Change Oil/ Spring or Fall? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 19Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Question Change Oil/ Spring or Fall?

When is the best time to change oil? Spring before you start it up after a winters nap or in the fall just before you but it away for the winter.

I run full synthetic and put less than a 1000 miles a year. (Only have it out May through Sept.)

66 Mustang Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:14 PM

Since you live in the Great White North, and you put only 1,000 miles on the oil, I would suggest changing the oil in the spring. This would be to remove any moisture which may have accumulated over the winter.

In reality, you'd be fine if you didn't change the oil. Any moisture would quickly dissipate when the engine gets to operating temperature.

That's my take, anyway.
Fitch likes this.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:18 PM

My thought is end of season. Removes contaminants instead of sitting in motor all winter.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:34 PM

There are 100 opinions on this.
Since cost is fairly cheap compared to building an engine, and advice from my builder, I do oil changes in both fall and spring...

In spring after initial start up and driving few weeks with the 10w-30 I put in it in fall, I switch up to 10w-40. Engine builder said in warmer weather it'll raise your pressure a bit more.

In fall you don't want to store/ let sit old oil as the acids from gas normal wear, just sit inside engine (longer term storage it'll eat at bearings). I use 10w-30 so thinner for early cool weather start up.

Overall for cheap insurance for my 390. Perhaps a bit over kill but i'll sleep better
silverblueBP likes this.

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <[email protected]>

Last edited by sixtysevenGTconv; 08-24-2019 at 02:36 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:46 PM

How much acids and contaminants can there be after 1,000 miles?

As you say, can't hurt to change it before and after, but dollars to doughnuts it makes no difference.
stephen_wilson likes this.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
Since you live in the Great White North, and you put only 1,000 miles on the oil, I would suggest changing the oil in the spring. This would be to remove any moisture which may have accumulated over the winter.

In reality, you'd be fine if you didn't change the oil. Any moisture would quickly dissipate when the engine gets to operating temperature.

That's my take, anyway.
I AGREE and thats pretty standard for motorcycles that are garaged all winter.

Cliff
1966 Blue Hardtop. 200 CID with 3 Speed Trans
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
How much acids and contaminants can there be after 1,000 miles?

As you say, can't hurt to change it before and after, but dollars to doughnuts it makes no difference.
In my comment I did say oil weight change also.
As noted in my pic, and profile, I'm running tri-power.
With way more carburation than most any here, my oil gets much dirtier than way quicker. So I have to change mine out as I do...

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <[email protected]>
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:37 AM
Supporting Member

always change the oil before the car sits for any extended length of time.

Not an opinion, but fact: your engine has blow by, to a lessor or greater degree. That blow by is acidic in nature. It does mix with your oil, and creates a very nice acid bath for your bearings to marinate in ALL WINTER LONG. Get the motor good and hot, then change the oil. Your bearings will thank you.

Z

PS note:

Especially if you've ever, even once, driven the car for less than 20-30 minutes. Short driving times do not allow the moisture in the oil to burn off, creating a moisture laden sludge that's not doing a great job of lubrication. Changing the oil gets rid of some of it, and good synthetic oil and longer drives will keep sludge from forming in the first place.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:17 PM

Change before you put it away for long periods of time. and run it next season. As someone who was mainly a performance boater, That's what we do. You keep it inside I assume. your oil will be fine or next year, if you don't feel comfortable change it then also. But as others say, the important thing is not having used oil for storage because of the caustic reasons. Hey my first post. I just got back into the mustang arena from boating all my life.
zray and dobrostang like this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 11:39 PM

Garage
The best thing, would be to drive your car more.
zray and 66#3 like this.

'67 coupe, 390, 4spd.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:16 AM

Garage
I'm in the camp with the end of season crowd. Also will add, when I do fire up the old girl, I go for a minimum ten mile, or so, run. I believe it not only charges the battery, but, it allows the engine to reach its full operating temp, thus, burns up all of that nasty stuff that "Z" and others have mentioned. However, I am guilty, at times, since I don't put thousands of miles on the engine, I may change the oil only and not the filter. Many times the oil still has its golden hue. If it weren't for the fact my DD runs 5W-30, two are diesel, and one is Mobile 1, I would recycle it in them.

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:02 AM
Supporting Member

[QUOTE=Davey65Hipo;10229372 "......... Hey my first post. I just got back into the mustang arena from boating all my life.[/QUOTE]

welcome to the VMF.

I belong to / monitor many auto and vintage auto enthusiast web sites. The VFM by FAR has the best all-around group of people contributing. Not just knowledgeable, but knowledgeable without an attitude. Sounds basic, but you'd be surprised how many vintage car web sites have a snobbish atitute and have more cliques than there were in high school. Not here though.

Z

PS. is it true the 2 best days of boat ownership are the day it's purchased, and the day it's sold ? I hear that said, but I've never had the pleasure of owning anything that floated., all the boats I've enjoyed were on temp. loan to me so missed out on the buying and selling part.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post

PS. is it true the 2 best days of boat ownership are the day it's purchased, and the day it's sold ? I hear that said, but I've never had the pleasure of owning anything that floated., all the boats I've enjoyed were on temp. loan to me so missed out on the buying and selling part.
No. The only people who say that are the people who buy junk and donít maintain it. Boats are great. So great that I have 2 of them and use them frequently.
silverblueBP, zray and dobrostang like this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsroof69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post

No. The only people who say that are the people who buy junk and don’t maintain it. Boats are great. So great that I have 2 of them and use them frequently.
I agree. I owned a small boat while I was living near Savannah, GA and really enjoyed cruising out to the islands of the intercoastal waterway. Once I moved to Colorado Springs I didn't have as many places to use it so I sold it. Not because I wanted to just because it wasn't getting used. Now that I am in Texas I wish that I had it. Simple maintenance of a boat goes a long way in keeping the experience pleasure able. BTW. I sold bought it for $1200 and sold it for $1500 so no they aren't always a money pit.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:29 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
I probably have one of the dumber questions in an oil thread, how long to you run the engine with the new oil before putting the car into hibernation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page