Car show last minute clean. - Vintage Mustang Forums
 8Likes

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Car show last minute clean.

I am going to be taking my 69 Fastback to a local American car show for the first time on the 1st of September since I have completed its respray. I have also joined a local Mustang club that I have just discovered and they will have a club stand at the show and said I can have my car on the stand. So I am extremely happy about that.

I will obviously clean the car in the days running up to the show. But what do people do to get any driving dirt, etc off of their car when they arrive at a show? There would be no running water to use, so whatever I do would have to be completely carried there in my car. My car is by no means a Concours car, but I want it to look the best it can.

What do people do as a final clean after arriving at a show?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:32 AM

Bring her in a trailer, covered..!

Josep

https://mymustangintexas.wordpress.com

1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - AT Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS PT DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36
Email me at [email protected]
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:36 AM

Didn’t he just say his car is not a trailer queen 😜..
aslan likes this.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:42 AM

Do ALL your cleaning prior to the show - inside and out. Get it as clean as you can.
When you arrive at the show just wipe it down with your favorite detailer spray and a quality microfiber. Wipe the wheels and engine bay down after you do the paint.

It all depends on how far your driving to get to the show, what the weather is like (if it is raining while you drive there) and how clean the car is before you leave your house. It really should only take you 20 minutes to an hour at the most to clean it up when you arrive - depending on the above variables.
Garth66 and Josep like this.

1967 Sports Sprint 289 Coupe
2007 GT/CS
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:48 AM

You could also use Rain-X waterless car wash to clean it up at the show. Works just like a quick detailer.

Sent from my Z2_PRO using Tapatalk
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

The car will have to be left outside overnight before the show. There is no rain forecast, so fingers crossed the weather will be okay. But even dew that will land on it overnight will leave dirty marks on the paint.

Things like detail sprays and waterless car washing are all new to me. I will need to Google some products.

I guess it is an American thing, but trailer queens are not seen that often in the UK. Even Concours cars get driven to shows. I have seen the odd trailer car, but it is normally some sort of race prepared car that is not road legal.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 07:15 AM

Chemical guys Speed Clean and very soft microfiber rags. I would top it with ceramic coat first.

...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. CI Aliminum Head, Holley 350,
Schneider 264/274 cam, Headers, Recurved DSII, MSD 6A, and a whole lotta other stuff!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep View Post
Bring her in a trailer, covered..!
Well, obviously I was making a joke.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFive-O View Post
Do ALL your cleaning prior to the show - inside and out. Get it as clean as you can.
When you arrive at the show just wipe it down with your favorite detailer spray and a quality microfiber. Wipe the wheels and engine bay down after you do the paint.

It all depends on how far your driving to get to the show, what the weather is like (if it is raining while you drive there) and how clean the car is before you leave your house. It really should only take you 20 minutes to an hour at the most to clean it up when you arrive - depending on the above variables.
Probably this method is the best choice for your car.

Josep

https://mymustangintexas.wordpress.com

1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - AT Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS PT DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36
Email me at [email protected]
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 09:28 AM

Garage
Never use dish soap or anything with alcohol on the body, they both strip vital oils from the paint. Rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol makes an EXCELLENT cleaner for glass and chrome and it is very cheap. Perhaps a car cover or a portable tent with weighted feet to cover the car before the dew will make it easier to detail in the morning. You can Google show tips just as you can detailing products. And remember to have FUN ! !

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 09:29 AM

Garage
0ne of the reasons I dont go to shows anymore

everyone spraying their cars down and the over spray gets all over my glass and chrome

clean it at home , drive it park it leave it alone
kenash likes this.

1970 Mach 1 San Jose built Dec 23 1969. Marti 1 of 7. Purchased in 1987. Original family owner of the power train
351C 2v FMX.

1993 GT 13,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Bought 8/3/93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof, AC. Unmolested all original car. Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:44 AM

I like this method for waterless wash. You'll need a lot of microfiber towels.
For product I've used Wolfgang Concours Uber Rinseless Wash but hear that Optimum No Rinse Wash (ONR) is good too.

You're going to want to make sure you get the right microfiber towel too. There are different blend that affect absorbtion.

If you really want to geek out on detailing, check out the other videos on the AMMO NYC channel. As you can see in his microfiber vid, this guy really gets into it

Last edited by DonP; 08-29-2019 at 10:52 AM.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:57 AM

If your just driving it over to the show in nice weather you don't need a waterless wash, detailer spray will work just fine.

2007 GT/CS
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Power View Post
0ne of the reasons I dont go to shows anymore

everyone spraying their cars down and the over spray gets all over my glass and chrome

clean it at home , drive it park it leave it alone
Not sure how that happens, a little mist on the towel is all they should be doing. However, I DO get irritated when the person next to me breaks out the aerosol can of tire shine and any slight breeze carries that crap all over.

2007 GT/CS
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for even more replies. Lots of advice, products to check out and some videos to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstcar66 View Post
And remember to have FUN ! !
And this is something I will definitely do. I do not take showing my car too seriously. I just want it to look nice and I am not into entering competitions and just like to turn up and enjoy all the different cars there.

Last edited by JRFox; 08-29-2019 at 02:26 PM.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:30 PM

You'd be surprised how much rubber gets on the back fenders. I wipe down the treads of my tires and make sure there are no rocks in them. Clean the bugs out of the radiator with a tooth pic. I use 2" wide blue tape reversed wrapped in a loop (sticky side out) and pick up all debris from the carpet. Get rid of finger print smudges on your chrome handles, etc. I like to use a bit of wax on a cloth to clean the bumpers and chrome. check for any dead bugs on the front end, parking lamps, head light trim rings, etc. Clean your antenna....this is missed a lot.

But like others said, do all your cleaning at home...then just simple touch up at the show.

Raining on the car does not get it that dirty....it's when you drive in the rain.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

68 GT Vert - J Code (1st car I ever drove in '73, dad bought it in '71)
67 C Code Vert Sports Sprint (1st car I ever bought in '75)
06 Vista Blue with Pony Package (1st Mustang I ever bought new)
MCA #49294 Grayson, GA (Atlanta)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page