Need help with 69 mach 1 value - Vintage Mustang Forums
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By Turnall
  • 2 Post By patrickstapler
  • 1 Post By patrickstapler

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to JDM4401
Need help with 69 mach 1 value

Long story short we want to buy back my wife's uncles former race car. Its not exactly a race car anymore but was race back in the 70's/80' in the SCCA A/S class. Its changed hands a few times and most of the racing equipment stripped off, but it still retains the same driveline.

I was able to track the car down and build a bit of a relationship with the current owner. He agreed to give us first right of refusal if he ever sold it. Timing is unfortunately bad right now, but he has decided to sell. He hasn't given me a price but he has indicated he thinks high teens. I was thinking $12000-$14,000 based on what it is. We really want to make a deal, but I wont over pay. Our intentions are to return it back to race spec and eventually compete in vintage races once in awhile. If it wasn't for the sentimental value I would find another 69/70 and build a track car. We really only need a solid body to start with.

Body is pretty solid, but definitely shows scars and bruises from its racing days. I think someone did a quick respray at some point, but its far from show quality. There's no interior other than a couple racing bucket seats.

I will attach some photos to give you an idea of condition. I know trying to give a value over the internet is subjective and will most likely yield #'s all over the place, but I'd like to hear what you guys think. Also the car is in western pa. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69-2.jpg (233.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 69-3.jpg (246.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 69-4.jpg (277.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 69-5.jpg (347.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 69-6.jpg (234.5 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:24 PM

You're behind the eight ball...he knows what it means to you. If you want it, I would take him my top dollar and be willing to walk away if he refuses...

Allen
Grabber70Mach, Israel and TheRktmn like this.

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:45 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Man that car would be super cool brought back to its glory days. Hope you are able to get it back.
Grabber70Mach and Turnall like this.

Regards,
Patrick

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:54 PM

It appears to still be a race car. Is the drive train race-prepped? I mean, is the engine, trans and differential all super-strong race stuff? That makes a big difference in my book.

If it's just a 351W with a cam, intake and headers, I would pay $12,784.67 That's because the car has no interior and a rough roll bar.

Are you sure you want to race this car? No problem if you do, but a nicely restored '69 Mach 1 can easily fetch north of $45,000. That's why you don't see too many people racing these cars anymore.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

He can think what he wants but I wont over pay. I can walkaway! New memories can be made with another car.

Its definitely not race ready, one of the previous owner stripped the racing suspension off because it sat too low and put basic stock components back on. Its needs a lot of work before it would ever be race ready.

As far as we know the racing drive line is still in it, although 30+ year old technology. I have no desire to restore just keep it the way it is and if all goes as planned get it back to racing standards.

Thanks for the responses.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:03 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Nothing wrong with 30 year old technology and no need to spend a fortune.

https://opentrackerracing.com/products/
TheRktmn likes this.

Regards,
Patrick
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM4401 View Post
He can think what he wants but I wont over pay. I can walkaway! New memories can be made with another car.

Thanks for the responses.
Good mindset. My point was to go in with your top dollar with no negotiating and let him know that up front or he will try to milk you. If 14k is that number, I would proceed with it. I wouldn't offer 12k and then let him counter. Normally I would but in this case, I would hit him with my best price and be willing to let the chips fall where they may.

Cool car btw.

Allen

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:07 PM

Garage
My quick advice would be to make sure it is indeed a Mach 1 before making an offer, because that will affect the value a lot. The dash in the picture is a standard dash, and it appears to not have the Mach 1 clock on the passenger side. While that doesn't mean it isn't a Mach 1, it isn't correct for a Mach 1 either, which a lot of times means the car started life as a standard fastback.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Update: The owner is the car is not sure what he wants to do at this point. He's worried he wont be able to find another 69 Mach 1 for under $20k that is in similar condition. I told him to take some time and do some research, they are definitely out there.

I will keep you posted of what transpires.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM4401 View Post
Update: The owner is the car is not sure what he wants to do at this point. He's worried he wont be able to find another 69 Mach 1 for under $20k that is in similar condition. I told him to take some time and do some research, they are definitely out there.

I will keep you posted of what transpires.
Mines not an everyday case, but I paid 10k for it...

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...l#post10176042

You can give him real world examples from the forum if it helps.

Allen

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Today, 11:18 AM

I agree with your instincts. Depending on the VIN engine code, my top bid would likely be around 15K assuming the body is straight. If the engine is an S-code or better, I'd look for a less desireable body to race with. He'll easily get offers in the high teens for a 390 or larger big block body.

As a price ceiling to consider, you can likely combine a junker coupe with a Dynacorn body for around 18K. You'd have to source some fastback parts, and include the very significant time and effort correcting the poor Dynacorn stampings and assembly (see J Person's very cool thread for details). But I feel more comfortable building a racer from a re-pop body than a real classic with a potential collector car value in the Year's Salary Range.

Move along. Nothing to see here.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Today, 01:03 PM

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Today, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

You are correct, that's it. When he told me he was thinking of selling he said he might consider ebay. I was hoping to make a deal first, but i guess he really wants to test the waters and see what he can get for it. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

If it doesn't work out with this car than I may just build a car from a decent shell. In reality its probably a better option. Just wanted this car more so for the family ties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in