Bad wheel hop - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Bad wheel hop

The specs: 70 Mach

351c built (without going into detail 375 rwhp)

5 speed

Global west subframe connectors welded in.

9” 3.50 TruTrac axle completely gone thru.

All new “Factory suspension in rear and when I say new I mean new “everything..)

The problem: “Massive” wheel hop when laying down a two tire fire from a dead stop every once in a while just for fun... so bad I have to let off the gas in fears I’m going to snap something...

Don’t want to spend a lot- already have on this 1.5 year restoration..

Help——-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:16 AM

Garage
wheel hop breaks things,fast. At a minimum getting stronger leaf springs would be good .On the cheap get some old school slapper bars

Brad
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Yeah as I said they are new leags I forget if it’s the four or five

They R the factory height.

Also forgot to mention I’m running 15 x 8
295 x 50 x 15 Cooper’s in back

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:41 AM

Either get a set of Cal-Tracs or the Shelby style traction bars. Stronger springs would help some but probably not eliminate the problem. It definitely can break something if you stay in it while it's going one, from engine mounts to spider gears to the snout of the third member......
Cal Tracs are easy to install, no welding required, they're not too conspicuous either. They require changing the bushing out of the front of the spring. The Shelby style underrider bars are much cheaper cost wise, but require welding of the front mount. You can also go the old school route with a set of bolt on traction bars, they will work, but they hang down quite low. If you go that route get the better set that takes place of the lower spring mount and not the kind that use a u-bolts to hold them on. I don't recommend those though.

69 Mach One, 428CJ, 5 Speed, 3.91's.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:21 AM
Supporting Member

there are many sophisticated (and pricey) solutions for wheel hop. Nothing against them, but many times wheel hop can be eliminated by a set of basic TractionMaster bars, exactly like the ones used on the early GT350's. The cost is a reasonable $120.

Traction Master Company

I had wheel hop on my '65 K code, and it only got worse with the addition of a Weber carb set. A set of tractionmaster bars completely eliminated the problem, and the car was fun to drive again.

Will the TractionMasters work in every situation ? No, some issues will only be solved by spending more money on a more sophisticated system of wheel control. A little research goes a long way toward picking the right product.

Z
65coupei6_2, cmefly and Huntingky like this.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:27 AM

Like he ^ said, there's only two ways of approaching it..... a smaller amount of cash that may
fix it or a larger amount of cash that may fix it.

If all you want is straight line performance, the TM bars will probably address it.
If you want to also go through curves you're going to have to upgrade your factory-style
rear springs.
First diagram is what happens to a regular spring under heavy acceleration.
Second photo is a type of spring with a full length 2nd leaf that serves as an internal
method of controlling spring wind-up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13_20.jpg (28.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Full length leaf _ HDRS.jpg (27.3 KB, 15 views)

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

Last edited by GT289; 08-18-2019 at 11:38 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
Either get a set of Cal-Tracs or the Shelby style traction bars. Stronger springs would help some but probably not eliminate the problem. It definitely can break something if you stay in it while it's going one, from engine mounts to spider gears to the snout of the third member......
Cal Tracs are easy to install, no welding required, they're not too conspicuous either. They require changing the bushing out of the front of the spring. The Shelby style underrider bars are much cheaper cost wise, but require welding of the front mount. You can also go the old school route with a set of bolt on traction bars, they will work, but they hang down quite low. If you go that route get the better set that takes place of the lower spring mount and not the kind that use a u-bolts to hold them on. I don't recommend those though.
Note that the Foxbody GT's had a shock fastened to the top of the rear housing I guess for wheel hop... Thank God for aftermarket sources!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:59 PM

Garage
A quick and dirty solution can be to clamp the front of the leaves. They can be purchased or fabricated in the garage.

You can also change your technique when doing a burnout. If you snap or dump the clutch, you're shocking the drivetrain and causing the springs to unwrap violently. A gradual application of power and clutch until you overpower the tires is often a better way to go.
dobrostang, Huntingky and 2nd 66 like this.

"We've always done it that way" - the most dangerous words ever spoken

71 Mach 1
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 01:06 PM

I tried 5 leafs didn't help at all. I finally made a half leaf from my old leaf and clamped it to the top half of the front half leafs clamped under the axle. Problem solved:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1041.jpg (671.1 KB, 15 views)

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller View Post
A quick and dirty solution can be to clamp the front of the leaves. They can be purchased or fabricated in the garage.
While it is a cheap solution to try, clamps did nothing for me when I tried then years ago. YMMV

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 02:57 PM

I would splurge on the cal tracs...Why cheap out now or try a few things that really aren't the be all end all. I had bad wheel hop as well...changed the leaf springs and added Shelby weld on traction bars...that fixed it, but I bet the Caltracs would have been easier and better for a little more money and a lot less time. Your car sounds like it deserves them!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 03:05 PM

I had a horrible wheel hop and tried 4 1/2 springs and Shelby style traction bars with little improvement. What fixed it 100% was a pair of Bilstein rear shocks with street valving. You can get them from one of our VMF forum sponsoring venders! Around $200 a pair and worth every penny in my case! Wheel hop does bad things!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1174.jpg (333.3 KB, 18 views)
Huntingky likes this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 05:22 PM

CalTracs will 100%, positively, without a doubt, cure the wheel hop, and if you make it to the track, you'll get tunability. It's a great product, made in America by a great company and a true drag racing family. They offer great customer service and most of the time I needed some detailed tech advice on setup for my application, John Calvert himself answered the phone, and spent as much time as needed talking to me about it.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

I wanted to thank all of you members for the feedback!!

Your expertise is much appreciated...
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:09 AM

my set up, 351W bored and stroked to 408. Rear Leaf springs upgraded to 5 leaf Scott Drake C5ZZ-5560-HD. No clue as to what the spring rate is but definitely stiffer than stock. Car already had a set of no name slapper bars on it when I got it. Gabriel Hijacker air shocks, and a 3.0 rear end ratio with limited slip. Tires 295/50 15 BFG Radial TA's.

No wheel hop

t
t

69 Fastback, Craft Performance 408 Stroker, CNC Brodix LH 17 210cc Heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 780cfm Carb, MSD Distributor & Coil, Tremec TKO 600, Ram Powergrip Clutch, Hurst Shifter, Powertrax Grip Pro Limited Slip, 31 Spline Axles, GW Frame Connectors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page