Rebuilding C4 difficult? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 11Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rebuilding C4 difficult?

Hi friends
I have a 66 Mustang with a C4. Doesn't look like it's been rebuilt in a while. It leaks and recently kind of gave out. When I shift out of park and put it into drive it takes about 10 seconds to get itself into drive and then when I give it gas in drive it doesn't accelerate just revs and coasts as if it's in neutral. Reverse works fine though. I called a total of 15 places near me and only two said they would be willing to work on it. They both said it should be rebuilt. One shop gave a quote of $2,000 and the other $1,500. I don't know much about transmissions and pricing but that seems pretty damn pricey. I know this an annoying question but is it really that difficult to rebuild a C4? I've never rebuilt any car component but enjoy working on my car and would be open to rebuilding it myself (as I really don't have a choice). Or if any of you know a place with fair prices in Southern California then let me know!
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:49 PM

I thought it was pretty easy and have never had done one previously. I looked at a bunch books, service manuals and such and then this guys video was pretty dead on as far as procedure and torque specs and such... this worked well for me as well as having the service manual just to double check things...

Good luck,

Jason
vegasloki and areallifecowboy like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:05 PM

Now would be the time to consider if you would like to change to a transmission that has overdrive. If you like manual transmissions, you could start researching the conversion to a T5. If you prefer to stick with an automatic, you can look into an AOD. An overdrive gear is really nice if you plan to drive the car much. If you're not interested in an overdrive gear, the C4 is a fine transmission.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:06 PM

That is the price of poker for that, at least around here. A bunch of labor. CJ wants $2-3k for one. Doing a gearbox is a big step for some new to rebuilding. If you want to tackle it you can find resources to help you.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:15 PM

Garage
Rebuilding the C4 is easy compared to other transmissions, but if this is the first time rebuilding anything on a car you should have a transmission expert do the job, I’m a mechanic and made a mistake on my first C4 rebuild and had to take it off again to fix my mistake; there are lots of small parts inside and clearances are important.
vegasloki likes this.

69 Fastback 428 SCJ
69 Hardtop 429 Boss
67 Fastback 390 GTA
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:15 PM

$2000? LOL. Almost every transmission shop I've ever been to has been hitting the crack pipe with super inflated prices for their services. You can just buy a new one for less. You could probably even find a stock reman unit for even cheaper.

https://autoplicity.com/396514-tci-a...r-transmission
areallifecowboy likes this.

1965 Mustang
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:18 PM

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:56 PM

I rebuilt my convertible’s C4 in my kitchen one weekend when my wife was out of town.

Get a good manual, a quality rebuild kit, and the rebuild is well within reach of anyone with average mechanical skills.

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Rangoon Red with White w/Red Appointments Deluxe Interior
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivygreen65 View Post
I rebuilt my convertible’s C4 in my kitchen one weekend when my wife was out of town...
Man, I have rebuilt carburetors, engines components, electronics, and a manual transmission in the kitchen or living room while Hunny Bunny was away... the dishwasher makes a pretty good parts cleaner... I do NOT recommend using the oven in the house to bake any coatings. Maybe take the oven outside...

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Check out Ken @ Bad Shoe Productions.

Bad Shoe Productions How To Video Series - Ford Transmissions & Rears

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, that’s a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you all for your quick replies. This really helps. I'll go ahead and try it.
I think this is the kit I'll go with: https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dr...-1969/p/ATRK5/
Thoughts?
Also gonna buy the Bad Shoe dvd and some manuals.
Israel likes this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:09 AM

About 20 years ago I had the same problems in a 66 hardtop I had, and I was referred to RTP transmissions in Huntington Park, CA 90255, by a customer of mine and I took the transmission in. At the time, if memory serves me right, it was around 250-400 to rebuild. It shifted very well and I removed and reinstalled myself.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:12 AM
Supporting Member

I opted to rebuild the c4 in our 66, having never done an automatic prior.
But for insurance I made arrangements with a shop to be able to bring it to them in pieces if I got stuck.
I purchased a shop manual and was able to get the rebuild done without much trouble.
Did it 10 years ago still going strong. I upgraded the servo to an H which run $30. The torque converter from a stock stall to a 2600 stall for around $180 and a transformer shift kit for$50 or so. Very happy with the positive shifts. Take your time and you can get it done easily enough.

Couple of notes

1) number the thrust washers with a felt marker or tape as you disassemble, they look similar to each other.

2) 4 bolts on the governor housing will break if torqued over 10lbs and are not readily available.
I got lucky at a junk yard, then bought a 1/4” drive inch lb torque wrench just for the piece.
Think it calls for 7lbs.

If it’s your daily driver and time is an issue, there is a guy a hour 1/2 south of you in Irvine that builds c4s and c6s out of his garage very reasonably. But he only does breach builds. He sold his tranny shop and retired just after I built mine trans. He now just builds them to fund his 67 mustang drag car habit.
I will get his number if you decide to go that route.

Good luck
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:14 AM
Supporting Member

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:51 AM

Garage
I rebuilt mine this winter. I ordered the Badshoe videos. They are literally step by step video instructions. Starts out with three transmissions on a bench. Tells you how to i.d. which one you have (early or late c4, or c6). After you i.d. yours, it is pretty easy to follow. The only tool some may not have is the gauge to measure end play as there are different sizes of thrust washers to put you end play into spec. He shows how this all works in the video.

I also ordered a custom rebuild kit from Ken at Badshoe. He only sent me the parts I needed and the exact thrust washers I needed. It was all quality, most of it Raybestos.

He also answered all my questions and responded to every email I sent asking questions.

Honestly, if you have a torque wrench, basic tools and can rent or borrow the gauge to measure end play, it was very simple.

PS: my slipping, leaking c4 now shifts like butter...and no leaks!
Israel likes this.

1966 Mustang Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page