T5 perf parts - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By MrFlash

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

T5 perf parts

Stumbled across a winter proj, picked up a WC T5 to rebuild, came with the 289/302 bellhousing. Just glancing through interweb can already see upgrades to do that'll support a strong sbf. Been looking but can't seem to narrow down a good perf parts vendor other than MDL or Astro. I plan to rebuild this myself, have the tools so it shouldn't be a problem. My plan is to build a strong T5 w/ 2.95 first gear capable of 375hp/375t but will obviously need quality parts to do it. Vendor suggestions? Yes, I know theres many of you that would say I should have got a T5Z, T56, but for me I'm very much money ahead going with this T5 and building it myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:31 PM

Here's an interesting video about the counter gear stabilizer plate by the man that designed it:

Here's his website, though right now he is sold out of the T5 parts: https://www.5speeds.com/
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:54 AM

I’d go with Astro.
You could even send them your T5 and they will build it to your specs.

As a DIY project, the most expensive part is getting all the gears necessary for a 2.95 1st (T5z) setup. You literally need all new gears. Except for 5th. You can keep the factory 5th gear.
The rest of it is just standard T5 parts.
Definitely get the billet rear cluster support and billet synchro keys.

One of the things that makes a T5z better is the tapered front shaft bearing. The standard T5 main shaft would have to be machined to accept a tapered front bearing.

Contact Astro, let them know what you want to do and I’m sure they will give you a recommended parts list.
j persons and Rowdy like this.

1970 Mustang coupe

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:13 PM

The 2.95 gears come from a V8 Camaro T5 except the special input shaft. There is a good builder/ parts supplier in So Cal named Anaheim Gear ( talk to Eric) that can help you out. They have been in business for over 40 years and have done many 3.35 to 2.95 conversions. You can find them on the internet too.
Randy

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 44 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:53 PM

I had a T5 built by Levy Racing in Phoenix, it had a 2.95 and a .8 OD. They used gears cut to a different pitch, it was a little noisy but it did just fine behind my 331. I think they used Astro internals
https://astroperformance.com/

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver

Last edited by j persons; 08-14-2019 at 03:55 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:32 PM

I've called, emailed and tried the tech chat on the website and can't get anyone at Astro to get back to me. The next best option to Astro is a GForce transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page