10Likes
  • 2 Post By Grimbrand
  • 2 Post By cmefly
  • 3 Post By Redneckgearhead
  • 2 Post By jaseology
  • 1 Post By rbohm

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Engine and transmission advice for a beginner

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I recently got my first Mustang. It's a 1966 Mustang coupe. I am new to this and have a lot of learning to do. My first question is this: I want to know what's the largest carbureted egine that can fit in it and which transmission should I get to nicely complement that engine? I don't want to modify the shock towers. I simply want to install a new engine. Thank you. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:07 PM

A 351 Windsor or 351 Cleveland is the largest (physical dimensions) engine that can be installed in a '66 without modifying the shock towers. Both of those engines can be bored and stroked to 408 cubic inches. You can install a 4 speed or 5 speed transmission behind either of them.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
351W stroked to a 408 or 427 with a Toploader 4 speed. Hope you have the budget to support the build.

Welcome to the forum.

Thread posted in incorrect forum by the way.

Regards,
Patrick

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both for the advice. Sorry about posting the thread in the wrong forum. Which one would be more appropriate to post in? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
351W stroked to a 408 or 427 with a Toploader 4 speed. Hope you have the budget to support the build.

Welcome to the forum.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:15 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
The high traffic area will be the main forum. Your thread would also fit into the Mod & Custom forum, but likely with a little less response. The Mod of this section will likely move your thread.

Regards,
Patrick
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to mention that the car currently has an automatic transmission, so most likely I am going to keep it that way. I know it was mentioned that either a 4 or 5 speed would be good. Any particular make and model automatic 4 or 5 speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
A 351 Windsor or 351 Cleveland is the largest (physical dimensions) engine that can be installed in a '66 without modifying the shock towers. Both of those engines can be bored and stroked to 408 cubic inches. You can install a 4 speed or 5 speed transmission behind either of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post

Welcome to the forum.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:23 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
If you are looking to drag race, there are several guys here that can offer good advice on a auto transmissions.

Regards,
Patrick
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:39 PM

It's also worth noting that you can get a 302 to power levels which will far exceed your traction on street tires. You will need to seriously consider braking, suspension, and chassis stiffening if you're going to be ripping around with 350+ RWHP.

A 289/302 will be easier to work on, making headers and spark plugs much easier to deal with, and the lighter weight (compared to a 351, it's about 80 lbs difference) will improve handling. You don't need to carve out your shock towers and put in a big block to smoke your tires all day long.
cmefly and vegasloki like this.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:57 PM
Supporting Member

Ok is the car a factory v8 car? Is it currently a running/driving car?

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:46 AM

The biggest engine you can fit without modification would be a 460" small block in a Dart block.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckgearhead View Post
Ok is the car a factory v8 car? Is it currently a running/driving car?

289ci, factory, does not run
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1683.jpg (499.7 KB, 6 views)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:10 AM

I like the 289/302 in the 65/66 cars over the 351W. It is a better fit with more header choices and easier to work on. get a 347 stroker kit and a good set of heads and you will have plenty of power.
Boss5Oh and Grimbrand like this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 12:06 PM
Supporting Member

My advice, make it run, make it safe, drive it while you build your high hp engine. Those things will teach you the fundamentals of these cars and allow you to enjoy it during the process.
LSG, Nailbender and vegasloki like this.

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckgearhead View Post
My advice, make it run, make it safe, drive it while you build your high hp engine. Those things will teach you the fundamentals of these cars and allow you to enjoy it during the process.

That's wise advice...
I'm going to do that
Rufus68 and Nailbender like this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseology View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I recently got my first Mustang. It's a 1966 Mustang coupe. I am new to this and have a lot of learning to do. My first question is this: I want to know what's the largest carbureted egine that can fit in it and which transmission should I get to nicely complement that engine? I don't want to modify the shock towers. I simply want to install a new engine. Thank you. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
awhtx is right, the biggest engine that will fit without modification in the early engine compartment is a 351w or 351c based engne(stay away from the 351m/400 as they wont fit due to the taller deck height). the 351w will fit better than the 351c based engine will due to the slightly narrower width, both however require swap headers to fit.

however i would recommend that you rebuild/modify what you have now as it fits nicely, doesnt require anything special to get it to fit, and can be stroked out to 347ci, while making good power.

it will also give you some experience in fitting the engine into the compartment, so you can see the pitfalls of swapping engines and not be frustrated by having to finesse the engine into place with no room to deal with.

i would also sit down and decide just what you want from this car before deciding on what engine to use, you might find that the original 289 would be perfectly adequate for your intended use.
jaseology likes this.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page