Interior Door Painting II! Paint Goes On - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By SpareTime
  • 1 Post By Woodchuck
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Interior Door Painting II! Paint Goes On

So this time I am actually painting the doors. Back panels are painted and I’m very happy with how they came out.

Doors are much more difficult of course and this is as clean as I can get it.

Did a test of primer + paint on a few spots last night. Removed it this morning.

Question us: after self etching primer and 2 solid layers of black NPD lacquer paint how long does it take to become solid like the old door? I notice it chips off super easily with fingernails. Test was only on for 12 hours.

The back panels cured solid far more quickly.

This time I’m letting the primer cure for a full day or two before I paint the door itself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 561E975A-A7F9-43B9-8577-C6C13C3E54A5_1565546698097.jpg (498.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 88055559-058D-4FAD-9AB8-B7D5BA13D6D6_1565546719930.jpg (434.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 5AA0216F-6C56-4C95-B424-C35C8EAD023A_1565546933093.jpg (468.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 3A2EB461-EF1D-452D-9B71-8078FC630B88_1565546952223.jpg (282.9 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 04:57 PM

I used the NPD lacquer on mine as well with an epoxy primer. It took a bit for it to fully cure. A few days IIRC. The paint isn't great at impact protection. It seems to chip and scuff pretty easily. At first I thought it might be an incompatibility with the primer so when I did the dash it took it to metal. It doesn't seem to make a difference. The coating can still be delicate and I'm going on the better part of a year. Even though I wish it were more durable the color match is fantastic and the coating goes on well after you acclimate to spraying a rattle can lacquer. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So basically you're saying it will get a little better after fully curing but will always chip away fairly easily? What about coating it with a spray on clear coat (a less glossy one if there is such a thing)?

The thing that blows my mind is how night and day different the adhesion to the back panel metal pieces is compared to the doors.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:32 AM

I wouldn't use a clear on it but if you do test a patch first. Paint is made to be used in compatible layers. The NPD lacquer failed spectacularly on my original steering wheel that was patched, reshaped and primed. It didn't like the substrate layers and wrinkled up. I didn't find it to be a durable coating compared to other commercial options. The rub is getting that color matched to a more durable paint was more than I was willing to spend on it.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
He's right. Don't use Clear on the inner doors... It's a nightmare waiting to happen. Just use the laquer by itself.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:15 AM

I got terrific results using this method. Six years on and my doors /interior still looks new and I don't have an issue with chipping.
Start with the Duplicolor self etch primer. This stuff is terrific. it goes on very thin but is extremely durable.
The next step is a little different than most.
Use SEM Color coat in a "close enough" color. Also extremely thin and very tough and durable. Make sure you get everything covered evenly. It works well on metal, plastic and vinyl.
The final step is to very lightly "dust" the panels with the correct color. What you are looking for is just enough paint to wet the surface and give the proper color to the panel, but not so much that you will have trouble with chipping later.
The SEM is very scratch and chip resistant. if you do manage to scratch/chip the top layer of lacquer the layer below usually resists unless the damage is extreme.
Good luck! I hope it turns out well for you.

If it can't be fixed with a hammer, you have an electrical problem...(stolen from the H.A.M.B.)

Last edited by SpareTime; 08-12-2019 at 07:17 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I’ll definitely avoid a clear coat and see how it adheres with two light coats to the primer for the doors. I’ve switched to a black self etching primer from SEM. I used light gray Rustoleum on the back panels and it bonded well but that surface took in and it needed about 3 coats of paint on the primer. It is a much more grooved and rough surface than the doors.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM

Step away from laquer primer, and other laquer products. There is a reason manufacturers and shops stopped using it. It tends to be brittle and not the best durability. If your stuck using rattle cans, most auto paint supply stores sell rattle cans that have a catalyst that is activated when you first use the can so you should be able to find a true epoxy primer in that media. Get all the laquer product cleaned off and prep it with a red scotchbrite and a quality wax and grease remover. The SEM self etch primer is a decent choice also, but if I remember correctly it requires a standard sanding type primer before a basecoat. You can top coat the primer with whatever compatible basecoat you want and find a compatible clear coat that also uses a catalyst hardner. Might want a satin finish on the interior. All those are a bit more money but you can easily get professional results using them.

Last edited by Matter; Yesterday at 08:33 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM

I find the advantage of the laquer on the doors is it goes on thinner and keeps the texture super visible. I used 2 very thin coats of epoxy primer then a few coats of the laquer. When I went to do the kick panels I only had a half a can of the laquer left so I used a "similar" color to get good coverage then a thin top coat of laquer. I like SpareTime's idea of using a more durable color coat then dust with laquer for final color match. I too have noticed the laquer seems soft and in hindsight would have used this method to get a more durable end result.

1966 Convertible restomod in progress
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM

I find lacquer to be very durable and have never had a problem with it remaining soft. I do tend to spray in thin coats and allow plenty of time between coats. A major advantage to using lacquer is that there is no re-coat window. Additional coats and/or touch-ups can be done anytime and the paint blends perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paint.jpg (122.3 KB, 3 views)

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Lacquer is VERY HARD, and very thin. This makes it exceptional for painting surfaces with embossed patterns. Properly applied lacquer should not "flake off". If it does, that means it did not adhere properly to the surface to which it was applied. When doing doors, I prime mine first, with a lacquer primer after an application of Picklex20 to treat and etch the metal.
Huntingky likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 06:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
"There is a reason manufacturers and shops stopped using it."

Yeah, It's called the EPA and it's because of the amount of thinners used in the paint...Now Outlawed in certain states and areas and That's all.

Ford Originally used Acrylic Enamel based paints in the 1960's.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Unread Today, 09:05 AM

Correct that the prep is the most important factor to good adhesion and a thinner paint keeps the integrity of the texture.
Ford used acrylic enamel and General Motors used laquers into the seventies, you look at those laquer cars in the day and custom paints done then also and they were notorious for cracking and crazing. The manufacture's used them because they dry fast and were good for production speed. The fact that laquer gets very hard is the reason it crazes and chips and adhesion is more difficult than other products. I'm not saying it is a horrible product as acrylic laquer was better than nitrocellulose laquer that proceded it, but technology has come a long way and there are so many better products out there. I say all this as I have been painting professionally for over 40 years and used laquer when it was a current product. Not saying it is the worst thing in the world, especially in the world of rattle cans, just saying there are much better products out there. It is still available at auto paint stores but you will never see a professional painter use it unless a customer requests it for specific correctness on a classic car. Laquer paint jobs also had to be buffed after they dried for gloss.
The biggest thing is you don't want to use it over a softer primer as you will end up with a gummie finish or it will wrinkle, so if you choose to use it be sure you use a compatable primer which typically would be a laquer primer or a catalyzed primer.

Last edited by Matter; Today at 09:10 AM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Unread Today, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
Lacquer is VERY HARD, and very thin. This makes it exceptional for painting surfaces with embossed patterns. Properly applied lacquer should not "flake off". If it does, that means it did not adhere properly to the surface to which it was applied. When doing doors, I prime mine first, with a lacquer primer after an application of Picklex20 to treat and etch the metal.
What lacquer primer do you use?

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page