Vintage Mustang Forums

Vintage Mustang Forums (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/)
-   Vintage Mustang Forum (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/)
-   -   V8 Drum to Disc Conversion (1965 front) (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/1162810-v8-drum-disc-conversion-1965-front.html)

Ockbob 08-21-2019 08:54 AM

V8 Drum to Disc Conversion (1965 front)

I'm sure this has been discussed many times and I did a search, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I figured I'd start a new Thread.

I have a 1965 V8 Vert with manual Drums all around (replaced single master bowl to duel bowl with kit from CPJP).
I also have the aftermarket styled steel 14" wheels (date stamped 1993) with rivets.

I see a few front Drum to Disc conversions on ebay for around $500 (Pirate Jack, Auto City Classic, Bro-Speed, and Performance On-Line).
Has anyone installed one of these kits, and if so, what wheels do you have? How do you like it?
I've heard that a proportioning valve may be needed, but none of these kits mention it or upgrading the master cylinder.

If I convert, I want a new kit (not interested in Granada or junk yard parts) that will fit my existing wheels.

Thanks!!!!!,
Ock

Redneckgearhead 08-21-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ockbob (Post 10222006)
I'm sure this has been discussed many times and I did a search, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I figured I'd start a new Thread.

I have a 1965 V8 Vert with manual Drums all around (replaced single master bowl to duel bowl with kit from CPJP).
I also have the aftermarket styled steel 14" wheels (date stamped 1993) with rivets.

I see a few front Drum to Disc conversions on ebay for around $500 (Pirate Jack, Auto City Classic, Bro-Speed, and Performance On-Line).
Has anyone installed one of these kits, and if so, what wheels do you have? How do you like it?
I've heard that a proportioning valve may be needed, but none of these kits mention it or upgrading the master cylinder.

If I convert, I want a new kit (not interested in Granada or junk yard parts) that will fit my existing wheels.

Thanks!!!!!,
Ock

Call this guy, he can get you hooked up with the original disc brakes used on early mustangs. Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering

Huskinhano 08-21-2019 09:38 AM

Chocostang is a active member on the forum who deals only with Ford suspension and brake parts. His disc brake kits are accurate reproduction of the factory 4 piston KH system. Even by today's standards these are excellent brakes. The kit will simply bolt on your existing spindles and no worries about what wheels will fit.

Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering

rbohm 08-21-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneckgearhead (Post 10222016)
Call this guy, he can get you hooked up with the original disc brakes used on early mustangs. Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskinhano (Post 10222034)
Chocostang is a active member on the forum who deals only with Ford suspension and brake parts. His disc brake kits are accurate reproduction of the factory 4 piston KH system. Even by today's standards these are excellent brakes. The kit will simply bolt on your existing spindles and no worries about what wheels will fit.

Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering

not to mention that chock's stuff is similarly prices to the stuff you find on ebay. yes you may pay a hundred more to get the good stuff, but isnt your car worth it? let alone your life?

Mustang4SF 08-21-2019 12:40 PM

+1

Go with one of the well known and tested kits. Yes it might be a bit more expensive but if you run into any issue you will get professional help for free.
Call Chockostang, CSRP or opentracker and talk to them. The guys are great and the kits include everything you need. Even a new master cylinder for disc drum combo.

I did my conversion 1.5 years ago with a CSRP kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodchuck 08-21-2019 09:48 PM

The best thing about Chockostang's stuff is that he's honest, helpful and uses good quality components. Even better is when the day comes to replace the front brake pads or rotors all you have to remember is "I need pads and rotors for a '65 Mustang with disc brakes"... to get the right stuff.

Flade 08-22-2019 02:37 AM

I installed Chockís kit an a 65 Fastback and couldnít be happier with it. You will need to change your master Cylinder. Disk and drum MC are different. You will also need a proportion8ng valve. The original Kelsey Hayes unit is not reproduced. So Chock includes an aftermarket one like in all the other kits you see.

An alternate option is to replace the 65 distribution block with 70+ Ford style combination block that has the proportioning valve built in. Th8s option is simpler and cleaner, but not adjustable. I have the proportioning valve on the 65 and combo style on my sonís 66. No complaints with either approach.

Ockbob 08-22-2019 10:06 AM

[QUOTE=Mustang4SF;10222104]+1

Call Chockostang, CSRP or opentracker and talk to them.

Thanks, I will call one of these and go that route.