1965 Shelby Clone with K-code salvage VIN - Vintage Mustang Forums
 65Likes
Closed Thread

post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

1965 Shelby Clone with K-code salvage VIN

What is this worth?

It looks like a really nice clone that someone put a lot of work into. It's fairly accurate, but has the '66 quarter windows, gas cap, and some other missed details, but overall it looks good and even has proper override traction bars.

If you keep going through the photos you'll see their photo of the VIN stamp. It looks like Helen Keller did it and then rubbed some JB weld on top.

I ran the VIN through the NICB database and it shows up as salvage. I do not know what the real history is with this one, but for purposes of discussion presume it's a K-code VIN from a destroyed salvage car that got stamped onto a C or T code body.

What's it worth? It is worth more than a Dynacorn with repro parts? (Assume it can be registered without issue.)

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...carolina-28602

Description from the ad:
Quote:
The Ford Mustang was originally named for the fighter plane, the P-51 Mustang and later the horse Mustang became the emblem. Buyers loved its low price, long hood, short trunk styling, and its many options and Ford loved its high volume sales. In mid 1964, Ford introduced the sporty 2+2 fastback body style to go along with the hardtop coupe and convertible. Enthusiasts also cheered the new 'K-code' 271bhp 289 cid V8 that finally put some performance to match the Mustang's good looks. For those that wanted more, the legendary Carroll Shelby and Ford collaborated to produce the Shelby GT-350. This was a fastback specially tuned by Shelby. The 289 V8 produced 306bhp in street tune and around 360bhp in special GT-350R race tune. These Shelby's had no back seat, were only available in white and were fully race ready. This 1965 Mustang 2+2 Fastback GT350 Clone is presented in Wimbledon White with Black Crinkle Vinyl interior. It was built in Dearborm,MI on December 20,1965 the D.S.O was(71) Los Angeles and by the trim tag It says it should have a 289ci 4v V8 HiPo engine(but has not been verified) backed by a 5 speed transmission that replaced the original 4-speed manual and the trim tag also says it should have a 3.89:1 gear. It comes with a customized Roll cage with simpson 5 point seats belts. The rear end is a detroit locker with a possilbe 3.89:1 but we cannot verify. This Mustang was built to run vintage style racing. It has a working pod in the dash for the Tach and oil pressure. The car was purchased from a local owner in NC and the trim tag says its a K code Mustang,but we CANNOT VERIFY THIS. call 1-877-689-6930 for more information and ask for Kennith Stewart.
(emphasis added)

VIN stamping:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg VINphoto.jpg (192.8 KB, 85 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
It's more like, How many VIN# Aprons can you weld together to make one VIN and then grind them all down to make it look like one complete VIN#... It's got illegality written all over it..

The Driver's door Dataplate is also a recent Marti repro...

Would be curious to see the car's "Hidden VIN#" underneath the Passenger side fender...

I would steer clear of this car without some heavy duty investigation...

)

Tony K.
Huskinhano and Huntingky like this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:28 AM

Ask the fool that buys it how much its worth.

Verbose Vocabularian

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:51 AM

The website says they're located in Phoenix, AZ. Maybe a member from there has seen the car. To me, the car looks like a nightmare. It looks like a rebody, not just a "salvage" title. The VIN on the apron looks like it was spliced in and not a very good job of that. The data plate looks like a repop and it's one of the few "K" code parts on the car. It doesn't have the HiPo 289 engine. It doesn't have the T-10 trans. It doesn't have the HiPo 9" rearend. The seller makes a lot of claims about the car but then deflects responsibility off of himself by saying he "cannot verify this." I'd be REAL careful about buying this car. If, and only if, there are no legal issues, I'd say the car is worth about half of what he's asking.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryH View Post
If you keep going through the photos you'll see their photo of the VIN stamp. It looks like Helen Keller did it and then rubbed some JB weld on top.
Making fun of people with physical disabilities is about as low as it gets in my book.

With ignorant comments like that, I have no doubt Helen was a better person than you will ever amount to Perry.

Quote:
What is this worth?
Nothing ceases to amaze me with people asking a forum what a Mustang is worth with a fraudulent VIN stamp.

floovb, floovb, vwomp, vwomp (sound of a bad tire driving)

Last edited by EvenFlow; 08-08-2019 at 02:28 AM.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Point taken... seriously. I could edit it my post with an apology, but you've quoted me, so it's there now, my shame recorded for the annals of eternal Internet history.

There is a post topic trending on the front page about whether or not civil discourse is possible. This interaction points to the negative here. Had you PM'd me pointing out my concerns instead of throwing down the outrage gauntlet to shame me, (and following that with a personal attack) that civil discourse would have occurred. Diplomacy is a two way street, and going to the extreme right out of the gate prevents civil discourse. I will disregard your presumptive conclusion on my character and value as a person based on that posted single sentence. I am happy to discuss further via PMs instead of having a personal argument here. Apologies if I offended you. For future responses by others, please forgive my insertion of an uncouth distraction in my question.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:44 AM

If that was a K code even as a rebuilt salvage it could be worth that or more. But it's not a K code. Looks like it was a replica car that was raced or at least built to be raced.

Until you know what the title says with respect to the VIN and if it is titled as salvage there's no good way to tell how much it's worth. You don't know if you can title or register the car.
j persons likes this.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:47 AM

Run away! Run away!

Move along. Nothing to see here.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:56 AM

Interesting find.

Pretty sure its my old car. Need to check the vin tonight but she looks all too familiar.

I had a '65 K-code Shelby cloned fastback, white / blue. 289 with Windsor Jr heads, Milodon road race oil pan, T5 with hydraulic clutch, '94 Mustang V6 master cylinder with 4wdb, rear brakes were from a Crown Vic. 9" rear, Detroit Locker with 3.89's and a sway bar, exhaust was a set of Flowmasters with u-bends for side exit, subframe connectors welded in, rollbar with the black padding, trunk mounted battery, rear seat delete. Too many things match for it to be a total coincidence.

If it is, it was a legit K-code fastback. It came out of the Michigan area and was built by a guy in the UP. I was the owner until December 2010 when an uninsured California driver took me out in a head on collision. Sent me to the hospital and the car to the salvage auction as it was deemed a total. Was it repairable - probably and if the vin matches my records then yes.

Let me find the vin tonight and see if its my old ride. She sure looks the part...

Jeff
vegasloki likes this.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:01 AM

This is what it looked like in 2009. It was amazing on track - could not break it loose in any corner. Had 17" rims with Falken Azenis tires on it then.
Huntingky and vegasloki like this.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:07 AM
Supporting Member

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66_72stanger View Post
Boys, can we all just get along?
Probably not.
Huntingky likes this.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Point taken... seriously. I could edit it my post with an apology, but you've quoted me, so it's there now, my shame recorded for the annals of eternal Internet history.

There is a post topic trending on the front page about whether or not civil discourse is possible. This interaction points to the negative here. Had you PM'd me pointing out my concerns instead of throwing down the outrage gauntlet to shame me, (and following that with a personal attack) that civil discourse would have occurred. Diplomacy is a two way street, and going to the extreme right out of the gate prevents civil discourse. I will disregard your presumptive conclusion on my character and value as a person based on that posted single sentence. I am happy to discuss further via PMs instead of having a personal argument here. Apologies if I offended you. For future responses by others, please forgive my insertion of an uncouth distraction in my question.
Never apologize they will impugn you either way. Most of us understand that it was simply a joke.

Last edited by cmefly; 08-08-2019 at 11:25 AM.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:57 AM

PerryH ,
Look at the bright side you didn't suggest Ray Charles(rip) , Ronnie Milsap , or Stevie Wonder. When EvenFlow demonstrates his ability to walk on water he can judge us. Until then he is NO better than you or I. He "assumed" the car had a fraudulent vin in his post and now the former owner has come forward stating the vin IS legit. We all make mistakes. "Most" of us know you were not disrespecting the extremely incredible lady.
Randy

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 44 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:16 PM

Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmefly View Post
Never apologize they will impugn you either way. Most of us understand that it was simply a joke.
Even Stevie Wonder could have seen that.

69 Mach 1, 351W, T5, owned for 31 years, 03 Mach 1 Azure Blue, 65 fastback, 289, C4 (son's), 67 fastback, 289, C4 (wife's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page