Values of 69 fastbacks and mach 1s - Vintage Mustang Forums
 52Likes

post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Values of 69 fastbacks and mach 1s

Hello,

I have a question for the community.

Are these values of mach 1 and fastbacks inflated right now? And does the impending recession mean the prices on these will readjust once we are in a recession?

I have been watching, and even in the last week or two seen some mach 1s come off of places like ebay or hemmings and go back up for more. Why are the 69s now becoming so much more popular? 10 years ago getting a 67 was just as hard. Now it seems like it has flipped.

Thanks for the input and will keep watching.

I am not new to forum, old logon doesnt work and dont use that email anymore.

If anyone does have a good driver, for reasonable money (dont care about collecting or show cars, want to drive and enjoy) please let me know.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishinvest View Post
And does the impending recession mean the prices on these will readjust once we are in a recession?
Well, damn...

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, not trying to bring the mood down. Just trying to be prepared.

I am not in a rush and can wait to get the price i want. I just want to have cash ready so when someone sells one at a great deal I can grab it quick.

Be prepared though. Never assume times will always be good.

The pendulum always swings....

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Also, does anyone know where to find historical data on the values of these cars? I would be interested to see the fluctuations of value over their lifetimes.

Thanks.
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:18 PM

It seems your asking for some investment advice ? Well. here's some. don't buy an old car, expecting to make a profit, it's a loseing proposition. Brian

5R09A 4 Speed GT Built 5/29/65
9T02R 4 Speed SCJ Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic

Last edited by Brian Conway; 08-25-2019 at 01:24 PM.
post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

I canít see prices dropping, these are old cars with a finite number still available; less each year.
schweigert likes this.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

No, not making an investment. This is going to be a non concourse or show car. A driver to be driven and enjoy. Not to resell. I only car about being able to afford it, not the investment value.

I ask about waiting because my budget is limited and everything right now feels just out of reach.
post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:00 PM

Garage
What recession? You watch too much MSM news.

Concours not Concourse.

Buy what you want when you want/can afford it. Life is way too short.

Mark

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

What is msm news?

Sorry, i actually do not watch tv. However i work (am not myself claiming to be) with very intelligent heads of businesses and financial gurus. This isnt me hoping, it is me preparing. They say the signs are there. So I want to financially be ready to do what I need to get by and survive.

Recessions happen, they always do and will. I would bet all i own that another will come. Just look at history.

Anywho, thanks for the correction on spelling. I will make mistakes in my posts, but it is honestly because i dont care to waste the time anymore to be correcting as many as i make with my sausage fingers on my phone. So I apologize on advance for any spelling errors.
post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 03:15 PM

Mainstream Media...

The recession talk was started because of the inversion of the 2 year to 10 year treasury note.

"Earlier Wednesday, the yield on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note was at 1.623%, below the 2-year yield at 1.634%.
The last inversion of this part of the yield curve was in December 2005, two years before a recession brought on by the financial crisis hit.
A recession occurs, on average, 22 months following such an inversion, according to Credit Suisse."

If you are in the financial position of "what I need to get by and survive", I would advise not to buy an old Mustang...especially what has become one of the most desired models made. It will cost you up front to buy a good one, or over time to restore one.

Allen
[email protected] likes this.

post #11 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 03:31 PM

If you truly believe there is a recession in the near future, wait. The "toys" are always the first thing to get dumped when a person thinks they are in a financial bind.
As for me, I refuse to participate.
post #12 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the feedback, i honestly do.

When i said prepping to get by, i meant as a general statement. I mentally have been preparing to get this as a gift for my wife. So its ok. But I do understand the cost of building one is steep. I can appreciate that.

I guess what I am wondering is if anyone remembers what happened in the last recession. After 2008, did prices on these dump? I just honestly dont remember. I wasnt looking to buy or sell anything then so never looked at market.

I know that is not a predictor of what will happen, but i weigh all factors.

I do agree tho that life is short. If the ideal thing came up for a reasonable price, even if it was a little.more than i wanted I would do it. The issue is nothing has yet been that ideal and I feel as if prices are a little inflated right now. Maybe falsely? Are the values of the boss and machs making owners of regular fastbacks think they should get more or are they worth that?

Again these are all questions I am asking because I dont know. Just trying to feel this market out which i have no experience exploring.

Thank you everyone for the feedback.
post #13 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:17 PM

good solid nice driver fastback will always demand a good price so just be prepared if something you like pops up and then you can ask us if good deal! Wes
post #14 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:18 PM

To me, it all depends on the sellers (not Marks) position. I recently purchased a '69 Mach 1 that had been in storage since 2004. It came with most of the parts needed and had been painted right before going into storage. I paid 10k for it and currently I have ~12-12.5k in the car. The lady that owned it is getting up in age and she had two of them so she was ready to let this one go. It's not perfect but I will attach a couple of pictures.

My point is, recession, no recession, you can find good deals. It will take some time, most of the time, to find a "good" deal on one. Maybe the prices will raise or lower according to economic upturns and downturns in big auctions, but the car your looking for has really just been on a slow and steady rise for some time now. It is imperative that you are in the financial position to take advantage of a deal when it comes along. If you aren't, someone will be.

I recall a '69 being posted on VMF from an ad in Orlando, FL the day it was listed. I called after seeing the VMF thread and it had already sold (same day).

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M1-35.jpg (342.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg M1-57.jpg (409.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg M1-37.jpg (352.5 KB, 27 views)

post #15 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:00 PM

Thatís a good looking Mach 1 Allen.
subpar63 and Turnall like this.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in