Radiator clutch fan recommendations - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:29 PM

On my 67 EFI conversion, I used a flex-a-lite 5917 CCW clutch type 6-blade fan and the matching fan clutch from a foxbody. I am sure they make a standard rotation fan, just don't recall the p/n.

'68 coupe 289 C4 (featured in Mustangs & Fords July 2003)
'67 convertible 5.0L EFI conversion (appeared in Mustang Monthly Feb 2017)
'90 LX 5.0L
Www.ccrestorations.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:29 PM

Note that on the NPD website that the 6 blade fan is not warranted for use over 4000 rpm. They are absolutely correct. I replaced the original 4 blade fan on my car with the clutch fan setup earlier this summer and it only lasted until the next autocross where I developed a high rpm vibration and it made quick work of destroying my water pump. Not for high rpm applications! I went back to the original 4 blade fan.

I wonder if the 6 blade fan could be balanced for my 6400 rpm redline?

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
Note that on the NPD website that the 6 blade fan is not warranted for use over 4000 rpm. They are absolutely correct. I replaced the original 4 blade fan on my car with the clutch fan setup earlier this summer and it only lasted until the next autocross where I developed a high rpm vibration and it made quick work of destroying my water pump. Not for high rpm applications! I went back to the original 4 blade fan.

I wonder if the 6 blade fan could be balanced for my 6400 rpm redline?

Funny you should mention that! I chased a vibration in my engine that would come in around 2000 RPM and it turned out to be a bent blade on my 6 blade fan. I straightened it out by hand and the vibration went away. I didnt discover the problem until I started removing belts.

Cliff
1966 Blue Hardtop. 200 CID with 3 Speed Trans

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
Funny you should mention that! I chased a vibration in my engine that would come in around 2000 RPM and it turned out to be a bent blade on my 6 blade fan. I straightened it out by hand and the vibration went away. I didnt discover the problem until I started removing belts.
Thats interesting! My original 289 C code 4 blade fan has a blade with a rivet and washer on it I assume to balance it? Just looked at the 6 blade clutch fan and it shows no signs of any balancing.

Nice car BTW!
Fitch likes this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 02:49 PM

Garage
IIRC the fan clutch is designed to freewheel above 4000 rpm so the question of the fan blades being over revved should not be an issue. Does anyone know differently?

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTepper View Post
IIRC the fan clutch is designed to freewheel above 4000 rpm so the question of the fan blades being over revved should not be an issue. Does anyone know differently?
I don't know, but I'd hope so, considering the harmonic balancer pulley is larger than the water pump pulley, resulting in the fan blade spinning faster than the engine rpm. I'd have to measure to do the math, but I can imagine it would be very easy to get a 289 to the right speed to cause the fan to surpass 4000 rpm.

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTepper View Post
Don't know about the factory Ford clutch but for the Hayden clutch, per the Hayden website their standard duty clutches rotate the fan 60-70% of the water pump shaft speed when engaged, but still 20-30% when "dis-engaged". I guess it depends on the water pump pulley size vs. crank pulley size to figure out engine speed vs. water pump speed The Hayden 2710 clutch is what I went with and it's a standard duty.

https://www.haydenauto.com/en/produc...-types/thermal

In addition to the 2710 clutch, I went with the Derale 17117 6-blade fan. Doesn't look out of place, seems well balanced, no vibrations, and at idle the engine compartment is much quieter now. I did need a 1/2" spacer to get the fan a little closer to the radiator. With the spacer, the front of the clutch is 3/4" from the core and the fan blades are just about half-in, half-out of the shroud. Perfect.

Thanks to everyone for their knowledge, help and suggestions! Using the expertise on this forum has helped me avoid many expensive "trial and error" mistakes. Thank you!

Bill

1966 Mustang coupe
289 C-code, C4 auto
Edelbrock Performer intake and 1403 carb; custom 2-1/4" dual exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page