Egr and oil cap hoses both? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Egr and oil cap hoses both?

Hi friends

I have oil cap withe air flow out pipe. I have an oval air cleaner with a plugged inlet port. I guess a hose runs between the two. Has anyone cleanly mounted a hose to look good runnign back there?

I also have functioning egr pvc hose running to the 1 inch riser under the carb. So do I really need both?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-class...h-tube/p/OC26/

66 Fastback

289 Auto C4 "C" code with added 4 bbl

We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 07:53 PM

It's your choice. You can either run a hose from your air cleaner to a filler cap with a nipple as you linked or you can use a filler cap that has mesh screen inside of it and inlet holes in the bottom side. You must have a route for air to get into the engine to replace the air that is being sucked out by the PCV valve.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 08:01 PM

First, EGR and PCV are not the same thing.
PCV valve will go in the valve cover.
You may not even have an EGR valve but if you do it would likely be bolted to the intake manifold.

PCV valve in one valve cover will have a hose going to the base of the carburetor.
The other valve cover should have a breather cap as a oil fill cap.
This breather cap should have some sort of filter material inside it. If it doesn’t, then it needs a hose attached to the air cleaner so it gets filtered air.

Bottom line, if your breather cap has a hose attachment, it needs to be connected to the air cleaner.

1970 Mustang coupe

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlash View Post
First, EGR and PCV are not the same thing.
PCV valve will go in the valve cover.
You may not even have an EGR valve but if you do it would likely be bolted to the intake manifold.

PCV valve in one valve cover will have a hose going to the base of the carburetor.
The other valve cover should have a breather cap as a oil fill cap.
This breather cap should have some sort of filter material inside it. If it doesn’t, then it needs a hose attached to the air cleaner so it gets filtered air.

Bottom line, if your breather cap has a hose attachment, it needs to be connected to the air cleaner.

Thanks Mr Flash ! I have been looking online for a oil cap that "awth " described . But I only find caps that are screw in flange types not push on. I f anybody has a link please send ! And thanks for the explanations !
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 09:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
I would purchase one of the PCV air cleaner fittings such as the Spectre version (available from Summit Racing for around $4) to install in your air cleaner base so you can run the fresh air hose to your breather cap. The engine will appreciate the cleaner air going into the crankcase.

FWIW, I would NOT use the nuts and screws to install but, rather, would RIVET the fitting in place from the outside with large aluminum rivets....you don't want something coming loose and going down a carb....

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 09:42 PM

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 09:45 PM

You could probably find an appropriate breather at your local Auto Zone

1970 Mustang coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in