Instrument Lights - blow fuses - Vintage Mustang Forums
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Woodchuck
  • 4 Post By Uncle Buck

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Instrument Lights - blow fuses

Well my dash lights aren't working. I proactively replaced the headlight switch assuming that was my problem but when I tested them the fuse blew. I tried another and it blew.

So I guess I have a short to ground after the fuse block somewhere.

Can anyone suggest where to look first?

Last edited by Uncle Buck; 08-18-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Sure. First thing I would check is every last instrument cluster bulb. If the filament broke on one and dropped down to short out the bulb that could do it.... it doesn't take much to blow a 2.5A fuse.

Next on the list would be to find, under the dash to the right of the steering column, the blue & red wire with a "triple tap" female bullet connector.... one or two "taps" may be used if you have a console/clock/other accessory needing instrument lighting.... and using an ohmmeter check the resistance from the fuse block to the end of the wire. You shouldn't have more than .01-.02 ohms resistance. If so, start tracing it back. When you're looking at potential shorts, don't forget the radio, clock, RallyPac, etc..
Turnall and vegasloki like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:53 AM

Garage
My bet's on somebody cutting the radio light wire and just leaving it hanging against metal somewhere.

If it's not the radio light wire, and Bart's resistance check doesn't show anything obvious I'd start by pulling all the light bulbs out and see if it still blows. If it doesn't you can add them back on at a time 'till you find the bad one.

Every blue/red wire under the dash is part of that light circuit so take a look at all of them.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:30 AM

Garage
You could try turning the rheostat all the way to off on the instrument panel and see if it does or doesn't blow. It could also be any of the hot wires running to the front or rear running lights. I don't know if turning the instrument panel off will help isolate that or not but it might be worth trying.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 02:58 PM

Garage
Uncle Buck, do you have an aftermarket radio in your Mustang?. If you do see how the radio is hooked up. Make sure the power & ground wires are not hooked to the plug from the harness that would have went to the factory radio because one is power for the radio & the other is power for the radio light. I saw a lot of people in the late 70's early 80's when I was working for a Ford new car dealer hook up their aftermarket radio with the radio power wire to the harness radio power wire & the radio ground wire to the harness radio light power wire & as soon as you turn on the lights it would ground out through the ground wire on the aftermarket radio & blow the fuse. I hope that makes sense.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.

Last edited by MikeG69; 08-19-2019 at 03:01 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

^^ I do. It's one of those vintage looking aftermarket radios. That makes good sense. I'll check that.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG69 View Post
Uncle Buck, do you have an aftermarket radio in your Mustang?. If you do see how the radio is hooked up. Make sure the power & ground wires are not hooked to the plug from the harness that would have went to the factory radio because one is power for the radio & the other is power for the radio light. I saw a lot of people in the late 70's early 80's when I was working for a Ford new car dealer hook up their aftermarket radio with the radio power wire to the harness radio power wire & the radio ground wire to the harness radio light power wire & as soon as you turn on the lights it would ground out through the ground wire on the aftermarket radio & blow the fuse. I hope that makes sense.
Bingo!

Today I decided to have a look at my instrument lights issue. With the wiring diagram in hand I looked up under the dash and saw the #19 circuit accessory triple plug. Normally it would run the lights for a rally pack and the stock radio. Well I don't have a rally pack or stock radio so I expected the accessory plug to be empty but saw a very suspect black wire plugged into it. Once unplugged the dash lights worked fine. Oddly, everything works fine including the radio which I half expected not to work.

I'll need to trace this mystery black wire to figure out where it goes but for now I'm guessing it's a radio ground wire that isn't necessary as the radio is grounding through other means.

And as a bonus feature all my dash light bulbs are good.

Gotta love simple fixes that could have been a pain.
Magnus, dzhoser, MikeG69 and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:02 PM

Garage
Good, I am glad that was the problem & it was a simple fix.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:32 PM

Garage
And a cheap fix too, they are the best. Glad you found the problem.

[/SIGPIC]67 Fastback GT -- original colour (Frost Turquoise), original 289 A code engine. Pic is of me and the Mustang taken in May of '67, with original F70-14 Wide Ovals. Same car is now restored to "as new" but 3 speed tranny swapped out for 4 speed back in the mid '80's, with tach dash, original Equalock rear, Koni's, Opentracker UCA, LCA, roller perches and idler arm, roller bearing pedal cluster, Cibie headlights, 4100 carb (old 4300 put in storage probably forever)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page