Assembly manual question - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By 4ocious
  • 1 Post By Asm109

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Assembly manual question

Do the Osborn assembly manuals include information not found in the factory shop manual for 68?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:08 PM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rq375 View Post
Do the Osborn assembly manuals include information not found in the factory shop manual for 68?
Yes, gobs of it. The Osborn manuals are all faithful drawings and corresponding assembly material specifications notes. Although depending on which manual subject category there may be some overlap info, they are much more specific to the actual assembly of the cars. They also contain drawings for the different body styles and many notes on production changes and when they took effect. Undertaking any sort of comprehensive restoration without some or all of them (depending on the focus) would be somewhat foolish if not downright negligent. I found them invaluable.
Just my opinion.
vegasloki likes this.

Last edited by 4ocious; 08-13-2019 at 07:22 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:32 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
I agree with 4. Invaluable if you are attempting any type of restoration. They probably aren’t going to be much help if all you are trying to do is fix and maintain your vehicle...unless you are needing to undo the previous owners “restoration”.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
"Do the Osborn assembly manuals include information not found in the factory shop manual for 68?"

Yes. Absolutely.

IMHO, One of the best investments that you can make for your car. It gets rid of lots of guesswork too.

If you have a '68, I suggest getting ALL of the Mustang Related 1968 Osborn Ford Factory Assembly Line manuals, and also the 1968 FORD ENGINE ASSEMBLY MANUAL as well. And after you are done with that, You'll want to pick up ALL of the 1967 Osborn Ford Factory Assembly Line Manuals Related to Mustang as well since its also the same bodystyle...and it will tell you why certain things were changed on your '68...and the '67 Manuals may also have things and Diagrams in them that are not in your 1968 Osborn Ford Factory Assembly Line manuals. And lastly, The 1969 FORD ENGINE ASSEMBLY MANUAL has 1968 crossover information in it as well!

I have all of the 1964 thru 1966 Osborn Ford Factory Assembly Line manuals and could not even ever imagine not having/owning them The best info on your car that good money can buy

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 PM

the op should keep in mind that the assembly line did not always do things as the assembly manuals suggested. there are variances within each plant & time of build.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:58 PM

"the op should keep in mind that the assembly line did not always do things as the assembly manuals suggested. there are variances within each plant & time of build."

That is true....and Every Plant did things a bit different. It should be used as a guide/aid only. Some of the diagrams show "only what was intended", and not what was actually done in the assembly line...but that is only very few diagrams....Most show what was actually done. From someone starting from zero, They are invaluable, or especially someone that is trying to find out where a specific part goes. All in all, They are priceless if you own a Mustang.

When restoring a car, One should ALWAYS find "Unrestored examples only" of cars of the same Plant and time period to copy off of...

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
MCA#70001

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:52 PM

Nope. I bought the chassis and engine manuals for my 65 and they arent worth the paper they are printed on.

Very generic and no detail at all.

For instance: I bought the engine assembly manual to see how the AC and PS pumps bolt on the engine. No specific info for the PS pump and the manual states that the AC is a chassis assembly part. I bought the chassis assembly manual and the AC is mentioned, but no specifics at all.

Bob Mannels book is a better bang for the buck, but unless you find the guy that did the work on the assembly line, your best bet is the collective knowledge here.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:24 PM

The assembly manuals for both 67 and 68 included the things @bmcgc says are missing in his. My 67 has all the configurations for PS, manual steering, A/C, thermactor, alternator. Sounds like the early years aren't as informative as the later years.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
Nope. I bought the chassis and engine manuals for my 65 and they arent worth the paper they are printed on.

Very generic and no detail at all.

For instance: I bought the engine assembly manual to see how the AC and PS pumps bolt on the engine. No specific info for the PS pump and the manual states that the AC is a chassis assembly part. I bought the chassis assembly manual and the AC is mentioned, but no specifics at all.

Bob Mannels book is a better bang for the buck, but unless you find the guy that did the work on the assembly line, your best bet is the collective knowledge here.
The manuals do have the info, it’s just occasionally hard to find. In your case the A/C is in the electrical manual. When you need to know how parts go together and the correct hardware to use, the manuals are invaluable. I wish the print quality was better, but that’s the best Ford could provide.

There is not 68 Engine Assembly Manual. You have to interpolate between the 67 and 69 first half of 68 used pretty much the same as 67 and the second half was mostly the same as 69.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

Last edited by Flade; 08-13-2019 at 11:37 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:55 PM

Yes, FLADE, Thanks for pointing that out. Some manuals are missing for certain years....even though there is a stock number on the back of the other manuals listed for them. This is because they were intended to be reproduced/re-printed, but the Originals were in such bad condition (To Dark and degraded) to copy that they weren't even worthy of putting out the manual(s). Would wonder if they could now be somewhat saved today with the advent of today's updated graphic computer software.

For Example, There was a 1966 Ford Factory Mustang Weld and Sealant Manual listed #AM0014, but it was never produced by Osborn due to Degraded/Bad Originals...so the '64 1/2 and '65 one is used instead since it would pretty much have the same Ford Factory procedures.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar

MCA#70001

Last edited by NEFaurora; Yesterday at 12:01 AM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
but unless you find the guy that did the work on the assembly line, your best bet is the collective knowledge here.

I have often wondered why nobody does this when questions arise concerning "how it was done at the factory". But somebody better start asking soon because "those guys that were there" are probably dying off quickly.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM

awhtx, ConcoursMustang Forums - Index is dedicated to all things Mustang as done by the factories. That is their main focus and they have had interviews with former factory workers and these guys have been taking pictures of unmolested cars since the 70's to record the way it was.
People at VMF are knowledgeable about Mustangs but the river runs much deeper at concoursmustang.com

Everybody has to start some place
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asm109 View Post
People at VMF are knowledgeable about Mustangs but the river runs much deeper at concoursmustang.com
It's a great place. I dig it. The concours and purist crowd is deep there but not so much for day two cars, run of the mill drivers or mods and heavy fabrication. The members over there may know but the forum doesn't highlight it. I've seen quality work in both places but in terms of the knowledge of auto mechanics and techniques concoursmustang.com has nothing on VMF. I'd say VMF as an information source is deeper on general automotive work and knowledge. If you want to know how your car came off the line and what to do to get it looking that way again concoursmustang.com is the place to go. If you want to know how to do the fabrication and mechanical techniques to get your car that way VMF is the place to go. They are symbiotic in that way.

An example would be if I wanted to re skin a worn shell I'd look here and the assembly manuals for the info on how to and what was required. I'd look there for proper finish, what would be considered original in a paint or reproduction and items that weren't exactly clear. Were it a resto-mod I wouldn't go there at all.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 09:20 AM

Vegas I don't disagree with a single thing you say. I only mention it when somebody really wants to know how was it done.

Here you will get a caution that methods varied by assembly plant. Over there they say well in spring of xx Dearborn was doing it this way and Metuchen did this different thing. I never see that level of specificity on VMF. Most people don't need it or want it. Some do and should know where to seek it out.

I am on both forums but check this one far more often.
vegasloki likes this.

Everybody has to start some place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in