recrome 66 instrument cluster plastic trim - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By JeffTepper
  • 1 Post By DonP
  • 1 Post By Rowdy

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

recrome 66 instrument cluster plastic trim

Is it possible to recrome the plastic instrument cluster trim. The trim seems fine except it has yellowed somewhat. The black face is in good shape.

'66 GT Coup, restoration after 43 years in indoor storage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:57 PM

Garage
The process of re-plating plastic chrome is called "vacuum metallizing". Specialty plating companies can be found using a "google" search. "Chrome" paint is generally a distant second in terms of the outcome. Unless you are a trailered concours competitor, the reproduction bezels may work well for you.
DustyB likes this.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:39 PM

I have not tried this but Molotow Liquid Chrome markers look interesting. Some people are using the refills for airbrushing. There's some videos on youtube.
DustyB likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:16 PM

Last I looked the process to rechrome plastic parts was quite expensive in small pieces and batches. Its simply more cost effective to replace the bezel.
DustyB likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:39 AM

There used to be several businesses that specialized in rechroming plastic parts for Mustangs and other classics. As repro parts became cheaper and better the rechroming places slowly went out of business. There are still a few around but they are pretty pricey. Mostly used for high end Concours restorations.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:47 PM

I paid ~$450 to have my 64 Falcon dash trim replated and painted (4 pieces). It was done in Canada by CV Vacuum Platers probably 8-10 years ago. Yes, repro is much cheaper.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:42 PM

I also used CV Vacuum platers to re-plate my 70 dash bevel. It was done more than 15 years ago and still looks great. I can't remember the price but I think it was between $120 and $160.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:14 PM

I had my console insert vacuum metalized. But I can't remember who did it. It is the early 90s. From what I understood, the console insert chrome is real chrome that is electroplated over conductive paint. Before sending the part I needed to strip everything that wasn't plastic off the insert. That was done was by putting the part in a bucket of muriatic acid. Can't remember how long that took, but it took weeks. I was able to repair a broken corner and sand out minor imperfections. The result after vacuum metalizing was excellent. Today you can buy reproductions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page