Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Old thread resurrections

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  GypsyR 
#1 ·
There have been a few old threads brought back to life lately.

My guess is that new members/members who don't post very much can't find the 'Post New Thread' button.

Just being on the home page, active topic page, new post page (or any page really), the 'Post New Thread' button does not present itself.

I realize that you need to be IN a forum to post a new thread, but I bet new members/guests don't.

#2 ·
There's nothing wrong with resurrecting an old thread....as long as it pertains to the subject that you are talking about...

:eek:)

Tony K.

Reactions: watto1
#3 ·
#4 ·
Its really rather easy to resurrect an old thread if you're not paying close attention. The main VMF page has a whole list of old threads titled popular discussions and a google search for any specific topic on an old mustang will net you as many as you can stomach.

#17 ·
I have never understood how the main page builds its list of popular discussions. It seemingly randomly picks old threads and hi-lights them versus showing active topics.

Reactions: Huntingky
#5 ·
Since the forum has been tied in with Google search (and incidentally, hosted on Google's servers) more than a few people have been attracted to the forum by some antique thread that popped up through a Google search and then they feel compelled to join and reply to that thread for some reason. As long as it isn't commercially motivated, I don't mind really. Some of those old threads remind me of members long gone that were prime reasons for me joining the forum myself. LOTS of great info and discussion back in the archives. OK, and some weird stuff that frankly doesn't need to see the light of day again too.

#7 ·
I am not complaining, but I rarely use the built in search feature on VMF as it is far inferior to what I get on Google (for VMF links). And yes that pulls up old threads which I often find my answer... I think a lot of people that resurrect old threads are new to forums in general and don't know any better. I agree though that it is cool to see old threads sometimes, and often they are still totally relevant.

But near 20 year old threads should probably stay dead....

#9 · (Edited)
Isn't that the way it should be?

I'm all for the resurrection of old threads. You learn a lot from past members.

#18 ·
Good point. I have my preferences set to bypass that and just go straight to the forums. The "main page" indeed is weird and will very often pick a thread not only many years old but one that no one has posted to in years and label it "popular". You can't really blame people for getting sucked into one of those and not noticing the actual dates on them until too late. I like to pretend I know what I'm doing but more than Once I've been happily reading along a thread and not realizing how old it is until I catch that a reply is from a person I know hasn't been part of the forum in years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.