1968 Mustang Alarm System? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 21Likes

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1968 Mustang Alarm System?

Hi gang,

I may be using my 1968 Mustang as a daily driver which includes not having it in a garage overnight. Are there any alarm systems you recommend I can have installed without a lot of modifications? I think the good old "CLUB" will still be used as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0309 (1).jpg (587.8 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 01:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeinarkansas View Post
Hi gang,

I may be using my 1968 Mustang as a daily driver which includes not having it in a garage overnight. Are there any alarm systems you recommend I can have installed without a lot of modifications? I think the good old "CLUB" will still be used as well.

Put in a manual transmission. All you need to keep thieves at bay these days.

Or just pull the rotor from the distributor.

Sent from the interwebs

-Chris

'68 Mustang
347ci that has a lot of neat stuff in it
T5 manual trans, alum driveshaft, 9" w/3.70 gears
Suspension parts from SoT, Global West, Maier Racing, and a few others. Works for me!
TCP manual rack (love it)
EPAS (Love this the most)
VWW V45 wheels (like these too)
SoT 13" brakes (stopping is good)
And I finally got a paint job!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 01:51 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
I put in basically a regular alarm system. All it does it make noise while someone steals the car. Maybe be annoying enough that they move on to another less noisy car. I've had a couple of alarm system failures to the point where I will NOT hook one up that "disables" the starter or something so they can't start the car. Because sooner or later it will screw up and then I can't start my own car. Not an option, for me. Either way, a stereo shop can install such an alarm system without modifying your car significantly. Or you can install one yourself.

A lot of people say to do this or that under the hood. Darned if I'm going to be opening the hood EVERY single time I park or need to start my car. Since fiddling under the hood is actually how people steal old Fords, a better option is simply to lock the hood. If you search for "cabinet lock" here you'll turn up a pretty simple solution. There used to be lockable hood release cables too. A couple of people here have them, I don't know if they are still sold. You have to drill a hole for the cabinet lock, a cable setup is less intrusive.

A club isn't great, nor the pedal lock style. Both can be defeated by simply using bolt cutters to cut the steering wheel. Happily the vast majority of bored hooligan casual thieves don't know that. So having a brightly colored thing on there that makes your car at least look harder to steal is probably a good thing. Along that line you can buy a bright yellow "parking boot" type lock pretty reasonably these days. Harder to defeat than a club but kind of a pain to kneel down and deal with, especially if you have to dress nice for work.

One simple thing is a hidden switch that kills the ignition or something. It won't stop them from towing it or tearing up a bunch of stuff trying to start it but it stands a good chance of keeping someone from simply hot-wiring it and driving off. A friend has one I like. A magnetic reed switch. He has a magnet that he simply swipes past the switch and cranks up his car with the key. Nice part is that it is invisible and resets by itself every time he turns the car off. I think his is in either the seat or the headliner. He let me play with it and knowing what he had I still couldn't find it. He jumps in his car with an odd flourish so I know he's waving it past somewhere. The magnet is in an every day doodad on his key ring. No one would ever suspect the entire system existed if he didn't tell.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:21 PM

This might interest you: go to the search feature and type in "the ultimate kill switch"

Original Owner 69 Mach1
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
great, thanks. I will probably try a simple alarm and a club as start, at least make it look hard. I need to look into the kill switch thing, probably my safest bet
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:57 PM

IMHO, alarms exist only to annoy you and everyone around you every time it goes off for no reason, until someone actually decides to really steal it. The club is also garbage, as anyone who knows how to steal cars can cope with it. Much like the alarm, it will serve as an annoying timewaster for you, while doing little to nothing to keep your car safe.

Parking your car in a safe place where you can pay attention to it is always your best bet. If you're really paranoid, you could consider a tracker system, so that if it's stolen, you have a chance to get it back or catch the perps.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:02 PM

There's a company in LA that sells the lockable hood release for classic cars like GypsyR mentioned. Here is their website:
Shop Z-Lok - Z-Lok HoodLock

I have one very similar to the Zlok but haven't installed it yet. For now I always have a gun lock in the trunk and run the cable through the latch in the grill when needed...I do make sure to take it off before driving so I have quick access to the engine bay.
GypsyR and Huntingky like this.

~e ikaika, e ho'okanaka, e ha'a ha'a~
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
I would just put in a Thompson Z-Lok. If you REALLY want an alarm system, an "easy" one can be installed using a magnetic reed switch to turn it on and off, and actuated by the courtesy lights.

Something along the lines of the following should work. The reed switch controls the alarm system. It is normally closed, and opened by the magnet, so you grab the magnet when you leave the car and attach it to "safe" the alarm. You could also use a mechanical switch connected to the door lock rod on the driver's door.

When the reed switch is closed and someone opens the door, the courtesy lights come on and switch the relay to the "on" position, sounding the horn(s) or siren. The signal to the horns is looped around to the courtesy lights with a diode protecting the circuit from backfeed and voltage surge, so it's "self generating". Once the courtesy lights come on and the horns sound, the only thing that will shut them off is the reed switch magnet. The horns will continue to blare (and the courtesy lights will remain on) until you return and "de-activate" the system.
Attached Images
File Type: png Alarm.png (45.3 KB, 12 views)

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
I would just put in a Thompson Z-Lok. If you REALLY want an alarm system, an "easy" one can be installed using a magnetic reed switch to turn it on and off, and actuated by the courtesy lights.

Something along the lines of the following should work. The reed switch controls the alarm system. It is normally closed, and opened by the magnet, so you grab the magnet when you leave the car and attach it to "safe" the alarm. You could also use a mechanical switch connected to the door lock rod on the driver's door.

When the reed switch is closed and someone opens the door, the courtesy lights come on and switch the relay to the "on" position, sounding the horn(s) or siren. The signal to the horns is looped around to the courtesy lights with a diode protecting the circuit from backfeed and voltage surge, so it's "self generating". Once the courtesy lights come on and the horns sound, the only thing that will shut them off is the reed switch magnet. The horns will continue to blare (and the courtesy lights will remain on) until you return and "de-activate" the system.

No offense Woodchuck, but that seems very inconvenient to me. Since the courtesy lights come on every time you open the door, the magnet has to be on/near the reed switch every time you open the door to prevent the siren from coming on, and you have to remove the magnet from outside the car? What am I missing? Adding a switch to the lock rod (which isn't shown on the diagram)- don't thieves typically get into the car using a slim jim to unlock the door and wouldn't that turn off the switch? And, if the lock rod is the activation device, then it can't be activated until you are outside the car- so you must have remote locks.

Also I wouldn't want the siren on constantly until I returned to the car. Besides running the battery down, I'm sure there are city ordinances against alarms that don't shut themselves off.

It doesn't prevent the thief from starting the car. I think the thief would just find the noise maker and rip it out. Just my two and a half cents.

Original Owner 69 Mach1
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:10 AM

If it were me...I would hook up the noise maker like Gypsy...and simply install a GPS tracker in the car somewhere. An alarm system isnt going to stop someone determined to steal your car...but a hidden GPS device will allow you a chance to recover it.
Huntingky and Crank_It_Up like this.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1 Driver View Post
don't thieves typically get into the car using a slim jim to unlock the door
You give the average thief WAY too much credit. Think "brick through glass".

A reed switch works through glass. I actually had one right behind the windshield inspection sticker once years ago. Give your car a subtle "pat" before you get in it and away you go. These days I'm just about keyless entry and power locks though.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:53 AM
Supporting Member

I'm gonna run a keyless start system/alarm from Digital Guard Dawg, a cabinet lock on the hood and insure it for more than it's worth.

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:21 PM

keep the car in unrestored condition, nobody wants to steal a car in that condition.

(Bailing Twine) holds everything together
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
You give the average thief WAY too much credit. Think "brick through glass".

A reed switch works through glass. I actually had one right behind the windshield inspection sticker once years ago. Give your car a subtle "pat" before you get in it and away you go. These days I'm just about keyless entry and power locks though.

That's a very good solution to hide the reed switch, and one I hadn't considered. I prefer hiding the switch on the inside where there are mountains of plastic trim in the dash, console, A-pillars, etc., as that makes it convenient to turn on and off. As I'm sure you know, reed switches work well through plastic too.

Of course all bets are off if the guy has a tow truck, but that's not likely if he's the sort that just used a brick to break the glass. I would rather make it as difficult as possible to move the car from where I parked it than try to find it with a GPS later. Actually I'm in favor of doing it all- multiple kill switches for ignition, fuel and transmission, a noise maker, and GPS. And yes you can disable an old mechanical transmission electrically. I cobbled together a linkage lock for my FMX over 30 years ago. If I back it into a parking stall wherever possible they can't really tow it away with the rear wheels locked.
Oh, the hood locks too.

Original Owner 69 Mach1

Last edited by Mach1 Driver; 08-11-2019 at 06:01 PM.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1 Driver View Post
This might interest you: go to the search feature and type in "the ultimate kill switch"
Tried that, got no results.

'68 J code coupe back in H.S.1st car. Now 65 GTFB
Daughter & I built her a '66 coupe feature car in 8/04 MM & '05 Meguiar's winner see it @ Meguiars.com Made matching pedal car for her daughters.
Built a '68 j code coupe with oldest son. Made matching pedal car for his sons.
Built a '67 FB with youngest son. Yes I'll be making a matching pedal car when he has kids.
Future '74 TR6 Project for Wife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page