Suspension Upgrade - Vintage Mustang Forums
 23Likes

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Suspension Upgrade

Looking to replace my shocks and struts. The majority of what I've seen were Monroe, KYB and even Scott Drake. Not sure about Scott Drake products yet but is one better than the other or are they all made in Singapore or China?

My dog's name is Pickles. I'm pretty sure he enjoys it because whenever I call him he wags his tail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
No struts on a Mustang made before 1979.

IMHO, best shocks out there... Koni's (adjustable and rebuildable). Bilstein's next on the list. KYB's so-so... you buy cheap you get cheap. No experience with S-D but my guess is that it's a relabeled Chinese import. Monroe? Yeah....nope.
mustang1969, rbohm and 2nd 66 like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post

IMHO, best shocks out there... Koni's (adjustable and rebuildable). Bilstein's next on the list. KYB's so-so... you buy cheap you get cheap. No experience with S-D but my guess is that it's a relabeled Chinese import. Monroe? Yeah....nope.
I think there is a set of Monroes on there now but not sure how long. I've been happy with the Bilsteins on my Tacoma so far, didnt know they made ones that fit classics.

My dog's name is Pickles. I'm pretty sure he enjoys it because whenever I call him he wags his tail.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:48 PM

Call John at https://opentrackerracing.com or Shaun at Street or Track LLC for Bilsteins. They're both great vendors that have Bilsteins for our old mustangs and they're both great to work with.

It really seems as if there's no middle ground for shocks for our cars. Either cheap parts store shocks that ride like cheap parts store shocks, then the next step up is Koni or Bilstein. I will say that I think the Bilsteins are worth the price.

Early 65
1998 5.0, fitech efi, holley in tank returnless pump
4R70W transmission with USShift quick 2 controller
3.00:1 8" open rear end
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:39 AM

If you have the money either Koni or Bilstein. I have Bilsteins I bought from Street or Track. I'm very happy with them.
rbohm likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:50 AM

SOT! SOT! Street or track, side note, much of the stuff the opentracker sells is from SOT.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:26 PM

Are these the street Koni's that everyone is issuing?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k.../model/mustang

I'm replacing the factory shocks on a '66 v8 coupe but not running it hard. My only other question is does the non adjustable shock really make a (bad) difference?

You never know until you ask.

2nd owner 1966 Mustang Coupe V8.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 04:43 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclark View Post
Are these the street Koni's that everyone is issuing?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k.../model/mustang

I'm replacing the factory shocks on a '66 v8 coupe but not running it hard. My only other question is does the non adjustable shock really make a (bad) difference?
The non adjustable is not a bad shock. What makes a bad shock in my opinion is the valving. I believe the 50yr old style valving that a lot of the shocks have make the old cars drive like an old car. We have found that when you put a shock with modern valving on an old car, it drives more like a newer car. The non adjustable Bilstien shocks are an example.

Proud VMF Sponsor

Vintage Mustang Suspension

www.opentrackerracingproducts.com
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:55 PM

Thanks Opentracker.

While doing the shock upgrade, What do I need to do in order to level the car up a little. I don't want it absolutely level but just a little.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:48 PM

Interesting. I just went to Bilstein's website and put in 1966 Ford Mustang Base car in their find products for your car and it says "Sorry we could not find any results".

I'll most likely be calling somebody tomorrow. Not sure If I want Koni or Bilstein. It seems it's a Coke vs Pepsi type conversation.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post

these are the three best shocks out there for the early cars. and i prefer them in the order listed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentracker View Post
The non adjustable is not a bad shock. What makes a bad shock in my opinion is the valving. I believe the 50yr old style valving that a lot of the shocks have make the old cars drive like an old car. We have found that when you put a shock with modern valving on an old car, it drives more like a newer car. The non adjustable Bilstien shocks are an example.
spot on. the nice thing about adjustable shocks is the ability to tune them to track conditions easily. but non adjustable shocks work quite well also.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
these are the three best shocks out there for the early cars. and i prefer them in the order listed as well.
For the Koni, where is the best place to get them. I saw on Open Tracker, but those are Racing. I just need a good shock for the street. I like the price of the non adjustable Koni but I will pay for the adjustable street. I didn't see Koni street at Open Tracker nor Street or Track. They both seem to be mainly Bilstein.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 11:51 PM

I got QA1 non adjustable based on using them in circle track. Theyíve got a single adjustable as well. I have Bilstein off road on the Ranger and had Bilsteins on the Spec Miata. I see too much emphasis on shocks on VMF rather than the suspension as a whole. Iíd rather have a couple of spring rates than an adjustable shock (not to be confused with different valved non adjustable shocks) Spring rate, ride height and corner weights are going to make a bigger difference in handling than a shock alone. Shocks control the rebound of the spring which is an important part but not one thatís the most important, or even dictates handling more than the other parts. I can have custom valved Penske or Ohlins but it wonít matter a tinkerís damn If I have worn, broken/bent or poor quality suspension parts or if the valving isnít right for my springs.

Iíd say for 9 out of 10 here at VMF wonít be able to tell an adjustable shock from a non adjustable or even the different valving. Though 7 of those 9 will argue they can. For you driver guys with stock suspension get a good non adjustable shock and make sure the rest of your suspension is up to spec. If you are really into performance unless you want to be swapping springs at the track coil overs are the way to go. At that point the adjustability of the shock will be more advantageous because youíll also be tune the parameters that will help you get the most out of the car. As long as your shocks are valved right you wonít miss adjustable shocks. If youíre cruising around or just occasionally beating on it youíll be fine with a quality non adjustable. Keyword quality as in somewhere around $100 or so.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeJosephDredd View Post
Looking to replace my shocks and struts. The majority of what I've seen were Monroe, KYB and even Scott Drake. Not sure about Scott Drake products yet but is one better than the other or are they all made in Singapore or China?
If it's in the budget look at Viking Shocks. Made in Minnesota, very high quality, double adjustable too.
Huskinhano and vegasloki like this.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasloki View Post
I got QA1 non adjustable based on using them in circle track. Theyíve got a single adjustable as well. I have Bilstein off road on the Ranger and had Bilsteins on the Spec Miata. I see too much emphasis on shocks on VMF rather than the suspension as a whole. Iíd rather have a couple of spring rates than an adjustable shock (not to be confused with different valved non adjustable shocks) Spring rate, ride height and corner weights are going to make a bigger difference in handling than a shock alone. Shocks control the rebound of the spring which is an important part but not one thatís the most important, or even dictates handling more than the other parts. I can have custom valved Penske or Ohlins but it wonít matter a tinkerís damn If I have worn, broken/bent or poor quality suspension parts or if the valving isnít right for my springs.

Iíd say for 9 out of 10 here at VMF wonít be able to tell an adjustable shock from a non adjustable or even the different valving. Though 7 of those 9 will argue they can. For you driver guys with stock suspension get a good non adjustable shock and make sure the rest of your suspension is up to spec. If you are really into performance unless you want to be swapping springs at the track coil overs are the way to go. At that point the adjustability of the shock will be more advantageous because youíll also be tune the parameters that will help you get the most out of the car. As long as your shocks are valved right you wonít miss adjustable shocks. If youíre cruising around or just occasionally beating on it youíll be fine with a quality non adjustable. Keyword quality as in somewhere around $100 or so.
Very well well said. Back when I was making that jump from my Monroe Matics to something more in line to the capability of my suspension's ability GT289 had mentioned to me previously about Viking. He wasn't recommending them to me but rather in a casual conversation about a new shock on the market competing with QA1. So now this shock is buzzing through my mind about a new wiz bang product. Having these high end shock would really be something. Then back to reality. What do I know about tuning shocks? I'd be better off with something where someone a lot smarter then I had worked out settings for my suspension which were the SoT Bilsteins. All I can say is I saved a lot of money not buying the Vikings or any other shock in that league. Would I be able to desseminate a Koni, or QA1 or Vikings, probably not. What I got was a shock with valving designed to work with my suspension at a reasonable price that works well. I'm glad I did the smart thing.
vegasloki likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page