Rear valance issues - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Rear valance issues

To start, both the rear valance and the rear quarters are Dynacorn. As can be seen in the photo, the corners do not fit. I originally thought it was the spot welded bracket on the back side of the valance holding it out, but it's the rear quarter to drop off pinch weld that is preventing this thing from even attempting to get close. Should I try to rework the valance to bring it closer in or simply add some sheet metal to the ends? The gap is about about a half inch. Sorry about the photo quality, it's difficult to hold the valance and take a photo at the same time.

Huntingky likes this.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:18 AM

Garage
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:35 AM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
I had the same issue on mine, both sides, all Dynacorn parts. The drop off/quarter flange was too generous so I cut it back just enough to allow the valance to meet up. There's still an unsightly gap though even after that. Note the ends of the valance have extra material curled over to the inside. I carefully turned those back outwards as needed to extend both the overall width and depth of the valance, then worked them smooth to fit up. There's supposed to be a seam where the valance and quarter meet, you just need to lose those unsightly gaps.

Note: I looked at bunches of pictures of both original and professionally restored 67/68 mustangs that provided views of these areas. It amazed me how many fit poorly revealing huge gaps. These valances were intended to be removable without cutting them, but some folk use filler or weld and grind so there's no seam at all.
I just chose not to go that route myself.

"Be sure you're right, then go ahead." - Davy Crockett

Last edited by 4ocious; 08-18-2019 at 10:41 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 02:12 PM

Other than sticking out too far, does it look like the quarter to valance gap would be nice if the valence pushed into place? If so, I'd start by trimming back the pinch weld. That would be the easiest way to go.

If you go too far that it removes some of the welds on that seam, just tack it back and seal it.
Woodchuck likes this.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Babb View Post
Other than sticking out too far, does it look like the quarter to valance gap would be nice if the valence pushed into place? If so, I'd start by trimming back the pinch weld. That would be the easiest way to go.

If you go too far that it removes some of the welds on that seam, just tack it back and seal it.
I trimmed the pinch weld so it's not touching the valance now, the side of the valance seems to line up with the lower quarter but there is still too large a gap to be presentable. Also the edge of the valance isn't formed correctly to match up with the quarter. I'm probably going to have to add some material to the ends and fill/smooth with my favorite filler.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 02:53 PM

Garage
I had to have my valence replaced on the 67 and the 65 and both needed additional material to extend the valance and narrow the gaps.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 05:16 PM

Garage
The after market stuff generally does make those pinch welds stick out too far for the rear valance to fit flush. It isn't a problem to grind them down as long as you have them welded inside where you grind to.

I also had to tweak those right angle tabs that are tacked on the valance so they would line up with the rear quarter retaining bolt through holes. I also tacked those bolts on to the valance once I got them adjusted right. They won't move and won't come loose now. I had to rotate those metal tabs some and also flatten them some to get the valance to fit flush on each end.

My valance also had the curled in lower corners so I gently straightened those to match the lines of the quarter panel.

If either or both those faces on your rear quarters where the valance mounts to have been wankered in the past you may have to tweak them some with the hammer and dolly as well. I had one that required some hammer work.

I also had to add metal to both ends of the rear valance to get a nice straight and acceptably tight gap line to the quarter panels but the line was still not completely parallel . I met the valance part way by adding a small edge of short strand fiberglass filler to the edge of the quarters where it meets up with the valance line. I only had to do this on the left side which is also the one I had to bang on with the hammer and dolly.

I considered welding the valance on but decided to not do that in the event I ever get a low tap back there and need to remove the valance and replace it. Then of course I'm dealing with another "custom" fit situation. I did keep those inner brackets for the bumper guards even though I'm not installing those. I might decide to later. I have a blacked out bolt(black car) in each of those holes. It does help add some strength to the valance and also pulls it up or lets it tuck up and in better so the line is straighter.

I am pretty happy with all that now after all the work it required to make the thing fit right.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation

Last edited by macstang; 08-18-2019 at 05:24 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 06:32 PM

Garage
Is it too much to ask that somebody makes a valance from original dimensions so they fit? Geez...

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:33 PM

I had to buy 2 for my 66 to get a good one that was workable. Still had to weld rod on each and remove and relocate the brackets that bolt to the quarter. Also had to grind back the trunk drop off flange I mine were about 1.5" deep. Ground them down to roughly 5/8" inch.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstcar66 View Post
Is it too much to ask that somebody makes a valance from original dimensions so they fit? Geez...

I have aftermarket quarter panels and an original Ford valance on my '65 and I had all of these problems. Apparently the aftermarket quarters aren't up to speed.
Huntingky likes this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Quote:
I bought the "economy" rear valance from Mustangs Unlimited quite a few years back... it fit like a GLOVE. No tweaking, not welding, no filling...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140919_162801_578.jpg (298.7 KB, 14 views)

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
I have aftermarket quarter panels and an original Ford valance on my '65 and I had all of these problems. Apparently the aftermarket quarters aren't up to speed.
Good thing you didn't hafta use a repro valance too.
I'm not real impressed with any of the reproduction body parts.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
I bought the "economy" rear valance from Mustangs Unlimited quite a few years back... it fit like a GLOVE. No tweaking, not welding, no filling...
What luck !
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:58 AM

Mine was about 3/8" too wide, so I had to take a small slice out of it.
The brackets on the rear also stuck out a little too far, so I had to trim those down.
I probably could have made it work, but after spending so much time on the rest of the body, it just seemed lazy to let it go like that.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
The factory valance on my 1970 Mach 1 didn't fit well either. The replacement valance actually fit better than the factory valance, but I added some material at both ends to make it nice and snug.

There was a LOT off variance between cars back then. As 22GT points out, "No laser guided robots". If you have a Mustang with a valance that fits really well, you just got lucky.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page