Alignment questions - Vintage Mustang Forums
 5Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Alignment questions

I finally got around to start the alignment on my 66 coupe. I bought a Longacre digital gauge. I thought it would be easier than the bubble kind. I have played with it about an hour or two. My problems are driving me nuts. I have a question about how to read positive and negative on the gauge. If you look at the picture, there are 2 arrows, one one each side. Either pointing up or down. How do you tell if it is positive or negative. The gauge only shows the number, no + or -

Another problem I am having is the front bolt will not loosen so I can remove or add shims. I have to raise the car up in the air before I can remove the front set. I am afraid that by raising the tire off the ground changes the way the tire sits each time so I get a different reading every time. Is there a simple trick I am missing?

Thanks for any help.

Homer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0822192118.jpg (288.3 KB, 11 views)

Da Bears

Last edited by homer2; 08-23-2019 at 12:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:15 AM

When I did my alignment, I had a hard time getting the space necessary to add/remove shims. The upper control arm bolts were really tight in the hole. I finally got a LONG wrench inside the UCA area between the UCA and the frame rail, and gave it a mighty tug. That did it, and went from there.

Can't help you with the gauge reading as I use a bubble gauge.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 05:53 AM

Read the instructions, or when in position on wheel, move one end away from wheel and observe whether it increases or decreases.

On one car, the bolt splines were not enough to hold it in place while loosening or tightening the nut. Had to finagle a wrench under the control arm to keep from moving.
rpm likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:46 AM

With the wheel turned and better access, I just stuck a BMF screwdriver or pry bar to move the control arm out slightly to install shims.

On my bubble gauge if I'm on the left side, I turn the wheel to the left 20°, zero the gauge and turn it 40° or 20° to the right and the caster number will show.

It's pretty easy to tell if you have positive or negative caster just by looking at the wheel when turned. If you're on the left, turn the wheel to the left. For positive, you can see the top of the tire is leaning back. Negative, iti leaning to the front

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:48 AM

Garage
Looks to me like the arrows are telling you which direction each end of the level is tilted, ie in your picture the left side is down and the right side is up a total of 2.9 degrees.

66 Convertible, GT clone. 289 4V, C4. Springtime yellow with black top
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:30 AM

Yep, the arrows indicate the tilt of the gauge and consequently the tilt of your tire. To keep the tires neutral after raising and lowering, I folded up a couple of heavy trash bags and put under the tires. After lowering, bounce on the front end a few times and your tires should be sitting about where they're going to.
dobrostang likes this.

Early 65
1998 5.0, fitech efi, holley in tank returnless pump
4R70W transmission with USShift quick 2 controller
3.00:1 8" open rear end
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:36 AM

Garage
They have their instructions online. Hopefully this'll help:
Instructions
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:30 AM

I don't know about everyone else, but I think they should fire whoever it was that chose those symbols for that display. For me, those arrows do not show the actual direction of tilt but instead the direction you would have to move it in order to achieve "Level". Look at their diagrams, the reference to "Level", and the arrows being displayed.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:48 AM

Bubble caster/camber gauge is much easier to use. Don't need no newfangled digital contraptions.
Huskinhano and patrickstapler like this.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:00 AM

Are these tools easy to use? How do you get the car to sit at a consistent ride height after adjustments? Is it just just a matter of cycling the suspension over and over and checking the your alignment tool multiple times?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguelito2.0 View Post
Are these tools easy to use? How do you get the car to sit at a consistent ride height after adjustments? Is it just just a matter of cycling the suspension over and over and checking the your alignment tool multiple times?
The tools are fairly easy to use, once you know what you are doing.

If you have stock type rubber bushings, never tighten the suspension while the car is on jack stands. set the car down with the weight on the tires, then tighten the bolts. When aligning, after you make an adjustment, roll the car back and forth, this will settle the suspension. You may have to make adjustments several times because the adjustments are all interrelated. You may have to sort of sneak up on the adjustments to avoid over adjusting. It's just trial and error for the most part. Like anything that's an art, the more you do it, the better you become at it.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus68 View Post
I don't know about everyone else, but I think they should fire whoever it was that chose those symbols for that display. For me, those arrows do not show the actual direction of tilt but instead the direction you would have to move it in order to achieve "Level". Look at their diagrams, the reference to "Level", and the arrows being displayed.
Looking at the instructions again, I believe you're right. I think the easiest way is to remember that you want the arrow closest to the wheel pointing up. That will indicate negative camber as well as positive caster when the unit is in caster mode.

Early 65
1998 5.0, fitech efi, holley in tank returnless pump
4R70W transmission with USShift quick 2 controller
3.00:1 8" open rear end
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I went to that link that was posted and found the instructions. I did not get all 3 pages that are on the site. At least now I have them.
I am still confused by the wording on page 2 and 3. One says this little icon must be on the display screen when normal (or caster) use. Push zero if not on. The next page leaves out the (or caster). So when I measure Camber the icon must be on the screen. But the instructions say move the wheel 15 degrees, level the gauge and then hit zero. The little icon never comes on when measuring caster. But it says it has to be on. After you move the wheel and level the gauge, it says hit zero. Now 0.0 should be flashing. No icon is on. So it says to hit zero to make it come on. When I do that, the reading goes back to what it was before I zeroed it. Should the little icon be on when measuring caster?
Any body have one like this? What do you do when measuring caster?

Thanks for any help.

Da Bears
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:55 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
They do have videos on using the gauge. Hopefully this helps. If the link doesn’t work, try googling.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
This might help... but of you've used custom parts....your settings may be different. These are STOCK settings....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheelalignment.jpg (163.2 KB, 2 views)

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page