Throttle linkage firewall grommet. - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kelly_H

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Throttle linkage firewall grommet.

Installed a new firewall grommet and assembled the throttle linkage. Tried it out and when the throttle is depressed there is an air gap at the hole in the grommet. I have the correct grommet of my "67 and I got the grommet from NPD and it is installed correctly. Is there any way to correct this? Thinking about using a little black RTV around the hole to sort of bond the hole to linkage. Thoughts?

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:59 PM

So the hole in the center of the grommet that the throttle linkage passes through is too large? I think I'd be contacting NPD about that.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Sounds like the linkage is moving up/down at the same time it's going in/out. That's a tough think to solve with a grommet that doesn't have a stiff center. I wonder if gluing an o-ring that's a hair bigger than the linkage to the grommet would work....

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:51 PM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
Thinking about using a little black RTV around the hole to sort of bond the hole to linkage. Thoughts?
I could be mistaken J, but I don't believe that would hold up very long. I have the same linkage and firewall grommet that you have. My linkage rod travels fairly straight, but even so there is still a small sliver of a gap on the top side. I decided to just leave it as is, no big deal. However, initially I did think up something that might work and last too. My idea was to cut about a four inch long section out of a bicycle tire inner tube just wide enough (would need to measure the circumference) to wrap it around the linkage through the grommet and secure each end (one bay side, one interior) with small hose clamps. Then grease the thing. My thinking was to close that gap no matter where the linkage rod travels in use while still allowing the grommet to flex as intended. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to smear a light coat of RTV on just that section of linkage to be sheathed before securing it with the clamps. Anyhow, just brainstorming here and I'm sure someone else will have a better and more elegant solution than this half-baked half wit untried idea of mine.
Brad

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:26 AM

Post pics so we can see how bad it is. I havenít noticed an issue on my 68.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:30 AM

I noticed a similar issue with the grommet for my '66. The aftermarket grommet material is flimsier than the OEM stuff so it is more likely to gap.

In my case, the "drive it like you stole it" penalty has therefore turned into the "my foot is on fire" penalty
Woodchuck likes this.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://mapandamustang.blogspot.com/
Over 50,000 miles of North American roads driven on road trips since 2014. More always in the works - stay tuned!

When I show up at a car show and my car is covered in mud, it's probably because I drove 2000 miles to get there
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:47 AM

I put a new grommet on a week or two ago, and there is a very small gap that opens when you operate the pedal.
It's not really fair to compare it with the 53 year old, heat hardened, shriveled-up, original grommet, so it might be like the original or not.

I'm not worrying about it, the gap doesn't appear to be that large.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flade View Post
Post pics so we can see how bad it is. I havenít noticed an issue on my 68.
Here's a photo, the throttle lever is fully depressed, creating a 1/8" gap in the grommet. When I first saw it, there was light shining through, but the camera flash couldn't pick that up

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page