollar-

All values are relative and to my area (NC) and are more to give you the idea of value- so you can convert or not

Now if it was a FB or Vert or K code - those I really would be very careful (or at least tasteful) with your mods- lest you get devalued-

Really good feedback, thank you!

post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
Just a few random thoughts in no particular order...

* Don't fall for the "well, if you are going to DRIVE it, then you need to do this, that, and this, and that, and...". The cars drive just dandy bone-stock, assuming that everything is still put together properly and not cobbled up or shagged out.

* Which brings me to the second point... How well do you think it drives right now?? I've got an extremely low-mile (1,300 original) T-code 3-speed coupe, and I find it to be a total kick to drive. Very "elemental", and the little 200 has just enough torque to make you laugh.

* That said, there's nothing really hurt or devalued in modding this car.. You can do as you please, as you see fit...

* I like things that are reversible, and I like to keep original parts. But with a T-code, it's not mission-critical.

The real question here is, do you enjoy the car the way it is?? Does it drive nice and tight and rattle-free? Don't fall into the trap that you've gotta upgrade everything "just because"... Only do it if you're seeking to improve or change some aspect that you're not satisfied with. And aesthetically, if there's a bunch of original stuff there, but it's umm... Seen better days.... Then I wouldn't hesitate freshening things up. For me, originality is only a concern when the original stuff is still quite nice. Once it's turned the corner, I'm not that romantic.

Congratulations!!

Thanks for the feedback. Good advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page