13Likes
  • 3 Post By Redneckgearhead
  • 6 Post By Huskinhano
  • 1 Post By rbohm
  • 1 Post By Mustang4SF
  • 2 Post By Woodchuck

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

V8 Drum to Disc Conversion (1965 front)

I'm sure this has been discussed many times and I did a search, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I figured I'd start a new Thread.

I have a 1965 V8 Vert with manual Drums all around (replaced single master bowl to duel bowl with kit from CPJP).
I also have the aftermarket styled steel 14" wheels (date stamped 1993) with rivets.

I see a few front Drum to Disc conversions on ebay for around $500 (Pirate Jack, Auto City Classic, Bro-Speed, and Performance On-Line).
Has anyone installed one of these kits, and if so, what wheels do you have? How do you like it?
I've heard that a proportioning valve may be needed, but none of these kits mention it or upgrading the master cylinder.

If I convert, I want a new kit (not interested in Granada or junk yard parts) that will fit my existing wheels.

Thanks!!,
Ock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:02 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockbob View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed many times and I did a search, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I figured I'd start a new Thread.

I have a 1965 V8 Vert with manual Drums all around (replaced single master bowl to duel bowl with kit from CPJP).
I also have the aftermarket styled steel 14" wheels (date stamped 1993) with rivets.

I see a few front Drum to Disc conversions on ebay for around $500 (Pirate Jack, Auto City Classic, Bro-Speed, and Performance On-Line).
Has anyone installed one of these kits, and if so, what wheels do you have? How do you like it?
I've heard that a proportioning valve may be needed, but none of these kits mention it or upgrading the master cylinder.

If I convert, I want a new kit (not interested in Granada or junk yard parts) that will fit my existing wheels.

Thanks!!,
Ock
Call this guy, he can get you hooked up with the original disc brakes used on early mustangs. Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering
rbohm, vegasloki and rdnck1 like this.

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:38 AM

Chocostang is a active member on the forum who deals only with Ford suspension and brake parts. His disc brake kits are accurate reproduction of the factory 4 piston KH system. Even by today's standards these are excellent brakes. The kit will simply bolt on your existing spindles and no worries about what wheels will fit.

Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering
rbohm, kenash, bsolo66 and 3 others like this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckgearhead View Post
Call this guy, he can get you hooked up with the original disc brakes used on early mustangs. Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Chocostang is a active member on the forum who deals only with Ford suspension and brake parts. His disc brake kits are accurate reproduction of the factory 4 piston KH system. Even by today's standards these are excellent brakes. The kit will simply bolt on your existing spindles and no worries about what wheels will fit.

Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering
not to mention that chock's stuff is similarly prices to the stuff you find on ebay. yes you may pay a hundred more to get the good stuff, but isnt your car worth it? let alone your life?
Huskinhano likes this.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:40 PM

Garage
+1

Go with one of the well known and tested kits. Yes it might be a bit more expensive but if you run into any issue you will get professional help for free.
Call Chockostang, CSRP or opentracker and talk to them. The guys are great and the kits include everything you need. Even a new master cylinder for disc drum combo.

I did my conversion 1.5 years ago with a CSRP kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Opentracker likes this.

1966 Convertible (Plant: San Jose, CA)
289 2V, PS, AC
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:48 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
The best thing about Chockostang's stuff is that he's honest, helpful and uses good quality components. Even better is when the day comes to replace the front brake pads or rotors all you have to remember is "I need pads and rotors for a '65 Mustang with disc brakes"... to get the right stuff.
Huskinhano and Mustang4SF like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:37 AM

I installed Chockís kit an a 65 Fastback and couldnít be happier with it. You will need to change your master Cylinder. Disk and drum MC are different. You will also need a proportion8ng valve. The original Kelsey Hayes unit is not reproduced. So Chock includes an aftermarket one like in all the other kits you see.

An alternate option is to replace the 65 distribution block with 70+ Ford style combination block that has the proportioning valve built in. Th8s option is simpler and cleaner, but not adjustable. I have the proportioning valve on the 65 and combo style on my sonís 66. No complaints with either approach.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Mustang4SF;10222104]+1

Call Chockostang, CSRP or opentracker and talk to them.

Thanks, I will call one of these and go that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page