Outrageous squeak from the front left corner - Vintage Mustang Forums
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By shelby289s
  • 1 Post By Woodchuck
  • 1 Post By Woodchuck
  • 1 Post By JeffTepper

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Outrageous squeak from the front left corner

Just got back home from this year's trip, and in the past few days Jane has developed a pretty outrageous squeak from the front left (driver's) corner.

It seems to only show up when the suspension is less loaded. If I stop the car and lean on the corner a few times, it will squeak and then settle and won't squeak for a long time. I think that when I am driving 80+ MPH, the front end of the car gets a little light (very windy in eastern NM and west TX). Then when I stop to get gas or something, every little turn or bump makes it squeak really loudly. Maybe the suspension is less compressed at that time? Then I lean on it and it stops squeaking, until the front end gets lifted up by wind again.

The squeak sounds very much like rubber, not metal-on-metal. It sounds loudest to me in the shock tower so probably somewhere in the vicinity of the spring? What could be squeaking like this, and is there any other area of the suspension in particular that I should be checking up on?

For reference, suspension components installed (all 2-3 yrs old except for one piece):
- Eaton GT coil springs, stock rubber insulator
- OT roller spring perches
- SoT adjustable strut rods
- OT blueprinted UCA
- Stock Moog LCA
- Bilstein street shocks
- 1&1/8" sway bar, poly bushings (possibly 20 years old)

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://mapandamustang.blogspot.com/
Over 50,000 miles of North American roads driven on road trips since 2014. More always in the works - stay tuned!

When I show up at a car show and my car is covered in mud, it's probably because I drove 2000 miles to get there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 01:46 PM

You have a quality setup there. When was the last time you greased the poly sway bar bushings?
Could it be the lower arm? You don't have much stuff that that would squeek.....

1969 coupe
372 Cleveland, 4 speed, 9" T.50 Trac Lock axle, Toploader, Global west suspension, Big Lincoln Trans Am Brakes front, Eldorado caliper/ MK VII disk rear.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 06:23 PM

Yep, sway bar or upper control arms.

Mine was doing that at one point and I sprayed some lithium grease in there, it took about 20 miles of moving it around and it went away.

1967 Sports Sprint 289 Coupe
2007 GT/CS

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 06:29 PM

Its your upper control arm shaft,very common on mustangs.Try greasing it
2nd 66 and Ironstang like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
My outrageous squeak was trashed lower spring perches... next suspect on my list would be upper control arm shaft or lower control arm bushing.
65coupei6_2 likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

I will grease everything, guess I just figured it should be better off than this as everything was last greased 10,000 miles ago. Glad it's just all standard stuff to check, nothing catastrophic.

Over 50,000 miles of North American roads driven on road trips since 2014. More always in the works - stay tuned!

When I show up at a car show and my car is covered in mud, it's probably because I drove 2000 miles to get there
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:43 PM

Can the rubber spring insulator cause a squeak? Not sure. I am just guessing since you say everything was greased 10,000 miles ago. Plus you describe the sound coming from there.

But, after you grease everything and it is still there it is time to remove the spring. Like Woodchuck said. It could also be the rubber on the perch.

As a side note. My bumper bracket arm was a little loose. It also gave an annoying squeak. I know you said it is not a metal sound but easy to check.

...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. CI Aliminum Head, Holley 350,
Schneider 264/274 cam, Headers, Recurved DSII, MSD 6A, and a whole lotta other stuff!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
On the other hand.... did your "little friend" run back to Jane when you weren't looking and take up residence behind the splash shield?
subpar63 likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:00 PM

My Mazda6 recently started squeaking a lot...in the case of that car though, my shocks are pretty well worn out...so its springs or spring isolators that is doing it since springs are now taking all the bumps that the shocks used to absorb(I have put off replacing the shocks just because I dont feel like fooling with the front struts right at the moment...of course not replacing the shocks causes other problems on that car...like tire cupping so I wont be able to put it off much longer)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 03:34 PM

Garage
Kelly: Keep in mind that when these cars were new, Ford service intervals were 6 months or 6000 miles and included chassis lube. My guess is that your upper control arms are dry and need grease. Do you have the 90 degree zerk fittings at the ends of the upper control arm bushings? If not, NPD and others sell a kit with extended 90 degree fittings and a specialized tool to install them in the car. Here's a link:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-374714-sk
Ironstang likes this.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:42 PM

Location: Formerly Sioux Falls, South Dakota - Now Silverhill, Alabama USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
On the other hand.... did your "little friend" run back to Jane when you weren't looking and take up residence behind the splash shield?
I think Petri wanted to see Texas.

John

John Goettsch

My First Mustang

Transformed 2017: (Thanks 22GT)
66 FB C Code Upgraded to HiPo+
Autolite 4100 1.12 - 4-Speed Toploader
3.55 True-Trac - Koni Adjustables
Z-Member - Arvinode Exhaust

66 FB C Code C4
Code U Tahoe Turquoise Metallic
White/Aqua Pony Interior
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTepper View Post
Kelly: Keep in mind that when these cars were new, Ford service intervals were 6 months or 6000 miles and included chassis lube. My guess is that your upper control arms are dry and need grease. Do you have the 90 degree zerk fittings at the ends of the upper control arm bushings? If not, NPD and others sell a kit with extended 90 degree fittings and a specialized tool to install them in the car. Here's a link:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-374714-sk
Oh man, for some reason I thought they were 15,000 mile intervals! Well, I'll grease everything.

Today is a no-squeaking day so I may have to wait to test everything on the next super windy day on the interstate...

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:59 PM

If it sounds like a "rubber squeak" I would nominate the lower control arm bushing. I had a '71 Mustang that squeaked like that and it was the lower control arm bushings.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page