Location of fan sensor? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Location of fan sensor?

I have a threaded plug on my thermostat housing... good or bad place for an electric fan temp sensor? My 66, which has a 302 in it, has an Edelbrock Performer intake - there are only 2 ports on the front, one I am using for the engine temp sensor, the other is one of the heater hoses. So, I'm trying to figure on a place for my new electric fan sensor.... I've seen some pics on the 'net where others have used this for their fan sensor, wanted to see what my VMF brothers have to say.... I have no ports on the radiator, neither on the top or bottom. The radiator/fan manufacturer says top/front of the motor. I haven't gotten an answer about the thermostat housing from them yet. I'm using this setup:
1964 - 1966 Mustang Aluminum Radiator 3300 CFM FAN AND ALUMINUM SHROUD
When I bought the radiator they didn't have the fan configuration, so when I went to their page to point another Mustanger to their radiators, I noticed they now pair them up with fans. I called and got a matching fan ordered, now wanting to hook it up of course!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:15 PM

I don't see why not. It won't get much heat there until the thermostat opens, but you won't need the fan until the engine warms up anyway. I say go for it.
rhutt, dh_66_fastback and awhtx like this.

Early 65
1998 5.0, fitech efi, holley in tank returnless pump
4R70W transmission with USShift quick 2 controller
3.00:1 8" open rear end
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:47 PM

That's were I have mine. It works fine.
DrVett likes this.

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66coupe289 View Post
That's were I have mine. It works fine.

Could I beg a pic? I'd love to see how it looks, but also how you routed your wiring...
Thanks!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:11 PM

Garage
That is where I am putting the sensor for my electric cooling fans.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:51 PM

Since I've had two sensors fail I eschew them. Plus its nice to be able to turn the fan off when you want to listen to other things.
I have my extra gauge sensor there and though it lags slightly at first once its up to temp and since I have a small hole in the t-stat it is always in the hottest water. Having the sensor in the t-stat house isn't a horrible idea as long as its all run off a switched relay so that the fan doesn't keep going long after the engine is shut off.
I let my fan run a bit after shut down thinking that its still cooling and shrinking water and so maybe its still taking heat away from the engine.

Verbose Vocabularian

Last edited by 1ofAMillion+; 08-06-2019 at 08:55 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
If I was ever going to install an electric cooling fan in a vintage Mustang....... well, for those of you who know me you already KNOW that ain't going to happen.... but say I DID want to do it... I'd have a bung soldered into my top tank and put it there.
Nailbender likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
If I was ever going to install an electric cooling fan in a vintage Mustang....... well, for those of you who know me you already KNOW that ain't going to happen.
Right there with you on this one Bart! It's a vintage Mustang not a new whatever. Yea I've got EFI, blame that on the non attainment summer blend gas. I remember the first time I heard a muscle car park with an electric fan humming loudly ......
Woodchuck likes this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks

Last edited by Nailbender; 08-06-2019 at 09:33 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:36 AM

[QUOTE=Nailbender;10213656]Right there with you on this one Bart! It's a vintage Mustang not a new whatever. Yea I've got EFI, blame that on the non attainment summer blend gas. I remember the first time I heard a muscle car park with an electric fan humming loudly ......[/QUOTE

Ive never heard anyone say "I can't tune my fan properly because...."

Verbose Vocabularian
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh_66_fastback View Post
Could I beg a pic? I'd love to see how it looks, but also how you routed your wiring...
Thanks!
As you can see, I routed it next to the temp and oil sender wires
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3764.JPG (138.8 KB, 12 views)
dh_66_fastback likes this.

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
If I was ever going to install an electric cooling fan in a vintage Mustang....... well, for those of you who know me you already KNOW that ain't going to happen.... but say I DID want to do it... I'd have a bung soldered into my top tank and put it there.
From a purely analytical point of view, the temperature sensor should be in the bottom of the radiator (the outlet) so it knows when the coolant is not being cooled by the air flow. Thatís when the fan should kick on, not when the coolant leaving the engine reaches a specific temperature. I remember seeing one company having such an arrangement for their fan controller, but I donít remember the name.
From a practical view, a sensor at the outlet will suffice. Iíd use a sensor that kicks in just past the temperature that your thermostat fully opens (which is not the temperature rating of the thermostat).
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM68GT390 View Post
From a purely analytical point of view, the temperature sensor should be in the bottom of the radiator (the outlet) so it knows when the coolant is not being cooled by the air flow. Thatís when the fan should kick on, not when the coolant leaving the engine reaches a specific temperature. I remember seeing one company having such an arrangement for their fan controller, but I donít remember the name.
From a practical view, a sensor at the outlet will suffice. Iíd use a sensor that kicks in just past the temperature that your thermostat fully opens (which is not the temperature rating of the thermostat).
https://www.autocoolguy.com/

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Quote:
From a purely analytical point of view, the temperature sensor should be in the bottom of the radiator (the outlet) so it knows when the coolant is not being cooled by the air flow. That’s when the fan should kick on, not when the coolant leaving the engine reaches a specific temperature. I remember seeing one company having such an arrangement for their fan controller, but I don’t remember the name.
From a practical view, a sensor at the outlet will suffice. I’d use a sensor that kicks in just past the temperature that your thermostat fully opens (which is not the temperature rating of the thermostat).
I get the analytical logic, but thinking more, I am less concerned with the temp of the water exiting the radiator than I am the water exiting the engine as that is a better gauge of the temperature of the engine. It is the temperature of the engine that I am trying to regulate. For the sensor at the radiator outlet to accomplish desired engine temp, one would have to figure out the heat gain by the time the coolant exits the engine. That heat gain will vary depending on the load on the engine, thus the sensor may not be at the right temp for all conditions.

Yes, temp of sensor should be higher than the thermostat to allow thermostat to fully open and give the radiator a chance to work before adding more air.
dh_66_fastback likes this.

Chris (Sussex, WI)

Last edited by 66coupe289; Yesterday at 11:34 AM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Well, old car or what, i've had some semblance of a heating issue for years and i'm sick of it. I live in the hot, Florida climate... I put the ECP radiator on and it was working fine, but when I tried to go with a group of old Mustangs down the beach road, I was the only car that started to heat. Every single one of the owners of the cars said the same thing - "get an electric fan for crying out loud". The local Mustang club said the same thing. So, I want to drive the thing with some expectation of it keeping cool.
Putting EFI on a car is different from changing the fan how? LOL! Just kidding Nailbender! I'm all for keeping them original but I want to get her out of the garage!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM

Quote:
From a purely analytical point of view, the temperature sensor should be in the bottom of the radiator (the outlet) so it knows when the coolant is not being cooled by the air flow. That’s when the fan should kick on, not when the coolant leaving the engine reaches a specific temperature. I remember seeing one company having such an arrangement for their fan controller, but I don’t remember the name.
From a practical view, a sensor at the outlet will suffice. I’d use a sensor that kicks in just past the temperature that your thermostat fully opens (which is not the temperature rating of the thermostat).

Autocoolguy is the only one I've seen use the outlet.

https://www.autocoolguy.com/

I have their setup controlling the fans on my 65's dual contour setup. It's fantastic (see what I did there?)

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in