Price of parts - Vintage Mustang Forums
 24Likes

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Price of parts

Just a heads up or a point of discussion
This is no way a criticism of NPD or UPS
Just purchased parts from NPD. shipped by UPS From Florida to New Zealand.
Ordered 30 July
Shipped 02 August
Arrived NZ 06 August
Delivered Tomorrow 09 August
order 100% Filled
Great Service by both companies
Now The bit that hurts
Price of parts 208.00 us$
Price landed here in NZ which includes UPS freight NZ customs duty,Govt GST (tax), brokerage,.
Landed cost 382.00 us$
Which makes about a cost increase of about 85% I think
You guys have it made over there
It Hurts . but will still buy parts from the USA anyway. Govt trying to stop us from buying overseas
Rant over. Great info on the Forum enjoy reading everything
John

Last edited by Lambo101; 08-08-2019 at 04:40 AM. Reason: should be 85 %
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:37 AM

We have a member here who lives on Ibiza island. A couple of years ago I sent him a 64 pound box of parts. UPS wanted $740 to ship the box. USPS charged $310 to ship the same box. By the time Customs released the box to him the price of the parts had increased exponentially. Maybe it's time for you guys to have a Tea Party!
kenash and gt350sr like this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:36 AM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
Dear Lambo101,

Thank you for your correspondence. We are sincerely sorry for the various necessary charges required to complete your transaction. To facilitate delivery to you in the most timely and cost effective manner possible we shipped your order via UPS because our transporter is currently out of service and Scotty can't fix it until he gets back from planet Theta IV next Tuesday.
Please rest assured we are always striving to improve all aspects of our customer service on your behalf.

Sincerely yours,

National Parts Depot
(somebody needs to sign this)
kenash, Huntingky, gt350sr and 3 others like this.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:24 AM

Yea, that’s sucks.

I take for granted I have a mustang parts house here in HOUSTON that I can pick most stuff up here locally, although it’s a little more expensive than NPD or CJs.
It’s individual owner, and I try to give him my business so he will stay in business.

Summit is in Dallas so if I order early in the day, sometimes it comes next day. JEGS in two days.

“Embarrassment of riches” as they say.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:55 AM

It works both ways. There are tons of products in Austrlia, New Zealand, and especially Europe that I'd love to buy, but VATs and shipping doubles the price here in the States.
gimpystoy likes this.

Move along. Nothing to see here.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Supporting Vendor

Ahhh.... Shipping....

Yes, by the time UPS gets its bite, and then the (insert country here) government gets their bite, restoring an American classic across the pond can be pricey.

USPS can sometimes be cheaper, but speed, tracking and reliability has historically been suspect.. You run into different weight and size restrictions too..

Let's face it folks, shipping (UPS/FedEx/USPS) is getting damn expensive, across the board, domestic and export. But it's difficult for the general-public to understand or see, because more and more, internet-based businesses are building their shipping expenses into the prices of their products, and then charging an absurdly low/inadequate shipping fee, and/or shipping for "free".

It's all really a hoax if you think about it, because someone has to pay the shipping, and UPS/FedEX/USPS doesn't do anything for free. They send a hefty bill every month. And that bill must be paid, so it's baked into the cake, and you (the consumer) are paying it whether you realize it or not.

All this Amazon Prime stuff that's arriving on the world's doorsteps for "free", is actually baked into the product prices. Even still, it can come out cheaper than buying from your local brick & mortar, because they're eliminating distribution/middleman overhead.

But regardless of the mathematics behind Amazon and the ilk, shipping expense is climbing and climbing, as UPS/FedEX/USPS scramble to build infrastructure, trucks and planes to handle all of this volume. And we are indeed paying for it. It's embedded.

It's all we can do here at NPD, to maintain our prices, while maintaining our $9-minimum, 10% up-to-$300, and "free" above $300 structure. It's all interconnected.. If we were to lower our minimum, or lower our free-shipping threshold, we would have to RAISE something else (likely prices) in an equal amount in order not to drown from the move.

We're all ordering more and more online. And we're all paying for it, directly and indirectly. It'll be interesting where this all lands in 30-50 years! Maybe I'll be around to see it, maybe not.. LOL..

Rick
NPD

P.S. To the OP, thank you, we appreciate your business! Sorry it was so pricey to get it to you! But please rest-assured, we do not use our shipping fees as a profit-center, it's cost-based.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo101 View Post
Just a heads up or a point of discussion
This is no way a criticism of NPD or UPS
Just purchased parts from NPD. shipped by UPS From Florida to New Zealand.
Ordered 30 July
Shipped 02 August
Arrived NZ 06 August
Delivered Tomorrow 09 August
order 100% Filled
Great Service by both companies
Now The bit that hurts
Price of parts 208.00 us$
Price landed here in NZ which includes UPS freight NZ customs duty,Govt GST (tax), brokerage,.
Landed cost 382.00 us$
Which makes about a cost increase of about 85% I think
You guys have it made over there
It Hurts . but will still buy parts from the USA anyway. Govt trying to stop us from buying overseas
Rant over. Great info on the Forum enjoy reading everything
John
And this is the whole problem with tariffs...they only hurt the consumer...they dont punish anyone other than the consumer and never have...but shipping is a high cost as well...I want to import a Barra engine to play with from AUS...but the shipping cost always stops me.
vegasloki likes this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:31 PM

Garage
Reminds me of Alexander from Germany who bought a '67 Coupe from me a few years ago. He's got a shop over there and comes to the US 2-4 times a year to get parts and cars for customers. Here's the trick he told me= he buys cars, absolutely packs them to the gills with parts, and ships them back to Germany that way. There's something about customs not checking the parts inside the cars as they're considered 'part' of the car that they're in.... or something like that. Anyway- he went to Summit Racing and bought like $8,000 in parts, hauled them back to my place and filled the '67. From here it went to Minneapolis, then a container, then to Germany. Wish I could remember the name of his shop- he was a pretty cool guy!
vegasloki likes this.

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:01 PM

I shipped a few items to Japan several years ago and it was quite pricey for a very light box.... But it wasn't much more than shipping it to Maine from here. The north east is stupid expensive to ship to.

I mentioned on another thread... Planning to go to Greece next month so if anyone needs any small parts ... And if you are in say England it's always possible for me to take parts on a trip there, need a reason to go and a place to stay... England has really strict rules on what you can and can't bring in compared to the US though. It's why the better 3/4 refuses to work flights there cause she can't take her makeup stuff there. Other places are possible and I don't mind bringing gifts. NZ is also going to be possible again as well and I think I have a place to stay there too.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rick.
But the cost of freight is not really a concern for me. If we live at the end of the world everything costs more
its just a fact of living here and appreciate efforts to keep costs down on your part.
What bugs me is the fact that govts are trying to make extra out of internet buying. call it a tax, duty or tariff its all the same to us.
Guess thats just modern living. we suck it it up and go with the flow. Getting too old for all this stuff. Just keep on playing with my Mustang.
Thanks and have a great day
John (Lambo)
Ps parts just arrived at front door now back to the shed
englishman likes this.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:09 PM

That's how they pay for socialized medicine. You need to find a friend that has an APO address. I know there is one in Alice Springs Australia, I'm not so sure about what US military presence is in New Zealand.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom991 View Post
That's how they pay for socialized medicine. You need to find a friend that has an APO address. I know there is one in Alice Springs Australia, I'm not so sure about what US military presence is in New Zealand.
Should still be USAF as NZ was the last stop before 130s etc made the trip to the south pole. They used to stop at Hickam get the door hinges and rollers cleaned and oiled with special low temp oil then a touch up in NZ before the trip.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom991 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcam84 View Post
Should still be USAF as NZ was the last stop before 130s etc made the trip to the south pole. They used to stop at Hickam get the door hinges and rollers cleaned and oiled with special low temp oil then a touch up in NZ before the trip.
APO packages are still subject to customs and tax of the destination country unless it's an active combat theater and they aren't going to let you ship auto parts into that. It's not going to save him from tariffs, duty and taxes. Plus the NZ resident is still obligated to pay those taxes and report the importation. I'm sure some do it to save some shipping costs but I doubt it will help this chap.

We have duty and tariff over here too. If I wanted one of those cool new Raptor Rangers they sell down in that part of the world or a VW Type II vintage truck from Euro-land it's a 25% tariff (chicken tariff from nearly 60 years ago) plus my state sales tax on that. For the Ranger that takes a $50k truck and turns it into a $62.5k truck when it lands.

When you live in a remote area where you need specialized things like vintage Mustang parts that's the price of poker. I've been down there. It's awesome. FWIW NZ pays about half of what we do per capita on health care with better outcomes and mortality rates. In a 2018 ranking of overall accessibility and quality from the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation we were at 29 worldwide. NZ was 17.

According to the most recent data I could find from the Tax Policy Center at Brookings they shoulder about a 5% higher overall tax burden. I pay about 6% of my pre tax earnings on my employer provided heath plan plus the $12k my employer says it costs them plus co-pays and deducables.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...994-2/fulltext

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/brie...nternationally
jgrote likes this.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:28 PM

Location: I bounce between The Texas Hill Country & far North Idaho
Having lived in both Canada and Australia, well yep.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:17 AM

Poltical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxhead View Post
Having lived in both Canada and Australia, well yep.

But yet you can buy something from China, off E bay, and the shipping is $ 1or $2 dollars if at all.

I have purchase items for $3 that included shipping from China to Los angles to Utah.
They know how to work the system

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in