Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Engine and transmission advice for a beginner

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  rbohm 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I recently got my first Mustang. It's a 1966 Mustang coupe. I am new to this and have a lot of learning to do. My first question is this: I want to know what's the largest carbureted egine that can fit in it and which transmission should I get to nicely complement that engine? I don't want to modify the shock towers. I simply want to install a new engine. Thank you. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
A 351 Windsor or 351 Cleveland is the largest (physical dimensions) engine that can be installed in a '66 without modifying the shock towers. Both of those engines can be bored and stroked to 408 cubic inches. You can install a 4 speed or 5 speed transmission behind either of them.

#6 ·
Forgot to mention that the car currently has an automatic transmission, so most likely I am going to keep it that way. I know it was mentioned that either a 4 or 5 speed would be good. Any particular make and model automatic 4 or 5 speed?

351W stroked to a 408 or 427 with a Toploader 4 speed. Hope you have the budget to support the build.

Welcome to the forum.

Thread posted in incorrect forum by the way.

#8 ·
It's also worth noting that you can get a 302 to power levels which will far exceed your traction on street tires. You will need to seriously consider braking, suspension, and chassis stiffening if you're going to be ripping around with 350+ RWHP.

A 289/302 will be easier to work on, making headers and spark plugs much easier to deal with, and the lighter weight (compared to a 351, it's about 80 lbs difference) will improve handling. You don't need to carve out your shock towers and put in a big block to smoke your tires all day long.

#15 ·
A 351 Windsor or 351 Cleveland is the largest (physical dimensions) engine that can be installed in a '66 without modifying the shock towers. Both of those engines can be bored and stroked to 408 cubic inches. You can install a 4 speed or 5 speed transmission behind either of them.
awhtx is right, the biggest engine that will fit without modification in the early engine compartment is a 351w or 351c based engne(stay away from the 351m/400 as they wont fit due to the taller deck height). the 351w will fit better than the 351c based engine will due to the slightly narrower width, both however require swap headers to fit.

however i would recommend that you rebuild/modify what you have now as it fits nicely, doesnt require anything special to get it to fit, and can be stroked out to 347ci, while making good power.

it will also give you some experience in fitting the engine into the compartment, so you can see the pitfalls of swapping engines and not be frustrated by having to finesse the engine into place with no room to deal with.

i would also sit down and decide just what you want from this car before deciding on what engine to use, you might find that the original 289 would be perfectly adequate for your intended use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.